• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Federal Reserve is an Independant Agency?

Just_me_Mike

From Wiki United States dollar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
New dollars are issued when the Federal Reserve elects to fund the purchase of debt, primarily U.S. Treasury Bonds, by creating new reserves rather than financing the purchase with existing reserves. When the bond issuer spends the money, new dollars enter circulation.[citation needed]
In theory, Federal Reserve Notes are like checks: liabilities drawn on the Federal Reserve Bank. The Fed offsets these liabilities by holding U.S. Treasury Bonds as assets, which are backed by the U.S. Government's ability to levy taxes and repay.[citation needed]
When compared to hard money backed by gold or silver, this debt-based approach has the advantage of making the currency elastic, giving the government a means of expanding or contracting the money supply in response to changing economic conditions. The disadvantage of this approach is inflation. The money supply must be continually expanded in order to finance interest payments on the debt by which it is issued. This devalues the currency, causing inflation

T-Dawg

Self-appointed Lunatic
Some consider the US dollar not backed by gold anymore, but by China :shrug:

Lol, the US dollar hasn't been backed by gold for ages. They say that there's enough gold in Fort Knox to back up every single dollar, but that's simply not true. They might have enough for every dollar in America, but not worldwide.
We need to bring the gold standard back!

China owns our economy. Once it outgrows us, or once something happens to it, the USD will literally become worthless almost overnight.

Aquitaine

The money supply must be continually expanded in order to finance interest payments on the debt by which it is issued. This devalues the currency, causing inflation

Wait, so..... we gotta (as in our Governments) have to buy more money to pay for the interest that is set by obtaining the money?!

If that's the case, then it is impossible for our Governments to clear the debt from the interest of buying the money: because everytime a Government buys the money (to help pay off the interest and debt) they therefore create new debt because of the new interest from the new money!?

That makes absolutely no sense what-so-ever! Have I misunderstood, or is this correct!?

blackout

Violet.
Wait, so..... we gotta (as in our Governments) have to buy more money to pay for the interest that is set by obtaining the money?!

If that's the case, then it is impossible for our Governments to clear the debt from the interest of buying the money: because everytime a Government buys the money (to help pay off the interest and debt) they therefore create new debt because of the new interest from the new money!?

That makes absolutely no sense what-so-ever! Have I misunderstood, or is this correct!?

exactly. insanity.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I carry around worthless paper in my pocket.
Do you know there are also small amounts of some sort of magnetic metal is dollar bills? If you take a powerful enough magnet, such as that from a computer hard drive, it will actually pull the bill towards it. Not a very big effect, but it is definitely noticeable.

blackout

Violet.
Do you know there are also small amounts of some sort of magnetic metal is dollar bills? If you take a powerful enough magnet, such as that from a computer hard drive, it will actually pull the bill towards it. Not a very big effect, but it is definitely noticeable.

If I could extract the magnetic metal would it be worth more than the paper?

You may be onto something here. :cover: