• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Feels like life has just passed me by

ronki23

I graduated with my Bachelor's Degree in 2012 and did my Master's Degree in 2013 at a different University. I hardly used Facebook during my Masters to keep in touch with Bachelor's friends and then in the final month of University my so-called friends from Masters cut me out and stopped communicating with me (we hadn't had classes for over a month but we had a deadline one month after that). If it makes any difference they were mainly Chinese students so I communicated with them by WeChat.

People are too busy with their jobs and families now.

Haven't had a Facebook since 2018 and haven't had a LinkedIn since 2019.

My father died in 2017 after being diagnosed with gallbladder cancer only 2 months earlier.

Nationwide lockdown didn't help.

F1fan

Veteran Member
I'm a competitive cyclist and most of my friends are cyclists. The pandemic meant most races were cancelled, but we did group rides all the way through and maintained a sense of normalcy. Sports/athletes offer a good way for community that is quite robust.

Online is fun but lacks a real connectivity.

Jeremiah Ames

I graduated with my Bachelor's Degree in 2012 and did my Master's Degree in 2013 at a different University. I hardly used Facebook during my Masters to keep in touch with Bachelor's friends and then in the final month of University my so-called friends from Masters cut me out and stopped communicating with me (we hadn't had classes for over a month but we had a deadline one month after that). If it makes any difference they were mainly Chinese students so I communicated with them by WeChat.

My father died in 2017 after being diagnosed with gallbladder cancer only 2 months earlier.

Nationwide lockdown didn't help.[/QUOTE

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
I tried Twitter in 2019/2020 for 8 months and it is a toxic cesspool

I would stay away from Twitter too.

My FB friends list has dropped significantly (about 60 people, most family). Those that matter to me, I communicate with here, and through actual phone conversations, minus one or two small exceptions where I use FB messenger.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member

What are your degrees in? If you don't mind me asking.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady

It takes a lot of work to maintain friendships nowadays. It's worth it. Find your tribe, love them hard.

ronki23

I'm a competitive cyclist and most of my friends are cyclists. The pandemic meant most races were cancelled, but we did group rides all the way through and maintained a sense of normalcy. Sports/athletes offer a good way for community that is quite robust.

I did martial arts for quite a while and at 9 clubs but I stopped when Dad went to hospital. I didn't restart because the people I wanted to fight came to my club(s) even though they already had their own club.

It's the same problem keeping in contact with people I DO get along with: people over rely on Facebook (which I don't have anymore)

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I did martial arts for quite a while and at 9 clubs but I stopped when Dad went to hospital. I didn't restart because the people I wanted to fight came to my club(s) even though they already had their own club.

It's the same problem keeping in contact with people I DO get along with: people over rely on Facebook (which I don't have anymore)

I don't get the antipathy with fb and twitter. There's a toxic cesspool outside one's front door but we stay away from it. Online, one controls things such as using the ignore button on forums. I see nothing toxic, or at least avoid, on either fb or twitter. My interests are what I post about and read about; no cesspool involved. :shrug:

ronki23

I don't get the antipathy with fb and twitter. There's a toxic cesspool outside one's front door but we stay away from it. Online, one controls things such as using the ignore button on forums. I see nothing toxic, or at least avoid, on either fb or twitter. My interests are what I post about and read about; no cesspool involved. :shrug:

Only one person followed me back on Twitter so that's another reason I quit it

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Only one person followed me back on Twitter so that's another reason I quit it
Fair enough. One of my interests is cats. Post a picture of a cat on twitter and the world is your friend. :cat::cat::cat::cat::cat: And my political inclination meant being a part of a very large automatically follow back thing.

ronki23

Fair enough. One of my interests is cats. Post a picture of a cat on twitter and the world is your friend. :cat::cat::cat::cat::cat: And my political inclination meant being a part of a very large automatically follow back thing.

I would stay away from Twitter too.

My FB friends list has dropped significantly (about 60 people, most family). Those that matter to me, I communicate with here, and through actual phone conversations, minus one or two small exceptions where I use FB messenger.

It takes a lot of work to maintain friendships nowadays. It's worth it. Find your tribe, love them hard.

I'm late in replying but I finished Undergraduate in 2012 and I didn't use Facebook for months on end during Postgraduate because I thought staying off it would retain my friends. Then my Chinese friends (we communicated by WeChat) 'dumped' me with no explanation in the last month of Postgraduate in 2013.

Ever since then I was scared to go on Facebook because I didn't know who unfriended me. I didn't look at my friends count.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Ever since then I was scared to go on Facebook because I didn't know who unfriended me. I didn't look at my friends count.
In my experience "friends" on fb needn't mean much. An actual real world friend of mine has hundreds of fb friends. I don't know why she has them but happily admits most are not actual friends. I don't use fb for "friends" - I have a whole two on there and I reject other requests.

ronki23

In my experience "friends" on fb needn't mean much. An actual real world friend of mine has hundreds of fb friends. I don't know why she has them but happily admits most are not actual friends. I don't use fb for "friends" - I have a whole two on there and I reject other requests.

If you only have 2 on there then why bother with it ? Is it because those 2 don't check their emails ?

That's what happened with me before quitting Facebook- people don't check their email

But you have Twitter

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
If you only have 2 on there then why bother with it ? Is it because those 2 don't check their emails ?

I'm not on fb to get "friends." That option is entirely irrelevant to what I use fb for. I have a particular topic of interest and I joined fb solely to join some groups concerned with that interest. I interact with others in those groups about that subject and nothing else. I don't know the other group members, I'll never meet them...they are not friends.

But you have Twitter

I do. I joined that for the same reason as fb - my topic of interest.

People join RF, engage, declare it to be .... less than marvellous...and then "leave" ( @infrabenji being a recent example I happened to notice) That does not mean that one cannot stay on RF and like it / find it enjoyable in some way. Following/having followers here has no bearing on whether or not a person bothers to remain active on RF.

Last edited:

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
I'm late in replying but I finished Undergraduate in 2012 and I didn't use Facebook for months on end during Postgraduate because I thought staying off it would retain my friends. Then my Chinese friends (we communicated by WeChat) 'dumped' me with no explanation in the last month of Postgraduate in 2013.

Sometimes I unfriend people when I see that they aren't active on FB, or those that don't responded to posts, etc. I'll friend you. :)