• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Federal Court Rules: Can't Sue Fed Cop Who Tries To Murder You

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
In the news.....
The DHS Agent Who Tried To Kill Kevin Byrd Can't Be Sued—Because He Works for the Federal Government
Excerpted (with RF censoring)....
Department of Homeland Security (DHS) agent Ray Lamb was not acting in his professional capacity when he approached Kevin Byrd in the parking lot of a Texas bar and allegedly threatened to "put a bullet through [his] ****ing skull," nor was Lamb on duty when he took his gun and attempted to smash the window of Byrd's car. He was acting as a private citizen when he made those threats, which also included pulling the trigger. Luckily for Byrd, the gun jammed.
:
On the morning of February 2, 2019, Byrd arrived at a bar in Conroe, Texas, to speak with someone on-site who could shed light on a gruesome car crash his ex-girlfriend, Darcy Wade, had been in after leaving that establishment in the hours prior. Unsure she'd survive, Byrd had just visited her in the hospital after Wade's new boyfriend—an inebriated Eric Lamb, Ray Lamb's son—drove headlong at 70 miles per hour into a Greyhound bus.

Lamb approached Byrd as he sought to leave the parking lot, furious that Byrd was collecting details on his son's drunk driving. Both men dialed 911, but it was Byrd who ended up in the back of a police car.

Back to me....
"Qualified immunity" is a license to beat & murder.
A video interview with the almost-murdered victim (saved by a
jammed gun) who was arrested when he called the cops about
the guy (later found to work for HSI) who tried to shoot him....

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It appears that Ray Lamb, the one who attempted murder
will keep his job, not be charged with any crime, & is immune
from being sued.
Such is our Homeland Security often far far more dangerous
than our supposed enemies.

Ref....
The Unsetting Case of Byrd v. Lamb — Michael Picard
Excerpted...
They took Agent Lamb into custody and charged him, but the charges were dropped about four months later because a grand jury let him go.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The idea as expressed Qualified immunity is reasonably rational but SCOTUS and others have turned into a James Bond "license to kill (maim, abuse)"
The problem with qualified immunity is that "reasonable"
has come to mean "any damn thing we want to do".

Is there any way to rein in all the crooked & incompetent
cops? It appears that they're in the majority, with "good
cops" being uncommon. Neither Pubs nor Dems seem
at all interested in addressing the problem.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
It appears that Ray Lamb, the one who attempted murder
will keep his job, not be charged with any crime, & is immune
from being sued.
Such is our Homeland Security often far far more dangerous
than our supposed enemies.

Ref....
The Unsetting Case of Byrd v. Lamb — Michael Picard
Excerpted...
They took Agent Lamb into custody and charged him, but the charges were dropped about four months later because a grand jury let him go.
Citing "Homeland Security" will do you no good. A dreadful notion, honestly, especially as codified in the Patriot Act.

Remember what Benjamin Franklin is reputed to have said: "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Ya wanna live free -- ya gotta have the courage to do it.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member

Further to my last post a moment ago, it seems clear to me that sometimes "police officers" do require a little more power than the rest of us are granted -- and mostly I can accept that. But we must never, ever forget that with greater power comes greater responsibility -- and it is the free society's obligation to hold those officers who abuse their authority accountable for it. And yes, even to exact more strident punishment.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

We saw what happened with the abominably named "defund the police" effort. We might have seen a wee bit of more progress if the slogan was less off putting and had a bit of nuance.

Maybe next time.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Citing "Homeland Security" will do you no good. A dreadful notion, honestly, especially as codified in the Patriot Act.

Remember what Benjamin Franklin is reputed to have said: "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Ya wanna live free -- ya gotta have the courage to do it.
Giving up both safety and liberty is the worst bargain.

Suave

Simulated character
In the news.....
The DHS Agent Who Tried To Kill Kevin Byrd Can't Be Sued—Because He Works for the Federal Government
Excerpted (with RF censoring)....
Department of Homeland Security (DHS) agent Ray Lamb was not acting in his professional capacity when he approached Kevin Byrd in the parking lot of a Texas bar and allegedly threatened to "put a bullet through [his] ****ing skull," nor was Lamb on duty when he took his gun and attempted to smash the window of Byrd's car. He was acting as a private citizen when he made those threats, which also included pulling the trigger. Luckily for Byrd, the gun jammed.
:
On the morning of February 2, 2019, Byrd arrived at a bar in Conroe, Texas, to speak with someone on-site who could shed light on a gruesome car crash his ex-girlfriend, Darcy Wade, had been in after leaving that establishment in the hours prior. Unsure she'd survive, Byrd had just visited her in the hospital after Wade's new boyfriend—an inebriated Eric Lamb, Ray Lamb's son—drove headlong at 70 miles per hour into a Greyhound bus.

Lamb approached Byrd as he sought to leave the parking lot, furious that Byrd was collecting details on his son's drunk driving. Both men dialed 911, but it was Byrd who ended up in the back of a police car.

Back to me....
"Qualified immunity" is a license to beat & murder.
A video interview with the almost-murdered victim (saved by a
jammed gun) who was arrested when he called the cops about
the guy (later found to work for HSI) who tried to shoot him....

Out of fear for my life, I would have run over DHS agent Ray Lamb if he were to have pointed a gun at me while I was behind the wheel of my car in motion. I'm doubtful, I could have justifiably claimed self defense for driving over a federal agent wrongfully trying to kill me. :I'd be the bad guy who'd go to jail; but I might be very well liked there by all my homies in cell block six.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Out of fear for my life, I would have run over DHS agent Ray Lamb if he were to have pointed a gun at me while I was behind the wheel of my car in motion. I'm doubtful, I could have justifiably claimed self defense for driving over a federal agent wrongfully trying to kill me. :I'd be the bad guy who'd go to jail; but I might be very well liked there by all my homies in cell block six.
As they say, tis better to be judged by twelve than carried by six.
They generally do prosecute people for self defense against
rogue cops....they're still cops, & the system cares about them.
Not you.

Suave

Simulated character

There was a recent Congressional bill HR 1280 to eliminate qualified immunity, but it was defeated by the Pubs, not by us social justice Democrats.

House Passes New Bill To Abolish Qualified Immunity For Police

H.R.1280 - 117th Congress (2021-2022): George Floyd Justice in Policing Act of 2021

We Never Know

No Slack
There was a recent Congressional bill HR 1280 to eliminate qualified immunity, but it was defeated by the Pubs, not by us social justice Democrats.

House Passes New Bill To Abolish Qualified Immunity For Police

H.R.1280 - 117th Congress (2021-2022): George Floyd Justice in Policing Act of 2021

According to this, it would have only "limited qualified immunity as a defense to liability in a private civil action against a law enforcement officer"