• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fearing death

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't see the point in living another life.

Is it possible that you're assuming that your experiences will be the same as your experiences in your current body, mind, and environment? Would your opinion change if the experience was entirely different? If your experiences were as someone or something else? Or as nothing at all (simply being the witness)?

JJ50

Is it possible that you're assuming that your experiences will be the same as your experiences in your current body, mind, and environment? Would your opinion change if the experience was entirely different? If your experiences were as someone or something else? Or as nothing at all (simply being the witness)?

What if the experience in an afterlife was much less pleasant than that of my present one, which is much better than that of many people?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
What if the experience in an afterlife was much less pleasant than that of my present one, which is much better than that of many people?

It's a fair question, and there are no guarantees, but to me, it's not much different than having a great day and going to bed thinking, I really don't want to wake up tomorrow, because tomorrow might suffer by comparison to today.

I wake up thinking each day that today might be the best day of my life, just as I think that if I die today, I will be purely existence-consciousness-bliss.

Scott C.

Just one guy
I find it strange that some oh so holy Christians who appear to spend their lives looking skywards and going on about how wonderful it will be to be in heaven with god, seem to do everything they can to keep alive if they are ill. Why do they fear dying if the idea of heaven is so attractive, surely they would like to get up there at the earliest opportunity? Is it possible in their heart of hearts they have doubts about their after death experience?

I can't speak for others who believe in Christ and the afterlife, but I don't fear death. I also love this life and would fight a life threatening illness with all of my might. I see no contradiction here and the OP question demonstrates a remarkable lack of understanding into how believers see this life and the next.

Last edited:
Reactions: Moz

Scott C.

Just one guy
I've always asked the same question plus as a christian why aren't funerals celebration's, the dead should be with god now.

The funerals I have attended are most definitely celebrations of the person's life, love, and legacy, coupled with joy in knowing that they are very much alive and in the presense of God and love ones. These funerals also comfort those who have lost a loved one for the rest of their lives. It's tough to lose a loved one, even when we know we will be reuninted with them again some day.

David1967

Premium Member
I find it strange that some oh so holy Christians who appear to spend their lives looking skywards and going on about how wonderful it will be to be in heaven with god, seem to do everything they can to keep alive if they are ill. Why do they fear dying if the idea of heaven is so attractive, surely they would like to get up there at the earliest opportunity? Is it possible in their heart of hearts they have doubts about their after death experience?

It's not being dead that's scary, it's the dying part.

dianaiad

It's not being dead that's scary, it's the dying part.

You got that right. Being dead isn't scary. Dying sucks.

As to the question in the OP...there is this problem with suicide. We aren't supposed to commit it. We are SUPPOSED to make the very most we can out of the life we live, and we aren't supposed to end it early. I think that part of the reason 'true believers' fight so hard when they get ill is because not doing so can be seen as willful suicide; if the cure or treatment for a disease exists, and one chooses not to take that cure or treatment, then one IS committing suicide. There comes a point where one has 'fought enough,' and can say 'hold, enough..." but before one has even TRIED, and because 'heaven is going to be so nice?" No. THAT would be, I think, suicide.

...and that's against the rules.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Nope, and you know it
you are either following your body into the ground.....
or not

if not....then religion doesn't matter

7billion+ copies pf a learning device
all destined to die

we cannot leave the body as we are breathing
(in spite of reports of a few)

what makes you think you can escape?
after YOUR last breath

eternal darkness is physically real
no form of light follows anyone into the grave

King Phenomenon

No but I think they treasure every moment that they still have left

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
I find it strange that some oh so holy Christians who appear to spend their lives looking skywards and going on about how wonderful it will be to be in heaven with god, seem to do everything they can to keep alive if they are ill.
For one, it is presumption to assume to be among the elect. The idea that being a Christian in and of itself assures salvation is not found outside of certain forms of Protestantism. Secondly, Christians are human beings too, it is natural to fear death. Thirdly, many Christians do face death with admiral courage. In our very day, Christians are being martyred in sicking numbers. The Coptic Christians beheaded by ISIS or the murder of Father Jacques Hamel are just two particularly memorable cases.

Why do they fear dying if the idea of heaven is so attractive, surely they would like to get up there at the earliest opportunity? Is it possible in their heart of hearts they have doubts about their after death experience?
You're not the only one who can play at that game.

For example, we can speculate that perhaps your venom is indicative that in your heart of hearts you fear Christians may be right about an after death judgement. So you make post such as these in order to have your unbelief validated by others.

Last edited:

JJ50

I think it reasonable to challenge those who threaten one with eternal damnation for merely being an unbeliever, especially as there is not one shred of verifiable evidence to support the belief in any god or afterlife.

When my husband and I die we have no wish to have a funeral, just to be burnt up in the crem, end of story,

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
you are either following your body into the ground.....
or not

if not....then religion doesn't matter

7billion+ copies pf a learning device
all destined to die

we cannot leave the body as we are breathing
(in spite of reports of a few)

what makes you think you can escape?
after YOUR last breath

eternal darkness is physically real
no form of light follows anyone into the grave

I dont need your religious threats, i am quite happy with scientific evidence thanks

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
stated the obvious...…

we die

we stand from the carcass
or we go to the ground

Perhaps obviously to the deliberately ignorant, but most people think

Its rather funny that you are the only one not to understand my post