• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Female enlightened master Rajini Menon on attaining enlightenment by adhering to virtuous conduct...

ajay0

An insightful article on female enlightened master Rajini Menon attaining enlightenment just through adhering to virtuous conduct.

lifepositive

If you do right, irrespective of what the other does, it will slow down the mind. - Rajini Menon

Interestingly, a similar teaching of Swami Satchidananda comes to mind in this regard...

“When even one virtue becomes our nature, the mind becomes clean and tranquil. Then there is no need to practice meditation; we will automatically be meditating always.” - Swami Satchidananda

I would say this showcases the importance of virtues and virtuous conduct as taught in the Dharmic religions.

Last edited:

Samana Johann

Restricted by request
“When even one virtue becomes our nature, the mind becomes clean and tranquil. Then there is no need to practice meditation; we will automatically be meditating always.” - Swami Satchidananda

So is it Brahman Ajay, so is it. Cetana Sutta
(but at the same time: it's hard, especially for householder to trace those walking toward liberation or possible have even arrived there. One mark for sure: an awakened is not capable to life a householder life. For his support toward such to find, here: A Study Guide on the First Stage of Awakening

Nevertheless, the topic was about where to talk on virtues, here on a so called religious forum, and still it seems to be a hard task to find place for such and people who rejoice in providing space for such in proper manner.

So it's merely or better simply a matter of "may it be of use for those possible rejoice on beneficial" to appear here for short time.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
One mark for sure: an awakened is not capable to life a householder life.
This is different from the Hindu view, where it is eminently possible for the enlightened to fulfill his/her duties as a house-holder. Nearly all Hindu enlightened masters were family persons. The essence is summed up in BhagawadGita:

"Karma-jaṁ buddhi-yuktā hi, phalaṁ tyaktvā manīṣiṇaḥ;
janma-bandha-vinirmuktāḥ, padaṁ gacchanty anāmayam." BhagawadGita 2.51

Meaning: karma-jam — due to fruitive activities; buddhi-yuktāḥ — being engaged in wise acts; hi — certainly; phalam — results; tyaktvā — giving up; manīṣiṇaḥ — great sages or devotees; janma-bandha — from the bondage of birth and death; vinirmuktāḥ — liberated; padam — position; gacchanti — they reach; anāmayam — without miseries.

Translation: By engaging in wise acts and by not expecting any return of their actions, the sages rid themselves of the results of their karmas, in this way they become free from the cycle of birth and death and attain the highest state without any miseries.

Basically, just do your duty and forget about results. Samana Johann, we have our different views, but the goal is the same. Metta. :)

ajay0

One mark for sure: an awakened is not capable to life a householder life.

There are enlightened ones do not lead a householder life due to personal choice, just as there are unenlightened ones who also choose not to lead a householder life.

And at the same time, there are enlightened ones like the ancient king Janaka, Rama, Krishna who lead householder lives, and Lahiri Mahasaya, Kabir, Guru Nanak, Eckhart Tolle, Rupert Spira in the modern era who lead married householder lives.

Rajini Menon, though not married, works as a government bureaucrat in India.

Vipassana teacher S.N.Goenka and his teacher Sayagyi U Ba Khin, the first Accountant General of Burma, are householders as well.

Dr. Frederick Lenz was also a college professor in english literature, software engineer, music producer and author.

Nevertheless, the topic was about where to talk on virtues, here on a so called religious forum, and still it seems to be a hard task to find place for such and people who rejoice in providing space for such in proper manner.

Yeah, I agree wholeheartedly, considering the importance of the theme.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
I do agree that the environment you are in does make a difference. You can be consummate in virtue and still have everyone projecting their psychological garbage at you, which can be stressful, especially if those throwing their psychological garbage at you have authority over you. Some people just delight in committing such psychological torture.

Samana Johann

Restricted by request
Again off-topic, but as a matter of regard doubts to be approached:

And at the same time, there are enlightened ones like the ancient king Janaka, Rama, Krishna who lead householder lives, and Lahiri Mahasaya, Kabir, Guru Nanak, Eckhart Tolle, Rupert Spira in the modern era who lead married householder lives.

Rajini Menon, though not married, works as a government bureaucrat in India.

Vipassana teacher S.N.Goenka and his teacher Sayagyi U Ba Khin, the first Accountant General of Burma, are householders as well.

Dr. Frederick Lenz was also a college professor in english literature, software engineer, music producer and author.

There are certain people who, while leading a houselife can and could attain what is called "ceto-vimutti", awareness release, as it might be the case of the lady Brahmana Ajay had reported. One thing is that certain awareness release must not be in relation of any, what is called "pañña-vimutti", "wisdom-release". There are also four states of awakening to the truth of which lay-people theoretical could reach even the stage of Arahat, but at this stage, if one is not capable to join the Sangha, or to live the holly live, one would die within a week, living on only what is given. Which of course would not burden an Arahat much.

Usually, at the stage of once-returner, people are no more capable to lead a life of trade and sensuality. Only less are fortune, given by there circumstances, that they would be able to live in a household with wise people and served of what is required.

In this days one would hardly find recluses, monks at the stage of first awakening, not to speak about laypeople, yet there are those who are not actually simply trader.

Even such as "privat-awakening", pacceka-buddhas, happens, especially then when the Sangha of the Buddha has disappeared (in times of there existence, those would join it), but my person is not aware of any relayable report that a femal person gained Buddhahood (as such counts as impossibility) or a female person gained Arahat-fruit outside the Sangha of the Noble one. Yet there are many, had been many female Arahats, also female householder who reached certain stages.

But, as often already told, it's actually not the place there are actually no proper circumstances to go much into things here.

Brahman, as well as others, are always welcome to leave house and stand here and make use of given space for such, yet it should not be a matter of disturbance here in your gatherings. May all do as they feel fit and fine.

Samana Johann

Restricted by request
Oh... just saw that the post had been cut off already from its origin (it would be good when such would be traceable)

I do agree that the environment you are in does make a difference. You can be consummate in virtue and still have everyone projecting their psychological garbage at you, which can be stressful, especially if those throwing their psychological garbage at you have authority over you. Some people just delight in committing such psychological torture.

It's the 1st and main outwardly condition, that leads either downward, to stagnation or fast upwardly and householder might be interested in the mau aspects of the first prerequisite for grow:
Admirable friend [kalyāṇamitta]

What makes me an admirable friend, how do I recognize a good teacher? This place is dedicated for any questions in regard of admirable friends, teachers, Sangha. [more Info]

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Usually, at the stage of once-returner, people are no more capable to lead a life of trade and sensuality. Only less are fortune, given by there circumstances, that they would be able to live in a household with wise people and served of what is required.
You may read the story of Dharmavyadha (the pious Butcher) in Bhagawat Purana (just Google about it). It has both the examples. A women running a household and a butcher selling flesh, both attained enlightenment in their own ways (basically by performing their duties honestly). Sex too is a duty and something for which we have nothing to be ashamed of if done within the limits of 'dharma', for a man to please his wife and for a woman to please her husband. It is part of the four 'purusharthas' (done things) in Hinduism (Kama). Of course, Buddha said differently. Metta.

But Buddha said many things which are not in Hinduism, e.g., 'Kalama Sutta'. That is why I consider Buddha as my guru.

Last edited:

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
You may read the story of Dharmavyadha (the pious Butcher) in Bhagawat Purana (just Google about it). It has both the examples. A women running a household and a butcher selling flesh, both attained enlightenment in their own ways (basically by performing their duties honestly). Sex too is a duty and something for which we have nothing to be ashamed of if done within the limits of 'dharma', for a man to please his wife and for a woman to please her husband. It is part of the four 'purusharthas' (done things) in Hinduism (Kama). Of course, Buddha said differently. Metta.
Neither of these are "duties" I'd like to take up. I'm grateful that I'm not forced into these duties by society, which historically, has not always been the case.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Neither of these are "duties" I'd like to take up. I'm grateful that I'm not forced into these duties by society, which historically, has not always been the case.

Duties for mankind are not universal. Buddhism, Jainism, and Hinduism, all have long standing traditions of monasticism.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Well, exceptions are always there. We had Gargi, the RigVedic poetess, who refused marriage for spiritual quest.

ajay0

Here is an interesting conversation between the female enlightened sage Anandamayi Ma and a disciple...

Question: Suppose an atheist lives an ethical and righteous life. Is he on a lower level than a faithful devotee?

Ma Anandamayi : An ethical life purifies the mind. Even though one may have no faith in God, if one believes in some Superior Power or pursues a high ideal, this also will serve one's purpose. By living an ethical life, one progresses towards the realization of the Divine.

Through this Ma Anandamayi too, like Rajini Menon, states that an ethical and virtuous life, is a spiritual exercise in itself and is potent enough to bring about enlightenment on its own.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Here is an interesting conversation between the female enlightened sage Anandamayi Ma and a disciple...

Question: Suppose an atheist lives an ethical and righteous life. Is he on a lower level than a faithful devotee?

Ma Anandamayi : An ethical life purifies the mind. Even though one may have no faith in God, if one believes in some Superior Power or pursues a high ideal, this also will serve one's purpose. By living an ethical life, one progresses towards the realization of the Divine.

Through this Ma Anandamayi too, like Rajini Menon, states that an ethical and virtuous life, is a spiritual exercise in itself and is potent enough to bring about enlightenment on its own.

Belief without ethics has no value. The Yamas, and Niyamas are totally about ethics. Starting point.

ajay0

Presenting the full transcribed interview with Rajini Menon for better comprehension and understanding of the theme...

https://www.lifepositive.com/a-light-unto-herself/

Would you like to share a little about your journey?

There was no journey as such. I had no idea that there was anything like self-realisation. There was just the life. And what was special about the life was that there was righteous living right through, which is definitely not easy. One day I found myself at the point that people call self-realisation.

What do you mean by righteous living?

Righteous living means listening to your inner voice. Your conscience. We can always hear the inner voice, even as a small child.

Would you like to give me some examples of righteous living?

It goes right back to my childhood since I was in the third standard. After I was put to bed, I would review my whole day. I would hold my ears if I did something wrong, and appreciate myself if I did something right. I would correct myself. Ok, that girl threw my eraser away. But why did I take her eraser and throw it away? What she did was wrong, but I should have done what was right from my point of view. Then perhaps next time, I would not throw her eraser, but I would think ill of her. So I would tell myself, it is good that you did not throw her eraser, but you did not think right.

Amazing to be so aware at this young age. Is it that your parents gave you strong values?

Yes, they have taught me many good values. But they also would ask me at times, where did you get all this from? Once I, my brother, sister and parents had all gone to a temple. After coming back, my father took me on his lap and asked, “What did you pray to God?” I said, “Give me good thoughts and give the strength to act on them.” He was amazed. I was in the 6th standard then. He asked, “Who taught you all this?”

What are some of the circumstances that arose out of righteous living?

By the time I was leaving school, righteous living had become spontaneous in me. My father had a transferable job and I was in Delhi for my 11th standard. I had joined my new school when I contracted dengue and had to take leave for one week. On the command of their leader, none of the girls would give me their notes when I rejoined. These things would not affect me at all. Soon after, this leader also fell ill with dengue. I took my notes to her and told her, “In case, you don’t understand, you can ask me, and if you don’t want my notes, then you can take from someone else.” It was my luck that she took it. And she then became my best friend, even in college.

At work, there was one person whose life was difficult and therefore he lost his temper easily. He used to shout and scream at me, I would not say anything. After my transformation, one day, I went to this person and told him, “Whatever you speak or do, I simply would never do anything against you. In fact I will pray for you and your family too. If I retort to you, the consequence of some of your actions will be nullified to some extent, but as I am not doing that, the impact will be fully on you. I also pray that nothing bad should happen to you because nature’s course will take its toll.” After some six months, I suddenly noticed that this person had totally changed towards me. Not fully towards others but towards me. It is now three or four years since then, but the change still remains.

If you do what is right, irrespective of what the other does, it will slow down the mind. If you are working in an office and one or two are doing something against you, you will always be tense. Your sleep is destroyed. But if you have the policy that you will be thinking, speaking and doing only what is in accordance with your inner voice, irrespective of what others do or not, then how does it matter what the other does? You sleep well. And thoughts become less.

How did your transformation happen?

That particular evening I was so disturbed that I went into my room, closed my eyes and sat there. That was when everything dropped from me. The only thought that came to me was that I was the soul and my attention went to the heart region spontaneously. In a fraction of a second or so, I felt I was floating – a very light feeling. And bliss. And an unending expanse! It went on like this for hours but the change was instant. There were no questions. A no-question mind is so peaceful. As if everything was known to me. As though I was seeing everything through a crystal clear glass.

After this moment of transformation, everything changed. I would feel like a royal king moving around – as if everything was under my control. There were no changes outwardly, my circumstances were the same, but there was a total sea change inwardly. I would walk on the road with my no-mind; I would work in the kitchen with my no-mind. No thoughts whatsoever were coming. In the office, only where it was needed for me to think, such as when processing a file, would I think. Moreover, I suffered from many physical problems too for maybe a couple of years before, but all of them disappeared overnight never to return.

In no-mind, the range you can see is wide. I walk on the road, and see absolutely everything; at the same time, not looking at anything. Earlier, when I walked on the road, I would look at every shop window, attracted to so many things. With no-mind, nothing attracts me. And I have so much energy. I am never tired. All night I take a thin bed sheet, spread on the floor with a thin pillow and lie down in shavasan, close my eyes and lie there totally aware with absolutely no thoughts. I can hear even a pin. And it is more energising than even deep sleep. Because, there is no mental activity to drain away the energy.

When the body is relaxed physically, I can lie down all night totally aware without either the body or the mind moving even a bit. Otherwise, sleep comes for some time depending on how tired the body is.

Could you throw more light on your inner transformation?

The transformation, though overnight, was never an overnight process. In Chemistry classes we do the acid-base titration experiments. The final drop from the pipette changes the colour of the solution in the beaker. But were not the earlier drops significant? Similarly, righteous living all through life purified me and enabled the overnight transformation.

In 2000, my life crashed. After that I was in intense pain, which even led to depression. Of course, no one could make out. I was always well-dressed and cheerful. But my inner story was not like that. That agony continued till the time the change happened in 2008. The one thought when I came out of it was, I should share this with everyone. Everyone is in grief. It is such a simple thing. You just stop your thoughts.

So difficult …

I did not know that. When this happened, I just found that I was able to stop my thoughts as and when I wished. When people began to ask me how to do it, then only I realized it was difficult for others.

Just a couple of months before the transformation, in order to cope with my intolerable situation, I used to throw off Rajini. I would say, “I ask Rajini to turn about and stand there” and gave a kick. Then I let the inner Divine function instead. I correlate the Divine with many things like the river or a tree. Whoever comes to it, the river gives water, the tree gives shade, without discriminating. Similarly, the deity in a temple has its hands in the abhaya mudra. If a dacoit came and stood in front of the deity, the deity would not put its hands behind him. The Divine can do anything. It is only Rajini who cannot. So why have her here? Earlier, Rajini would do everything the inner conscience asked her to do; but when Rajini was unable to do this, as the situations were getting tougher and tougher for her, I threw her off and let the Divine take over.

What do you plan to do now?

I feel the only worthwhile thing for me to do is to guide sincere seekers. That gives me the greatest satisfaction. However, there are few sincere seekers. Janaka said after getting enlightened by Ashtavakra. “Why are there not more Ashtavakras?” Ashtavakra said, “The shortage is not of Ashtavakras but of Janakas.” In all these years, I have understood that. I used to think that even if a mad elephant was rushing towards me, I would answer the questions of a spiritual aspirant. But there are few true seekers.

Are you still in a state of no-mind?

Yes, once a permanent no-mind state is attained it does not vanish. Rather, when the mind vanishes, no-mind happens (laughs). In fact, the mind vanishes permanently and the ‘no-mind state’ does not leave you even while you are involved in activities.