• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Feedback and critique wanted - Christianity & Dhamma

bodymindfeelthink

How do Christianity and Buddha Dhamma emerge out of truth in two different ways per the contexts in which they historically spread? I've attached a chart of comparative ideas, I would be interested in disagreement, comments, and any agreement. Thank you.

Attachments

• 2-Paths_Arising_in_the_Mind.jpg
    2-Paths_Arising_in_the_Mind.jpg
    297 KB · Views: 113

arthra

Baha'i
I'm not sure where you're heading on this but my general reaction is that there are some interesting parallels between Christianity and Buddhism considering their context in varying cultures, etc.

See if you agree...

There are some close parallels between Buddhism and Christianity and they've been around a very long time!

Consider the legend of Barlaam and Josaphat:

The story of the two Indian saints was ultimately derived, through a variety of intermediate versions (Arabic and Georgian), from the life story of the Buddha.[4][5]

Wilfred Cantwell Smith (1981) traced the story from a 2nd to 4th century Sanskrit Mahayana Buddhist text, to a Manichaean version, which then found its way into Muslim culture as the Arabic Kitab Bilawhar wa-Yudasaf (Book of Bilawhar and Yudasaf), which was current in Baghdad in the 8th century.[6]

Also the following:

Buddha-Christ.info: Jesus and Buddha: Numerous Similarities

Now consider the following... The Buddha's mission began in India where there were already numerous Hindu sects with varying concepts of God and gods. What was the reaction of Buddha to all of the theophanies of His time? His approach has been identified as "negative theology".. An approach based largely on the Upanishadic "Not this... not this" and is summarized nicely at

Apophatic theology - Wikipedia

The Buddha also you may recall opposed sacrifice of animals in Vedic rites to perpetuate the Atman.. The Brahmin priests had a monopoly on that rite.

Jesus drove the money changers and the dove sellers out of the Temple precincts I believe for a similar reason...Read John 2:15

"So he made a whip out of cords, and drove all from the temple courts, both sheep and cattle; he scattered the coins of the money changers and overturned their tables."

“Get these out of here! How dare you turn My Father’s house into a marketplace!”

idav

Being
Premium Member
The human need and spiritual progression went beyond the cultural dependencies. The Buddha was in a culture more suited to accept his teachings whereas Jesus was in a culture where majority rejected the kind of compassion and acceptance he showed. Thus the reason Jesus was not allowed to die of old age.