• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fearing death

JJ50

I find it strange that some oh so holy Christians who appear to spend their lives looking skywards and going on about how wonderful it will be to be in heaven with god, seem to do everything they can to keep alive if they are ill. Why do they fear dying if the idea of heaven is so attractive, surely they would like to get up there at the earliest opportunity? Is it possible in their heart of hearts they have doubts about their after death experience?

danieldemol

Premium Member
I find it strange that some oh so holy Christians who appear to spend their lives looking skywards and going on about how wonderful it will be to be in heaven with god, seem to do everything they can to keep alive if they are ill. Why do they fear dying if the idea of heaven is so attractive, surely they would like to get up there at the earliest opportunity?
Survival is hardwired into the flesh. If there were no genetic impulse to survive then some people who have a hard enough life would simply stop breathing I suspect.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I find it strange that some oh so holy Christians who appear to spend their lives looking skywards and going on about how wonderful it will be to be in heaven with god, seem to do everything they can to keep alive if they are ill. Why do they fear dying if the idea of heaven is so attractive, surely they would like to get up there at the earliest opportunity? Is it possible in their heart of hearts they have doubts about their after death experience?

Well be honest, would you want to spend an eternity couped up with a load of dead religious people?

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

I've always asked the same question plus as a christian why aren't funerals celebration's, the dead should be with god now.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

In my experience, it's more about attachments. Attachments to the love of others who surround them. Attachment to fear of disappointing others who depend upon them. Attachment to missing out on some experiences.

Not all Christians who are dying have purely selfish motives.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Survival is hardwired into the flesh. If there were no genetic impulse to survive then some people who have a hard enough life would simply stop breathing I suspect.
That is true. Facing death myself, there are apprehensions that do kick in when things get serious.

Suffice to say I don't fear death, it more has to do with the unknown as to what's next and the permanency of the present form and mind for which once it goes out, that's it for this personhood. Snuffed forever.

Sometimes, I speculate when the eye's are open again , just who or what this new 'I' is going to be and just where will it occur?

But I guess it's really for that 'new' person to worry about and contend with

calm

@JJ50
Not every (true) Christian goes to heaven. There are 2 different groups that will receive eternal life, one is called "the chosen ones", these are the 144.000 Jews. The other group is called the righteous, they consist of all nations. The chosen ones will have no body, they will become spirits and will reign with God the Father eternally in heaven.
The righteous will keep their bodies and reign eternally on earth with God the Son, Jesus.

To your question.
It is not bad to try to stay alive as a Christian. Hezekiah was also sick and he wept a lot and asked God for help. And God healed him.
But there are also Christians who wanted to be dead to be with God as soon as possible. Paul once said as an example:
2 Corinthians 5:8
Yes, we are of good courage, and we would rather be away from the body and at home with the Lord.

It is only bad when Christians start to go to human physicians when they get sick and ask them for help instead of God. Because God is a jealous God, and therefore he does not like that we seek help from others.
Asa, for example, who became ill, preferred to seek help from human physicians rather than from God as consequence he died.
2 Chronicles 16:12
In the thirty-ninth year of his reign Asa was diseased in his feet, and his disease became severe. Yet even in his disease he did not seek the Lord, but sought help from physicians. And Asa slept with his fathers, dying in the forty-first year of his reign.

God wants us to ask him for everything, but every prayer is only answered if one has lived righteously. Behold Hezekiah:
2 Kings 20
1 In those days Hezekiah became sick and was at the point of death. And Isaiah the prophet the son of Amoz came to him and said to him, “Thus says the Lord, ‘Set your house in order, for you shall die; you shall not recover.’”
2 Then Hezekiah turned his face to the wall and prayed to the Lord, saying,
3 “Now, O Lord, please remember how I have walked before you in faithfulness and with a whole heart, and have done what is good in your sight.” And Hezekiah wept bitterly.
4 And before Isaiah had gone out of the middle court, the word of the Lord came to him:
5 “Turn back, and say to Hezekiah the leader of my people, Thus says the Lord, the God of David your father: I have heard your prayer; I have seen your tears. Behold, I will heal you.

Last edited:

JJ50

In my experience, it's more about attachments. Attachments to the love of others who surround them. Attachment to fear of disappointing others who depend upon them. Attachment to missing out on some experiences.

Not all Christians who are dying have purely selfish motives.

I never said they had, I said SOME Christians.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I never said they had, I said SOME Christians.

True, but you're also concluding that even their fears are a product of selfish considerations and/or doubts of their faith. What I said in my previous post might still hold true for them.

Good-Ole-Rebel

If we don't go to a doctor, or don't take our family members there, we are criticized for abusing our family and just trusting God. If we go to a doctor, we are criticized for hypocrisy in not really trusting God.

For the Christian, our being saved and going to Heaven is not the end. It is the beginning. Thus my life here and now, spent for God, has purpose for me. I now learn to walk by the Spirit, exercising my faith. God brings life experiences in my way that require that exercise of faith. My faith grows. So, the Christian is not looking for a quick ticket out of here. We are looking forward to that place all the while knowing God will take us when He is ready.

It is my opinion that even though one is a believer, a Christian, if he/she has not been walking in the Spirit, but instead is walking in the ways of the world, they will sense a greater fear of death. They have not been in fellowship with God, and do not know how to trust Him. I'm not saying they don't go to Heaven. But they will be insecure and fearful at that moment. In my opinion.

Good-Ole-Rebel

JJ50

I am not saying that people shouldn't seek medical help, that would be crazy. I am just amused that some of the people, not all by any means, who rant on about heaven being so wonderful don't seem in a hurry to get there, that is all.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I think the fear of death is a reflex
and rather difficult to set aside
even if you feel certain of your next life

kinda like breathing

try and stop
long enough to die

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Well be honest, would you want to spend an eternity couped up with a load of dead religious people?

Reminds me a joke I actually came up with during a funeral (I may have posted it before).

An elderly man had just lost his wife. At her funeral the preacher told the man not to be sad because he would be with his wife in Heaven,
"No offense, pastor, but after 71 years with the same woman I was hoping for a few more options..." said the husband. (Too soon?)

JJ50

Reminds me a joke I actually came up with during a funeral (I may have posted it before).

An elderly man had just lost his wife. At her funeral the preacher told the man not to be sad because he would be with his wife in Heaven,
"No offense, pastor, but after 71 years with the same woman I was hoping for a few more options..." said the husband. (Too soon?)

:D

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Is it possible in their heart of hearts they have doubts about their after death experience?
No, I believe in life after death but I still want to live as healthily and as long as I can. There'll be plenty of time to not be in this body!

JJ50

No, I believe in life after death but I still want to live as healthily and as long as I can. There'll be plenty of time to not be in this body!
I find it very hard to believe in something for which there is no verifiable evidence. I hope once I die I cease to be.