1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fears for Nigerian humanist held for blasphemy in sharia state

Discussion in 'Religious News' started by danieldemol, May 3, 2020.

1. danieldemol

danieldemol Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,523
    Religion:
    Baha'i inspired liberal
    ‘A prominent Nigerian humanist accused of blasphemy has been arrested and taken to the northern city of Kano, according to figures close to him.

Mubarak Bala, the president of the Humanist Association of Nigeria, was taken from his home on 28 April in neighbouring Kaduna state and taken to Kano, where a warrant for his arrest was issued, Leo Igwe, a fellow Nigerian humanist and human rights advocate, said.

“We condemn his arrest and are extremely worried because this came after several threats made by the religious community in Kano,” Igwe said. “They are likely to try him under sharia law in Kano, which could lead to capital punishment.”’...

...’Bala, the son of a widely regarded Islamic scholar, has been an outspoken religious critic in a staunchly conservative region, where open religious dissent is uncommon. After renouncing Islam in 2014, he was forcibly committed to a psychiatric facility by his family in Kano before being discharged.

After Bala posted comments critical of Islam and religion on his Facebook profile recently he had received a surge of online accusations of blasphemy and threats, Igwe said, largely from figures in Kano.’

Read more here: Fears for Nigerian humanist held for blasphemy in sharia state

• Informative Informative x 3
  2. Aupmanyav

Aupmanyav Be your own guru

Ratings:
    +9,395
    Religion:
    Atheist, Advaita (Non-duality), Orthodox Hindu
    He should have moved out of Nigeria.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Hellbound Serpiente

Ratings:
    +276
    Religion:
    None
    And sharia law should move out from the whole world, it should be abolished.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Aupmanyav

Ratings:
    +9,395
    Religion:
    I would not comment on Shariah, it is for the Muslims to follow, change or abandon that. But people have been killed in Saudi Arabia, Iran, Pakistan, Bangladesh, etc. for opposing orthodox views. People should be careful.

• Like Like x 1
  5. epronovost

epronovost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,160
    Religion:
    Atheist/non-religious
    He wanted to change and better Nigeria. Plus, it's not exactly easy or quick to leave a country. Immigrating to another country legally usually takes around 3 to 5 years and sometime a lot longer that's if you don't flee as an asylum seeker or refugee, but the western world has closed it's doors to many of those since the Syrian Civil War began.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. danieldemol

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,523
    Religion:
    Baha'i inspired liberal
    I would say aspects of it should be abolished, and aspects of it should be removed from the law of the land to personal honour codes but I think on a general level I agree with your statement.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Hellbound Serpiente

Ratings:
    +276
    Religion:
    None
    I personally think ALL the Abrahamic religions should either be reformed or be abolished. But that's just me, not sure what others think

I beg to differ. Everyone should make a logical assessment of Shariah [and Islam in general] and give their constructive feedback [comment] on it. This is how we grow and progress, through learning. The problem with Shariah is, a lot of innocent non-Muslims, homosexuals, apostates, and many others are significantly affected by it [dare I say, suffer because of it, all you have to do is study history of it]. We all will be affected by Shariah if it's established anywhere near us [or even far from us, as I personally believe injustice anywhere is injustice everywhere].

And this is coming from an ex-Muslim who has already lived his life in hell-holes you mentioned. We, as mature sensible individuals, should carefully and honestly analyze ideologies as destructive as these. It's about the truth, justice and peace everywhere. Fate of the earth is at stake here

#7 Hellbound Serpiente, May 3, 2020
    Last edited: May 3, 2020
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Aupmanyav

Ratings:
    +9,395
    Religion:
    In that case, you are not talking of Islam (the Submission). You are raising your head, which needs to be severed.

9. danieldemol

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,523
    Religion:
    Baha'i inspired liberal
    ‘Washington, DC – The U.S. Commission on International Religious Freedom (USCIRF) today expressed its deep concern regarding the recent arrest of Mubarak Bala, president of the Humanist Association of Nigeria...

...USCIRF Chair Tony Perkins stated, “USCIRF is alarmed by this arrest, which appears to be for Mubarak Bala’s peaceful exercise of his rights to both freedom of expression and freedom of belief. The fact that Kano State frequently enforces Shari’a law makes the situation particularly worrisome. Nigerian authorities must immediately clarify Mr. Bala’s situation, ensure his safety, and provide him the full protections he is guaranteed under the Nigerian Constitution and international law.”’

Read more here: USCIRF Condemns Arrest of Prominent Nigerian Atheist, Mubarak Bala