• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fellow Liberals please tip your delivery cyclist.

JIMMY12345

Restaurants always had a tough time. Low margins rule. Fast food chains serve large portions of bad food. Expensive restaurants serve miniscule portions of good food. A unfriendly virus COVID and a more friendly ally united these distinct groups. The delivery cyclist was the friend. Shops desert slowly and steadily to go online. Charity shops infiltrate to fill in the ugly missing molars. Restaurants are the last line of defence in deserted shopping high streets.

During 2020/2021 a large number of cyclists mobilized. From the UK to the US. From Dubai to India. They ensured food supplies got through. To coin a phrase. First time every time. These heroes’ braved freezing artic temperatures and dark scary nights. They risked life and limb pedalling furiously through dodgy neighbourhoods . Their companions on the solitary long tiring rides. Mushy snow biting on tire tread or baking temperatures. Outpacing massive dogs running and sniffing at their heavy backpacks.

Working couples with small kids. With also no time to cook depended on their lifeline. As did COVID isolators unable to visit food shops. Demand meets with scant reward low wages. Just add injury to insult. Poor or non-existent tips. (This of course does not apply to CTC supporters. All are good people who tip well). Do not underestimate the cumulative number of pedal delivery cyclists. They are large.

Imagine. 6 pm the algorithm flashes. It tells the delivery cyclist orders are available 3 miles North of Cycle town.10 mins later the algorithm barks again. If anyone wants, there is an order to pick up 3 miles south of Cycle town. Common sense would say to do this efficiently. Read get hot food to house on time at least if you want to stay in business. You need a literal army of cyclists. This drives the rate per hour. It drives it right down to nothing. Note the idle time waiting for orders at non peak times. Hence the problem. Defy anyone to pay a living wage. It defies logic. One reason the system survives. It depends on people who cannot find better work elsewhere.2/3 jobbers or struggling student actors.

In the City are big Trust fund companies. They love the financial model. However, citing ethical concerns many steer away. Support of some of the IT platforms runs contrary to conscience. At the heart of their reluctance is a realization. Cyclists at the bottom of the pyramid. They support the structure. They also get nothing.

What might help delivery cyclists need is a hourly paid rate based on the minimum wage. Not one on deliveries made or distance or other. If the algorithms catch and they will some a cyclist not performing. Do the necessary. Waves in the sea often part. Companies and poorly performing cyclists should not be an exception. However, pay a fair rate. Worldwide exploitation of cyclists. Now that is just modern slavery.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
In the U.S. it's long been customary to tip whoever delivers your food to your door. Not tipping them is generally scowled upon.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
In the U.S. it's long been customary to tip whoever delivers your food to your door. Not tipping them is generally scowled upon.
Someone who delivers food to my door is no different in my book from a waiter. People rely on tips to survive and thus we tip.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
We don’t tip generally. But that’s because we pay a liveable wage. If you can’t afford to pay your staff you shouldn’t be in business. That’s the general attitude here.

Though arguably that wage needs to increase based on the increasing prices of everything right now. Possibly due to the current pandemic. (Which I would favour. Either that or lowering prices of everything.)

I do remember working as a waitress in high school and having to politely decline tips from American customers. Because it’s nice, but you know I wasn’t being paid like a dollar an hour or something lol

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
We don’t tip generally. But that’s because we pay a liveable wage. If you can’t afford to pay your staff you shouldn’t be in business. That’s the general attitude here.

Though arguably that wage needs to increase based on the increasing prices of everything right now. Possibly due to the current pandemic. (Which I would favour. Either that or lowering prices of everything.)

I do remember working as a waitress in high school and having to politely decline tips from American customers. Because it’s nice, but you know I wasn’t being paid like a dollar an hour or something lol
I don't disagree. Waiters and delivery staff should be paid properly as not to be dependant upon tips as they are here. That and the tipping culture is completely inconsistent and arbitrary when it comes to who you should and shouldn't tip, how much, etc.
Maybe a tip if they go above and beyond.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't disagree. Waiters and delivery staff should be paid properly as not to be dependant upon tips as they are here. That and the tipping culture is completely inconsistent and arbitrary when it comes to who you should and shouldn't tip, how much, etc.
Maybe a tip if they go above and beyond.
Yeah that sounds more reasonable to me. A tip should be a “well done, here’s something extra” not your wage, imo