• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fellow Christians may I have a moment of your time? Christian Only!

Dunemeister

We're just going to have to live with a foundational spiritual truth, namely, the gospel of Christ is foolishness to Greeks and an offense to Jews. It's offensive to Jews because our gospel entails the death of the Jewish Messiah, a notion that is anathema to most Jews (at least it was anathema to them at the time the New Testament was written). It's foolishness to Greeks because it involves such ideas as resurrection because "we all know" dead men stay dead. And why should some ancient Palestinian peasant be so important, anyway? So we're just going to have to live with the fact that what we have to say is foolish or offensive, no matter how we couch the terms, no matter how well we argue our side, no matter how kind our presentation. Hearing what we have to say, the natural reaction of normal human beings is ridicule or incredulity. It's only by the Spirit of God that our words have any effect whatsoever, and I supremely doubt that they'll have much effect in a forum like this. However, we are still called to engage our culture with the gospel, and this forum is one means of doing so, so we ought not to neglect it. Just don't expect sweet-smelling flowers from our audience in response.

Charity

Let's go racing boys !
I guess we are just going to face it we are hated for Christ's namesake. We are walking targets..........The one thing that upsets me the most is when we are in a discussion and someone comes by and calls us stupid or says we are crazy for believing a myth.......

IT'S FUNNY WHEN WE PICK AT A FLAW WE ARE CRITICAL BUT IF THEY PICK AT A FLAW THEY ARE JUST BEING PERCEPTIVE

Fish-Hunter

Rejoice in the Lord!
I guess we are just going to face it we are hated for Christ's namesake. We are walking targets..........The one thing that upsets me the most is when we are in a discussion and someone comes by and calls us stupid or says we are crazy for believing a myth.......

IT'S FUNNY WHEN WE PICK AT A FLAW WE ARE CRITICAL BUT IF THEY PICK AT A FLAW THEY ARE JUST BEING PERCEPTIVE

A little bit of Calvinism for you... my brothers and sisters in Christ: :slap:

Philippians 1:29:
For it has been granted to you on behalf of Christ not only to believe on him, but also to suffer for him,

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
If you use bigoted words like "Islamofascist" you should not wonder why they call you a bigot. If you support war, you will probably be called a murderer! Some Christians show a unique intolerance for others and it boggles my mind that they are upset for being called out for being hypocrites!

I Peter 3:13 Who is going to harm you if you are eager to do good? 14 But even if you should suffer for what is right, you are blessed. "Do not fear what they fear; do not be frightened." 15 But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, 16 keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander. 17 It is better, if it is God's will, to suffer for doing good than for doing evil. NIV

Jeremy Mason

Brothers and Sisters in Christ, I would like to ask a question.
I would be truly interested in other Christian's opinions on this subject.

Do you think that we should have to defend our beliefs in this forum?
If you feel like it...give to people according to their ability/maturity. "don't give your gold to dogs or your purls to pigs".

Should we tolerate being called uneducated close minded bigots?
It's a dirty job...

While I believe in turning the other cheek, the insults seem to have become more brazen lately.
I think we might be entering a time when brazen attacks will happen frequently.

Is the popular opinion here at RF that anyone who believes in an afterlife is stupid and uneducated or is it just me imagining things?
I hope not but here's what Jesus said,

Matthew 10:21-31 (NIV)
21"Brother will betray brother to death, and a father his child; children will rebel against their parents and have them put to death. 22All men will hate you because of me, but he who stands firm to the end will be saved. 23When you are persecuted in one place, flee to another. I tell you the truth, you will not finish going through the cities of Israel before the Son of Man comes.
24"A student is not above his teacher, nor a servant above his master. 25It is enough for the student to be like his teacher, and the servant like his master. If the head of the house has been called Beelzebub,[c] how much more the members of his household!
26"So do not be afraid of them. There is nothing concealed that will not be disclosed, or hidden that will not be made known. 27What I tell you in the dark, speak in the daylight; what is whispered in your ear, proclaim from the roofs. 28Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell. 29Are not two sparrows sold for a penny[d]? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from the will of your Father. 30And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. 31So don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.

NoahideHiker

Religious Headbanger
Brothers and Sisters in Christ, I would like to ask a question. Do you think that we should have to defend our beliefs in this forum?

While I believe in turning the other cheek, the insults seem to have become more brazen lately.

Is the popular opinion here at RF that anyone who believes in an afterlife is stupid and uneducated or is it just me imagining things?

I know, I know, you said christians (I was a former christian, does that count?) only but I agree with you. I see a great deal of people here simply not being able to handle any view other than their own. I see it on the political threads a lot. If you notice the people who are the most offensive also tend to have to get the last word in. It's insecurities. As long as you say you're right then they are wrong. They can't handle that.

Kai'a

Freethinker
Speaking as someone who believes in Jesus Christ, but unsure about otherwise stances on things yet *and* more as someone who is interested in these forums-

I don't believe it should be necessary to keep getting flamed and disrespected for own faith, Christian or not, in the name of turning the other cheek. Not meant to tell anyone you're 'doing it wrong', btw. Just saying people have the *right* to defend their important values, their faith, and even if willing to 'stand it', have a right to not *suffer* for it.

nocturnalavalonian

Seeker of Knowledge
There is a lot of anti-Christian bigotry around and I notice that a lot of the atheists use the more extreme fundamentalist examples to tar us all with the same brush. Nowadays, unless it's on a moderated forum like this one, I simply refuse to get into religious discussions at all, as more often than not the other person is just looking for a reason to force their views down our throats (something they often complain of us doing, even we who don't), so usually if someone at work or wherever asks me what my beliefs are or what my opinion on such and such is, I tell 'em to mind their own business, and if an atheist or some other religionist tries to start a discussion on religion I immediately cut them off mid-sentence with "Sorry, don't do religious discussions, I just live it , don't talk it, I keep my conversation to the weather, if you wanna discuss anything else, you'll have to find someone else to discuss it with, GOODBYE!"
Probably wrong of me an' all, but I never lose any sleep over it, and it keeps the proselytisers and biggoted know-it-alls out of my face. It's sad to have to be like that, but I didn't create the situation and there's only so much I can take of it. Of course, if someone approaches me in the right way and clearly wants to genuinely learn about what my beliefs are without forcing theirs on me then everything I just said can be ignored.
On a forum like this it shouldn't be tolerated at all and you should alert a mod if it happens.

Last edited:

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Rev, I really like this forum, in spite of the inclination of some people to resort to personal insults and attacks (and some who label themselves as Christians are just as bad about this as others). And I agree with others who have said that this particular forum is practically a PARADISE compared to some others online.

I also realize that you know this, but it bears repeating - no one is forcing anyone to come here to debate and discuss. So no, we're not forced to defend our faith here - or anywhere else. Our participation is completely voluntary.

Like you, I rarely report any post or member - in fact, I can't remember the last time I did that. I prefer to hold my own ground, or make it clear I'm not playing sophomoric little games and make a graceful exit. If a thread or a forum participant gets too insulting or petty or ridiculous, I just state, "That's it - I'm outta here," and literally do not return to that thread, or quit responding to the person(s) hurling insults and inflammatory rhetoric.

If I allow myself to get angry, frustrated, or emotionally riled up - I've given that poster power over my emotions. Believe me, I don't relinquish that power very often.

That being said, I understand your frustration. Sometimes things do get tiresome around here. It's people like you who make my time here rewarding.

Biblestudent_007

Brothers and Sisters in Christ, I would like to ask a question. Do you think that we should have to defend our beliefs in this forum?

If you required to, yes.

If you're in obedience to what it says in the OT/NT holy scriptures, yea.

. . .

It says in Corinthians - (The wisdom of this world is foolishness to God-)

Last edited:

Otherright

Otherright

I think you should defend yourself only if you feel the need to. I have found on here that some people will call you uneducated, regardless of the subject, if you don't believe exactly as they do.

I have also found that there are really good Christian theological discussions going in in various parts of the forum that atheists tend to veer away from, as they aren't really educated in that area, and therefore have no opinion on it.

In the end, this is a debate forum and sometimes it requires a tough skin.

pwfaith

Yes and no. We should always be prepared to have an answer for what we believe and why. But it should be done with gentleness and respect. I think if you feel yourself getting to the point where you can't respond with respect, then it is time to politely walk away. I think there is also a need for wisdom and discernment. When a discussion gets to the point of 'beating a dead horse' or it is clear there can be no agreement/common ground found or the one questioning is only doing so to mock, it is another good time to politely walk away.

But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, 1 Peter 3:15

That's a tough one for sure. I have been on many debate sites over the last 10 years. Many of which where I was in the minority as a Christian. Some of the sites had rules, others were a free-for-all basically. I can only think of a handful of times I have had to hit the report button though. I agree with others that there is no excuse for personal attacks. For me personally there is a difference in a statement like "All Christians are bigots" - while untrue and obnoxious to make, it's their opinion and I try to respect their right to feel that way - however if instead they said "you are a bigot" - I consider that a personal attack and unnecessary. Same for things like "your acting like a B****" as opposed to "you B****" kwim? It's a fine line but to me there is a difference.

I use to be bothered by being told I was uneducated, closed-minded and a bigot, until I started to "consider the source" so to speak. I don't mean that in a rude way, as it might sound but in a realistic way. Ussually those saying it were simply coming from a vastly different worldview than I was, and if my worldview was solid in the Word of God and before Him I was speaking truth, in love, I was truly ok with the others view of me, understanding the worldview they were coming from. I do not need the approval of men, or understanding of them of my faith, only of God. I came to realize, I'm ok with being closed-minded sometimes, and do not see it as a bad thing as it is implied to be.

There are times I have had to chuckle to myself at those using some of these terms. The irony of it sometimes. Often times the one saying is exactly those things as well.

Whoever corrects a mocker invites insults; whoever rebukes the wicked incurs abuse. Do not rebuke mockers or they will hate you; rebuke the wise and they will love you. Instruct the wise and they will be wiser still; teach the righteous and they will add to their learning. Proverbs 9:7-9

A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.
Proverbs 15:1

I agree with turning the other cheek but I also think we are allowed to make a stand for truth, at least until the point we need to use our wisdom and discernment and know when to stop :)

For he vigorously refuted the Jews in public debate, proving from the Scriptures that Jesus was the Christ. Acts 18:28

http://biblia.com/bible/esv/2 Timothy 3.16
All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, 2 Tim. 3:16

Preach the word! Be ready in season and out of season. Convince, rebuke, exhort, with all longsuffering and teaching. 2 Tim 4:2

Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world. 1 John 4:1

But the latter out of love, knowing that I am appointed for the defense of the gospel. Philippians 1:17

And he went into the synagogue and spoke boldly for three months, reasoning and persuading concerning the things of the kingdom of God. But when some were hardened and did not believe, but spoke evil of the Way before the multitude, he departed from them and withdrew the disciples, reasoning daily in the school of Tyrannus. And this continued for two years, so that all who dwelt in Asia heard the word of the Lord Jesus, both Jews and Greeks. Acts 19:8-10

To me this says it all - defend the faith, but know when to withdraw.

I don't think so, or at least in the short time I've been here it doesn't seem to be a popular opinion although I can see it among a few :) Others seem very respectful and kind, and able to agree to disagree and move on to the next discussion.

The Bible tells us we will suffer persecution as did the Lord and the apostles and etc. We have the Truth and the Holy Spirit of Almighty God and the Cross which is an offense and people don't like it. Count it all joy, for great is your reward!

I agree with Mr. Peanut. :rainbow1: As foretold by the inspired Word of God, Christians will face many persecutions in these latter days. But we must not be sad because of these persecutions. Instead, we must be joyful for being persecuted for the name of the Lord because that means the Holy Ghost is upon us. Let us remember the words of St. Peter the Apostle in his first catholic epistle:

I Peter 4:14 (New King James Version)

14 If you are reproached for the name of Christ, blessed are you, for the Spirit of glory and of God rests upon you. On their part He is blasphemed, but on your part He is glorified.

Saved By Grace :)

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One

there seems to be a lot more non believers and critics in the house of late. And yes, i think they do view believers as uneducated and closed minded.

But thats not surprising...people are non-believers because they accept only physical realities and cannot see spiritual ones:

1Cor 2:14 But a physical man does not accept the things of the spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; and he cannot get to know them, because they are examined spiritually.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
I don't think all Christians are being called these things. I think that fundamentalist/conservative Christians are. I am more liberal, so I don't take a literal view of the Bible. When those that interpret the Bible literally fight against things like gay rights, it tends to ruffle feathers.

nazz

Doubting Thomas

First...

Col 4:6 Let your speech always be with grace, seasoned with salt, that you may know how you ought to answer each one.

and...

1Pe 3:15 But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts, and always be ready to give a defense to everyone who asks you a reason for the hope that is in you...

Second, I don't really notice what you are talking about as the boards I was on before were much worse in that regard.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
How do your current views compare with 6 years ago?
My views on same sex marriage has evolved. I still grow tired of being told I am uneducated or ignorant because of my faith. Faith requires no facts just as facts requires no faith.

A thousand years from now, our current science books will look pretty ignorant as well.