• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Feds leaving Portland

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
That would be true if I ignored the fires, the destruction of property, the throwing of ice bottles, bricks, burning of cars, et al...

Yes... the riots are so peaceful, loving and such a great example of how to implement Martin Luther King Jr peaceful protest that really brought great change.
Just a reminder that I actually live there. I walked in downtown Portland during the height of the 'riots.' The 'fires' (there were two, one likely started by Boogalo provocateurs) and 'destruction of property' (there isn't any. Literally all federal citations were for graffiti. And if you think graffiti alone is something worth federal response then you've already got an axe to grind) is confined to three square blocks surrounding the federal courthouse where the protests take place. Conservative media is blowing what's happening in Portland so far out of the water it makes me long for the days of the fairness doctrine enforcement.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
That would be true if I ignored the fires, the destruction of property, the throwing of ice bottles, bricks, burning of cars, et al...

Yes... the riots are so peaceful, loving and such a great example of how to implement Martin Luther King Jr peaceful protest that really brought great change.
Here is the size of the Portland protests. The three square blocks, the downtown area, and the greater Portland metro.
Thousands, literally, of people within a small space for weeks, and all they got is graffiti and a couple thrown plastic bottles.
And one time when police started pepper spraying and gassing because people were throwing paper airplanes made of resignation letters.

Attachments

• EdtAafOUMA0KLXl.jpeg.jpg
    EdtAafOUMA0KLXl.jpeg.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 0
  • EdtAatSU4AAUcBb.jpeg.jpg
    EdtAatSU4AAUcBb.jpeg.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 0
  • EdtAa7jU8AEbvJd.jpeg.jpg
    EdtAa7jU8AEbvJd.jpeg.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 0

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Idealists and advocates for change threatening the status quo are always vilified as dangerous, destructive or evil. This goes for King's civil rights protestors, as well -- remember the FBI called him "the most dangerous man in America," and painted him as colluding with the Russkies.

I suspect the actual demonstrators, who are sincerely concerned about systemic racism and police brutality, are unarmed, peaceful and as disturbed as you are about any violence or destruction.
It's likely hooligans and right-wing troublemakers responsible for most of the violence.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Idealists and advocates for change threatening the status quo are always vilified as dangerous, destructive or evil. This goes for King's civil rights protestors, as well -- remember the FBI called him "the most dangerous man in America," and painted him as colluding with the Russkies.

I suspect the actual demonstrators, who are sincerely concerned about systemic racism and police brutality, are unarmed, peaceful and as disturbed as you are about any violence or destruction.
It's likely hooligans and right-wing troublemakers responsible for most of the violence.
Today the police department made a 'dire' post about sledgehammers 'improvised weapons' leaf blowers and body armor they found... Near where they've been directing the homeless to camp. The pictures were of tent stakes, stake hammers, leaf blowers have been used to push gas away, and body armor because of pepper rounds and 'nonlethal' ordinance.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes... Portland is such a peaceful protest... IF you believe like they believe

Man knifed in back at Portland protest: ‘I was stabbed for being a conservative journalist’

Black lives SHOULD matter.
I looked into this. The guy got stabbed after coming up behind a protestor and wrapping his arm around him and grabbing the back of his helmet. I see little evidence the protestor had any idea who the guy was, was just responding to being grabbed. Sounds like the guy (a provocateur from Oklahoma who came to Portland daring BLM to attack him) was just looking for ammunition for a victim card.

Kenny

Premium Member
Just a reminder that I actually live there. I walked in downtown Portland during the height of the 'riots.' The 'fires' (there were two, one likely started by Boogalo provocateurs) and 'destruction of property' (there isn't any. Literally all federal citations were for graffiti. And if you think graffiti alone is something worth federal response then you've already got an axe to grind) is confined to three square blocks surrounding the federal courthouse where the protests take place. Conservative media is blowing what's happening in Portland so far out of the water it makes me long for the days of the fairness doctrine enforcement.
You spent all night looking at everything?

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
You spent all night looking at everything?
I've been there multiple nights, everywhere from the Salmon fountain to the Pearl district. I just had dinner outside at Swagat the other day, then met up with a friend at Pioneer Square. No graffiti or destruction or signs of anything from here to there.

And none of which you have context for but you are sure you know something there I don't?

Kenny

Premium Member
Here is the size of the Portland protests. The three square blocks, the downtown area, and the greater Portland metro.
Thousands, literally, of people within a small space for weeks, and all they got is graffiti and a couple thrown plastic bottles.
And one time when police started pepper spraying and gassing because people were throwing paper airplanes made of resignation letters.

PORTLAND, Ore. — Downtown businesses in Portland, Oregon, have sustained about $23 million in damages and lost customers because of violent nightly protests that have brought the city to its knees, authorities said Wednesday.
Portland protests have cost local businesses $23M so far

Screen Shot 2020-07-30 at 2.41.16 PM.png

¥ou are right.. I see the graffiti below the windows... It's just graffiti.... up to the 3ft mark.

Kenny

Premium Member
I looked into this. The guy got stabbed after coming up behind a protestor and wrapping his arm around him and grabbing the back of his helmet. I see little evidence the protestor had any idea who the guy was, was just responding to being grabbed. Sounds like the guy (a provocateur from Oklahoma who came to Portland daring BLM to attack him) was just looking for ammunition for a victim card.
need more than just your say so

Kenny

Premium Member

We aren't talking about the peaceful demonstrators... we are talking about the people who have other motives and are hijacking the real issues for their own purposes.

King DIDN'T promote violence so your statement is not applicable.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
PORTLAND, Ore. — Downtown businesses in Portland, Oregon, have sustained about $23 million in damages and lost customers because of violent nightly protests that have brought the city to its knees, authorities said Wednesday.
Portland protests have cost local businesses $23M so far

View attachment 41689

¥ou are right.. I see the graffiti below the windows... It's just graffiti.... up to the 3ft mark.
Show me where arrests have been made for property destruction by protesters? Bear in mind, police have been firing so-called 'non lethal' rounds which have also punched through windows, gas canisters too, as well as, again, the numerous demonstrated provocateur far right groups like Boogalo boys. Fox is incredibly biased and trying, and failing, to frame this all on the protesters.
need more than just your say so
You need more than Fox's say so, too.

Kenny

Premium Member
Show me where arrests have been made for property destruction by protesters? Bear in mind, police have been firing so-called 'non lethal' rounds which have also punched through windows, gas canisters too, as well as, again, the numerous demonstrated provocateur far right groups like Boogalo boys. Fox is incredibly biased and trying, and failing, to frame this all on the protesters.

You need more than Fox's say so, too.
Fox is quoting authorities..

And are you saying that because the businesses are damaged and no arrests have been made, it never happened? And the police did the 23 million dollars in damage?

:facepalm:

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

And are you saying that because the businesses are damaged and no arrests have been made, it never happened? And the police did the 23 million dollars in damage?

:facepalm:
The same authorities, no doubt, who tried to pretend throwing paper airplanes or having leaf blowers or tent materials were using 'improvised weapons'.
Nope, never said damages didn't happen. I'm saying that Fox and conservative media are trying to set up a narrative that's not true. There's even a trending hashtag by Portland residents right now called 'PDXisnotburning' because right wing media is trying to make out the destruction to be way more than it actually is. And to frame it all on protester shoulders and continually ignore damages by police, both local and federal, and outside groups which have come here.
We aren't talking about the peaceful demonstrators... we are talking about the people who have other motives and are hijacking the real issues for their own purposes.

King didn't promote violence. (Although his protests were called violent anyway, especially by the police itching for any excuse to hose them, send attack dogs at them, etc.) Then he was assassinated, and the riots that began after his death caused way more permanent change. And the civil rights movement did not end at MLK. Take a look at Malcom X sometime.

Kenny

Premium Member
Screen Shot 2020-07-30 at 3.06.08 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-07-30 at 3.06.29 PM.png
More pictures of destruction that policemen did and far-right Boogalo boys did during the peaceful, loving, ever so kind protestors were around. DANG, I wish I knew how these policemen a Boogalo boys snookered everyone into believing that the demonstrators weren't as kind and loving as we know. And the "little" fire was just right for marshmallow toasting.

Screen Shot 2020-07-30 at 3.05.29 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-07-30 at 3.05.47 PM.png

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
We are talking about racists, right-wing agitators, Black bloc hooligans, Neo-Nazi types, right wing (police?) provocaters, &al -- a handful of destructive wolves among the sheep.

The police, federals and Republicans make their inflammatory accusations, but when they are investigated they're found to be overblown or outright wrong, but by that time the damage is done and they're working on their next round of alarmism.
My statement was an analogy. I'm not saying King was violent. I'm saying he was accused of violence, subversion, treason and all sorts of mischief -- Just like the demonstrators in Portland.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The authorities, like they have so many times before, are lying.
It happened, but much of the damage has been misattributed.

Kenny

Premium Member
King didn't promote violence. (Although his protests were called violent anyway, especially by the police itching for any excuse to hose them, send attack dogs at them, etc.) Then he was assassinated, and the riots that began after his death caused way more permanent change. And the civil rights movement did not end at MLK. Take a look at Malcom X sometime.

Malcom X???? Hardly a representative of those with more melanin.

No wonder you seem to promote the radical left-wing narrative at the expense of admitting the reality that the protestors did damage to innocent people's businesses.