• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fellow Christians may I have a moment of your time? Christian Only!

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
Brothers and Sisters in Christ, I would like to ask a question. Do you think that we should have to defend our beliefs in this forum?

Should we tolerate being called uneducated close minded bigots?

While I believe in turning the other cheek, the insults seem to have become more brazen lately.

I would be truly interested in other Christian's opinions on this subject.

Is the popular opinion here at RF that anyone who believes in an afterlife is stupid and uneducated or is it just me imagining things?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Brothers and Sisters in Christ, I would like to ask a question. Do you think that we should have to defend our beliefs in this forum?

While I believe in turning the other cheek, the insults seem to have become more brazen lately.

Is the popular opinion here at RF that anyone who believes in an afterlife is stupid and uneducated or is it just me imagining things?
I don't know, Rick. I can understand why, to you, it seems like Christians are ridiculed and insulted a lot here. To me, and to most other Latter-day Saints, this place seems like a regular paradise in comparison to what we get from other Christians on a lot of other forums.

I don't think anybody should have to tolerate being called an uneducated, close-minded bigot -- especially when it's an uneducated, close-minded bigot who's making the accusation, but I definitely think we ought to go to any debate forum expecting to have to defend our beliefs. If you're talking about having to defend them on the Christian DIR, that's another matter, but then that's what the "Report" button is for.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
I don't know, Rick. I can understand why, to you, it seems like Christians are ridiculed and insulted a lot here. To me, and to most other Latter-day Saints, this place seems like a regular paradise in comparison to what we get from other Christians on a lot of other forums.

I don't think anybody should have to tolerate being called an uneducated, close-minded bigot -- especially when it's an uneducated, close-minded bigot who's making the accusation, but I definitely think we ought to go to any debate forum expecting to have to defend our beliefs. If you're talking about having to defend them on the Christian DIR, that's another matter, but then that's what the "Report" button is for.

I have a high tolerance for pain. I really hate to hit the report button. Usually some red letters telling everyone to chill is more appropriate to me. This is not a complaint about moderation, I am just wondering if anyone else sees a trend or if I am just personalising these things lately.

It seems to me that Christianity is looked down upon with disdain and Christians are thought of as stupid and uneducated for believing in an afterlife.

Muslims and to a lesser extent, Mormons seem to be the biggest targets. This is so wrong! I avoid many muslim topics for this reason and try to come to the defense of Mormons because I know more about you all than I do Muslims.

It is almost like people think we can pick and choose the things we like or dislike about a certain religion. You either are or are not a subscriber to a religion.

Jistyr

Inquisitive Youngin'
I'm sorry that I'm not a Christian, so I probably shouldn't be posting here, but, as an atheist, I feel it is necessary to say that any atheist, or anyone for that matter, who calls a theist uneducated or close-minded, is, in fact, uneducated and close-minded.

I disagree with theists on the core issue of their faith; whether or not God exists, but I find no reason to be disagreeable or insulting. People will believe what they will based upon what they experience in their life, and there is no reason to scorn that.

I understand that a number of atheists are intolerant and bigoted toward you, just as some religious people may, but please remember that the loud minority does not speak for the majority.

Most atheism is subtle and not a big deal, but some people feel like they have something they need to prove.

I suppose this post is a breach of security of sorts, and if it is not welcome, I'll be glad to remove it, but I just wanted to let you know that not every atheist, or person who does not believe in an afterlife, is intolerant and rude.

But I'd like to apologize on behalf of those who are.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
I'm sorry that I'm not a Christian, so I probably shouldn't be posting here, but, as an atheist, I feel it is necessary to say that any atheist, or anyone for that matter, who calls a theist uneducated or close-minded, is, in fact, uneducated and close-minded.

I disagree with theists on the core issue of their faith; whether or not God exists, but I find no reason to be disagreeable or insulting. People will believe what they will based upon what they experience in their life, and there is no reason to scorn that.

I understand that a number of atheists are intolerant and bigoted toward you, just as some religious people may, but please remember that the loud minority does not speak for the majority.

Most atheism is subtle and not a big deal, but some people feel like they have something they need to prove.

I suppose this post is a breach of security of sorts, and if it is not welcome, I'll be glad to remove it, but I just wanted to let you know that not every atheist, or person who does not believe in an afterlife, is intolerant and rude.

But I'd like to apologize on behalf of those who are.
Jistyr, thanks for your post. It was much appreciated.

A

angellous_evangellous

Depends on if our beliefs are being used as evidence in a debate.

No. Please report posts like this. We can attack ideas, but not persons.

Interesting.

No.

Sola'lor

LDSUJC
I don't think I've pushed the report button once. I might have to start using it. I tend to live and let live. I also try to avoid debating. Instead I usually start my statements with, 'I believe...'

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
I know I'm not Christian, but I should say that if you guys don't use the report button, we can't always know that a post is inflammatory. We need you guys to help us with that.

Mr. Peanut

The Bible tells us we will suffer persecution as did the Lord and the apostles and etc. We have the Truth and the Holy Spirit of Almighty God and the Cross which is an offense and people don't like it. Count it all joy, for great is your reward!

tomspug

Absorbant
I think that there are lots of bad reasons that people are negative towards Christians. However, I feel that if people have negative opinions of Christianity on this particular forum, it is probably an opinion based on their own experiences with other Christians.

What's nice about this forum is that, if you make the effort, you can prove people's generalizations wrong. I think you'll find it more rewarding to just turn the other cheek against stupid people, use the report button, and keep your cool. People here will defend you if they get the impression that your voice isn't getting heard, even people of other faiths.

I don't think I would ever hit the report button. There are to many threads going at one time to be concerned with stupid people. (This would be my personal opinion and not subject to the thoughts of others).
I heard a comedian say he got kicked off the debate team in high school for telling his opponent "well f*** you" thinking he would win.
Are you concerned when Islam gets a bad rap?
There are as many different opinions on RF as there are categories.

Captain Civic

version 2.0
I think I know what you're getting at. I know of one guy who just recently joined who thinks any idea of God is illogical and has no plan to discuss; rather, he thinks he's educating us because he's the most logical.

If you're Christian, and you stray outside your house and mention that you are indeed that, you will be hit by it. It is annoying, and frustrating, but I tend to pity those who make comments like that. They are obviously close-minded when they call us that, and they can't even see it. What's worse, being called names by a bigot or being so stubborn as to never realise how hypocritical you are? I'm sure some realise but don't care, but in any case, I prefer the first one.

Taking flak for being Christian is part of being Christian.

Heneni

Miss Independent
I agree with you, we have to take a lot of flack. But often im not sure if its because im saying something stupid or if it is because im a christian.

It seems to me, like people are waiting for a christian to slip up so they can have another excuse not to believe in god.

I have delivered myself from that! I am myself.Im not responsible for someone elses salvation,and god knows im not perfect, so he surely would not have bargained on me to do the 'saving' bits!

All i know is that very often i take punishment not because of what i actually say, but because of who i believe in. If that be the case, im not too bothered, infact if that be the case HALLELUJAH , great is my reward!

If someone dismisses me simply because i serve god, all the better!

But really, i find that among christians there is this rivalry...a kind of wanting to prove that the one is more spiritual than the other. That is unfortunate. But we are all on different levels of understanding and so tolerance is needed. I struggle myself to communicate with the old time religeous folks. I think they remind me too much of the reason i left religion.

There is one bit of information that the non-believers are mostly unaware of...every word that is spoken agains us, is recorded. This is why god is our validator! And whatever measure we are judged with, god judges them. This is why i try to use the bible as my measuring stick when it comes to these things. Interesting, that when i think someone is wrong, and god thinks they are right...he always has this way of showing me .And when someone is wrong and i am wrong too, he shows me the three fingers pointing back. He does this not to show me they are right, but to show me im wrong too. And so, i can even trust him with my misconceptions.He knows how to sort me out! If i dont get the 'fingers pointing back' episode, i know im on the right track. But i never allow someone else to invade my inner peace. There is only one way to keep on track when you are faced with persecution and opposition, you have to know who you are! And when it comes to correcting me, i leave that to god. My conscience is working i believe. And so i dont have to worry to much about insults, they can only hurt me if they are the truth or if i still have an ego.

heneni

Fish-Hunter

Rejoice in the Lord!

I guess you have to define what are the essentials of the Christian Faith before you decide who you are addressing your questions to. The next question that you have to answer in private is " why are you on this forum site?" There are many wonderful Christian only forum site for great fellowship, mutual edification, and growing in the grace and knowledge of the Lord Jesus Christ. If you are a Christian speaking the truth in love on a religious pluarlism website, what else do you expect. The message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, and a great offense to the flesh. What is your primary purpose in life as a Christian?

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
It does seem as if there are a lot more brazen comments these days. But not just from atheists. The fundamentalist Christians appear to be more outspoken, too. Outspoken is fine. That's why we're here. but when it becomes personally inflammatory, I'm using the finger (right on the "report" button).

Fish-Hunter

Rejoice in the Lord!
It does seem as if there are a lot more brazen comments these days. But not just from atheists. The fundamentalist Christians appear to be more outspoken, too. Outspoken is fine. That's why we're here. but when it becomes personally inflammatory, I'm using the finger (right on the "report" button).

It's the sign of the times that the word Christian can mean mutually exclusive beliefs. So, what does being Christian actually mean to each one of us? Do we follow the teachings of Christ in the Bible alone? Or, do we follow additional apparent teachings of Christ from other religious books which speak of Christ... including the Quran? Many religious books speak of Christ, right?

Starfish

Please no sarcasm
Nothing unites people like a common enemy. Maybe the anti-Chritian harrassment will get us to stop bickering among ourselves.

Just a thought.

One thing I've noticed is that whenever anyone starts a thread about being nicer in our posts, everyone agrees, say they'll do better, then goes right back to the bickering.

Fish-Hunter

Rejoice in the Lord!
Nothing unites people like a common enemy. Maybe the anti-Chritian harrassment will get us to stop bickering among ourselves.

Just a thought.

One thing I've noticed is that whenever anyone starts a thread about being nicer in our posts, everyone agrees, say they'll do better, then goes right back to the bickering.

Do you believe in spiritual warfare described in Ephesians 6? We can see Satan as our common enemy, seeking the truth together. But the difficult question is deciding where or what source will determine truth. Do you see the dilemma we are in? On an all Christian forum site, usually the Bible determines truth; however some Roman Catholics appeal to the Catholic Magestrium in our discussions and debates.

10Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. 11Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes. 12For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. 13Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. 14Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, 15and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. 16In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. 17Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. 18And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints. 19Pray also for me, that whenever I open my mouth, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel, 20for which I am an ambassador in chains. Pray that I may declare it fearlessly, as I should.

Fluffy

A fool
Hey everyone,
If you see anything on the forum that breaks forum rules then please do use the report function and let us know about it. You can find the forum rules here: http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/faq.php?faq=vb_faq#faq_new_faq_item

Whatever you do, please don't respond to an attack in kind. At best, your post will simply be deleted for responding to a post that violated rules. At worst, you will receive an infraction for violating rules yourself (depending on how you choose to respond).

Heneni

Miss Independent
The most dangerous enemy is the ones within our own ranks.

Those that will report us, and drag us infront of councils and courts when they dont get what they want, while they think they do god a favour.

I am convinced that it will become increasingly important to be able to identify who you are talking to. Some atheists are just mucking about...they would like to believe they dont believe , but they do. Some atheist are not mucking about. They hate god. Some atheists are atheist because they dont know any better. Some christians pretend to be noble. Some are. Some satanists are testing the waters, but they are only trying to be diffferent. Some fence sitters will fall over soon. But moral power is all that matters in the end, since gods power is demonstrated through moral power. If you want to remain standing till the end, you need the armour of god, (Thanks hunting for the truth!)and no regard for public opinion, and forget about a reputation, you will be hated for his name sake.

Heneni