• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Feeling a pull towards Reform... Can I convert, and how do I know I should, and what should I know?

Chickie17

I was raised in a family without a belief in God but that respected those who believed in God. I went to a UU church where we learned about religion.

One year, we visited various religious institutions and I sat in on a Reform Jewish service... I can't explain exactly what I felt, it was about six years ago, but I was swept away by it. For days, even weeks, I talked about how beautiful it was, how different I felt... But I was afraid of believing in God, because the theists I'd met were of the incessant, "You're going to Hell" type and I'd gotten defensive.

Now I am looking for a faith. I want to feel, know that I am more than just matter. I want to believe in God, and I heard that Reform Judaism is theistic but can be freethinking to an extent, and in addition, I feel a pull to it.

I can believe in God, I think, but I don't know exactly what I believe. What does a Reform Jew have to believe? Can I try practicing some ritual or prayer first, or is that bad? How do I know if I want to convert? What should I expect? Thank you.

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה
I was raised in a family without a belief in God but that respected those who believed in God. I went to a UU church where we learned about religion.

One year, we visited various religious institutions and I sat in on a Reform Jewish service... I can't explain exactly what I felt, it was about six years ago, but I was swept away by it. For days, even weeks, I talked about how beautiful it was, how different I felt... But I was afraid of believing in God, because the theists I'd met were of the incessant, "You're going to Hell" type and I'd gotten defensive.

Now I am looking for a faith. I want to feel, know that I am more than just matter. I want to believe in God, and I heard that Reform Judaism is theistic but can be freethinking to an extent, and in addition, I feel a pull to it.

I can believe in God, I think, but I don't know exactly what I believe. What does a Reform Jew have to believe? Can I try practicing some ritual or prayer first, or is that bad? How do I know if I want to convert? What should I expect? Thank you.

Right now I am preparing for Shabbat, the Sabbath. I do not post on Shabbat, and it being summer havdalah is rather late so I will not be back on the forum until Sunday.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member

Try here and here - particularly the latter.