• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Female Deity for the Modern World?

Dlaw

Hi All,

New member here.

My daughter (7) has always had her own personal theology and it's very definite. There is Jesus, God (who is much more like an Angel in her mind) and Mother Nature.

I was wondering if people knew of any deity that I could use in discussions with her. The Virgin Mary does not seem right as she is liable to offend somebody by equating Her with Mother Nature.

Any suggestions for my little born feminist?

Thanks

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Although not equitable with mother nature, that was the age my friend started teaching her girls about Greek and Roman deities, and the girls ended up really latching on to Gaia, Mother Earth. Might be worth looking into. Gaia - Wikipedia

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Hi All,

New member here.

My daughter (7) has always had her own personal theology and it's very definite. There is Jesus, God (who is much more like an Angel in her mind) and Mother Nature.

I was wondering if people knew of any deity that I could use in discussions with her. The Virgin Mary does not seem right as she is liable to offend somebody by equating Her with Mother Nature.

Thanks

Off the top of my head, there Gaia in Greek mythology, Danu in Celtic mythology, or my personal favorite, Kali from Hinduism.

Treks

Edit: Sorry, I misread your OP. Have adjusted the below accordingly.

What's wrong with just "Mother Nature"? Mother Nature is practically a modern "deity" in her own right. Why does it have to be more complicated than that?

Have you asked your daughter to tell you more about Mother Nature? If you must equate the concept with some other deity, it might help you to try to match your daughter's description to some other deity.

I just wonder if it will confuse her cosmology if she has a Christian framework already and you introduce another god besides Jehovah (which could get complicated when she finds out that Jesus/God doesn't play well with other gods)?

Best of luck.

Dlaw

Off the top of my head, there Gaia in Greek mythology, Danu in Celtic mythology, or my personal favorite, Kali from Hinduism.

These and the other posters' suggestions are great.

I plan to teach my daughter about Christianity from a historical perspective and about the Universe from a scientific perspective. How would you intergrate one of these deities into that kind of teaching?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
These and the other posters' suggestions are great.

I plan to teach my daughter about Christianity from a historical perspective and about the Universe from a scientific perspective. How would you intergrate one of these deities into that kind of teaching?

Great question.

For me, my daughter grew through childhood with Christian ideals, not so much from me, but from my family. For me, earth based religions made much more sense. My daughter was able to reconcile her beliefs with both the Abrahamic God and Mother Goddess, as it made sense to her that if there was a masculine divine, then by all rights, there must be a feminine counterpart. In her view, Jesus, while born physically of the Virgin Mary, was a product of the God and Goddess.

Looking back, this was less an integration through my teachings of my worldview than it was her having an understanding of both the Christian worldview and mine and reconciling them on her own.

Last edited:

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Greetings Flaw.
Welcome to RF!

How about explaining to her that ineffable beings are genderless, neither female or male. They aren't even alive, by biological standards.

That the sort of categories that 7 year olds use have little to do with Reality.

Perhaps explain to her that God is rather like Santa Claus. Fun to believe in, but don't take the details too seriously.
Tom

Vouthon

Dominus Deus tuus ignis consumens est
Staff member
Premium Member
@Dlaw actually, no Catholic is likely to be offended if your daughter were to equate the Virgin Mary with mother nature.

She's not a goddess but Eastern Orthodox do call her "god after God" since she is the most perfect exemplar of a glorified, divinized human. We venerate and pray to her as the Mediatrix of all Divine Graces and Queen of Heaven:

Mediatrix of all graces - Wikipedia

Mediatrix of all graces is a title that Roman Catholics give to the Blessed Virgin Mary as the Mother of God; it includes the understanding that she mediates the Divine Grace. In a papal encyclical of Sept. 8, 1894 Pope Leo XIII states the following:

"The recourse we have to Mary in prayer follows upon the office she continuously fills by the side of the throne of God as Mediatrix of Divine grace"[1]

— Pope Leo XIII, Iucunda Semper Expectatione
The Second Vatican Council referred in its document Lumen gentium to Mary as "Advocate, Auxiliatrix, Adjutrix and Mediatrix"
The "Mary Garden" is a venerable tradition in Catholicism and Anglo-catholicism:

Mary garden - Wikipedia

A Mary garden is a small sacred gardenenclosing a statue or shrine of the Virgin Mary, who is known to many Christians as the Blessed Virgin, Our Lady, or the Mother of God.[1] In the New Testament, Mary is the mother of Jesus of Nazareth. Mary gardens are most common to those Christian denominations which hold the Virgin Mary in special esteem, particularly Roman Catholics and Anglicans.

We have developed many beautiful names for Our Lady (as well call her) based upon nature:

Nature and Mary : University of Dayton, Ohio

Mary was seen as "the Rose wherein the Divine Word was made incarnate", of Dante and of the central rose windows of the medieval cathedrals.

Then - possibly inspired by the "relics" of Our Lady brought back to Europe by crusaders and pilgrims returning from the Holy Land - numerous flower symbols were discovered of Mary's apparel and household articles, for reflection on the life of the Holy Family in Nazareth.

As supports for meditation and emulation, other flowers we seen as symbols of her virtues, excellences and mysteries.

Since flowers were universally present in nature, with similar symbolic forms in various localities and countries, they time and again presented a spiritually quickening surprise recognition - both for the traveller, coming round a bend in the road, and for the villager encountering the new blooms of each season.

Informed of these flower symbols, we, too, can share in such discoveries today as we encounter the very same blooming flower species in all their freshness while walking past city gardens or window boxes; walking or driving through the countryside; or cultvating them in our own Mary Gardens.

When any actual graces are received through the pious emotions, affections or illuminations excited while beholding such symbolical flowers - especially if they have been sacramentally blest, as in a garden - Mary, Mediatrix of all graces, is indeed present through her mediating action.

Frances Crane Lillie, founder of the mother Mary Garden of the present day Mary Garden movement, at St. Joseph's Church, Woods Hole on Cape Cod, Massachusetts, was so conscious of this experience in the garden that she entitled the leaflet listing the Flowers of Our Lady in this garden, "Our Lady in Her Garden".

And for those who have received the gift of the sense of Our Lady's presence, this sense is quickened by the beholding of Our Lady's Flowers.

Persons with such a sense were likely those who first named flowering plants encountered with some likeness to a human form for Mary, such as "Little Mary" (Zinnia elegans), "Queen Mary" (Aechmea mariae-regina), "Our Lady of-the-Meadow" (Filipendula ulmaria), "Our Lady-by-the Gate" (Saponaria officinalis), and "Our Lady in-the Corn" (Papaver rhoeas).
Perhaps you could make a Mary Garden with her and discuss both the botany (science) as well as the symbolic spiritual significance of the different flowers as "symbols of her virtues, excellences and mysteries."

Last edited:

Cooky

Veteran Member
Hi All,

New member here.

Thanks

...Apparently, the Holy Spirit is responsible for the creation of nature.

How Was the Holy Spirit Involved in Creation?
What a beautiful picture of God preparing to bring life into the world through His Spirit! God designed all of creation for life—our life. “By His Spirit [God] adorned the heavens” (Job 26:13)

The Hebrew word for “Spirit” is often translated as “wind” or “breath” in the Old Testament. The same word is found in Psalm 33:6, where we again catch a glimpse of the Spirit’s work in creation: “By the word of the Lord the heavens were made, and all the host of them by the breath [Spirit] of His mouth.”

Vouthon

Dominus Deus tuus ignis consumens est
Staff member
Premium Member
More information on how to create a Mary Garden, in case you are interested:

mary_garden_pic.jpg

Mary Garden :: Catholic News Agency (CNA)

If you, too, would like to honor our Blessed Mother through flowers, perhaps you would like to create your own special garden spot that showcases plants that carry her name.

The center focus of the garden is a statue of Our Blessed Lady. The size of the garden does not matter. In fact, people with limited space can use a small area and a few select flowers to surround their statue. If you are an apartment dweller, you can set up your Marian Garden in a window box or even use a small statue with a single flowering plant.

Reflecting on Marian flowers can be a perfect starting point for meditating on the life of Christ through Mary.

To help set up a Marian Garden, flowers and their meanings are listed below. This list is far from complete but should give you enough information to begin.

1. Lily: Legend tells us that the Angel Gabriel held a lily in his hands when he came to tell Mary that she was chosen to be the mother of the Savior. Lilies are often depicted in pictures of Mary as an indication of purity and grace.

2. Rose: The rose symbolizes Mary as the Queen of Heaven. The red rose represents sorrow. The white rose shows joy, and the yellow rose stands for the honor bestowed upon Mary.

3. Columbine: This flower is often called Our Lady's Slipper. Legend says that this flower sprang from the earth where Mary's feet stepped when she was on her way to visit Elizabeth.

4. Violet: The violet is a symbol of modesty and simplicity; humble acceptance to the words from the angel Gabriel...."Let it be done unto me according to Your will."

5. Carnation: Legend says that the carnation bloomed on the night of Jesus' birth; a sign of Mary's joy at the Child's birth.

6. Oxeye Daisy: It is said that when the wise men reached Bethlehem they looked for a further sign to guide them to the new king. King Melchior saw a white and gold flower and knew which building to enter.

7. Star of Bethlehem: The shape of the flower is said to resemble the star that the Magi followed to find the Christ Child.

8. Snowdrop: The snowdrop is said to have bloomed in February when Mary took Jesus to the temple to present him to God.

9. Rosemary: It is believed that Mary hung the linens of the Holy Child on the rosemary bush to dry. Afterwards, the bush carried a sweet aroma.

10. Forget-me-not: The tiny blue flowers of this plant represent Mary's eyes.

11. Meadow Cress: This plant is called Our Lady's Smock. It stands for the fine linens made by Mary's hands. It is said that Mary learned to weave as a young girl.

12. Lavender: This fragrant plant represents purity, cleanliness and virtue – Mary’s spotlessness and chastity.

13. Marigold: Early Christians placed marigolds around statues of Mary in place of coins calling them Mary's gold.

14. Bluebells: These bell-shaped flowers resemble tiny thimbles and represent Our Lady's working hands. They were often called Our Lady's Thimbles.

15. Speedwell: This plant is also known as Mary's Resting Place. A legend tells that its blossoms marked each spot where the Blessed Mother rested during the flight into Egypt.

16. Lily of the Valley: Lily of the Valley is called Our Lady's Tears. It is said that her tears fell at the foot of the cross and turned into tiny fragrant blossoms.

17. Iris: The Iris is a flower, like the Lily, that represents the Annunciation.

18. Herbs: Almost any herb can be used in your garden to represent Mary. Soothing and healing herbs represent her heavenly love and mercy. Bitter or sour herbs represent her sorrows and sweet smelling herbs reflect Mary's spiritual sweetness.

19. Fuchsia: These gently drooping flowers resemble pendant earrings. It is said that the child Jesus playfully hung these flower ‘jewels' on his mother's ears.

20. Fleur-de-Lis: This is sometimes called the Ave Maria flower. There is a legend that tells of a fourteenth century knight. He was extremely wealthy but renounced his worldly possessions and entered a Cistercian Order of monks. He was very devout but not terribly smart. He could never remember more than the first two words of the Ave Maria prayer even though a teacher gave him numerous lessons.

Since he loved Our Lady very much, he would continually repeat the first two words of the prayer, day and night: Ave Maria, Ave Maria. Some of the monks ridiculed him for his simplicity and told him that Mary would not listen to his unfinished prayer. He grew old and when he died, he was buried in the chapel yard of the monastery.

As proof that Mary heard and loved his short but earnest prayer, a fleur-de-lis plant sprang up on his grave. On every flower shone in golden letter the words, Ave Maria. The other monks finally realized his great devotion for the Blessed Mother; and her devotion to him.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Hi All,

New member here.

Thanks

Hi.......... Welcome to RF..... :)

As a Deist the nearest name that I can get to for my Deity is Mother-Nature, so your daughter seems to have clicked on that early on.

What a smart young lady your daughter is!

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Hi All,

New member here.

Thanks

I think the Greek and Celtic goddesses are the most nature affirming. I do tend to like Gaia myself though.

Dlaw

Everyone who gave me ideas, thank you. These are all good.

From what you've all said, I think my challenge will be to back up Mother Nature in historical and theological context as in "this is what people have thought of Mother Nature before".

BTW, Atheists, her mother and I are atheists and at least I have admitted as much, but at 7 apparently she's a theist and I'm bound to respect that.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Hi All,

New member here.

Thanks
My sister was attracted to the god ISIS. (Which has nothing to do with the terrorists for ya millennials.)

TheresOnlyNow

The Mind Is Everything. U R What U Think
If your daughter is fond of animals there's Diana.
Diana • Facts and Information on the Goddess Diana

If her name happens to be Diana that is extra special for a little one to realize.

It's great that she's a young feminist. Just as long as she doesn't follow the leading of groups like NOW, and see herself as a perpetual victim because she's female.
Female is the power in this world. Contrary to what so many patriarchal traditions have sought to impose as male dominance in all things. Even the creator of all there is being male.
Our bodies grow babies. And we sustain them from our body when they're born.
No life or future of human kind happens without us.
We are not therefore perpetual victims of men or a patriarchy. We can create our future for ourselves, and give it life from within ourselves.
Goddess Bless. :)

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
In India, Ramakrishna was devoted to the Divine Mother. This song is recorded in his works: Full text of "Gospel Of Sri Ramakrishna, The Mahendranath Gupta"

In Wisdom's firmament the moon of Love is rising full, And Love's flood-tide, in surging waves, is flowing everywhere. Lord, how full of bliss Thou art! Victory unto Thee!

On every side shine devotees, like stars around the moon; Their Friend, the Lord All-merciful, joyously plays with them. Behold! The gates of paradise today are open wide.

The soft spring wind of the New Day raises fresh waves of joy; gently it carries to the earth the fragrance of God's Love, till all the yogis, drunk with bliss, are lost in ecstasy.

Upon the sea of the world unfolds the lotus of the New Day, and there the Mother sits enshrined in blissful majesty. See how the bees are mad with joy, sipping the nectar there!

Behold the Mother's radiant face, which so enchants the heart and captivates the universe! About Her Lotus Feet Bands of ecstatic holy men are dancing in delight.

What matchless loveliness is Hers! What infinite content pervades the heart when She appears! brothers, says Premdas, I humbly beg you, one and all, to sing the Mother's praise!

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
In India, Ramakrishna was devoted to the Divine Mother. This song is recorded in his works: Full text of "Gospel Of Sri Ramakrishna, The Mahendranath Gupta"

In Wisdom's firmament the moon of Love is rising full, And Love's flood-tide, in surging waves, is flowing everywhere. Lord, how full of bliss Thou art! Victory unto Thee!

On every side shine devotees, like stars around the moon; Their Friend, the Lord All-merciful, joyously plays with them. Behold! The gates of paradise today are open wide.

The soft spring wind of the New Day raises fresh waves of joy; gently it carries to the earth the fragrance of God's Love, till all the yogis, drunk with bliss, are lost in ecstasy.

Upon the sea of the world unfolds the lotus of the New Day, and there the Mother sits enshrined in blissful majesty. See how the bees are mad with joy, sipping the nectar there!

Behold the Mother's radiant face, which so enchants the heart and captivates the universe! About Her Lotus Feet Bands of ecstatic holy men are dancing in delight.

What matchless loveliness is Hers! What infinite content pervades the heart when She appears! brothers, says Premdas, I humbly beg you, one and all, to sing the Mother's praise!

If memory serves, it was Kali that Sri Ramakrishna revered as the Divine Mother.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I had one other thought - spiritual teachers if that becomes a focus. There was the Mother of the Sri Aurobindo ashram in India. And there are some living teachers. But here a word of caution: not everyone who asserts that she is a spiritual teacher is really one. Care is needed if she's interested in this area.

GoodbyeDave

Congratulations to you Dlaw, for being open minded! Mother Nature sounds fine to me.

How about explaining to her that ineffable beings are genderless, neither female or male.
Since you call yourself an atheist, you presumably haven't met any gods, so how would you know?

Perhaps explain to her that God is rather like Santa Claus. Fun to believe in, but don't take the details too seriously.
And an atheist who believes in indoctrinating children, just like an evangelical.

Reactions: syo