• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fear the Lord?

Scott1

What a horrible expression, aint it....?:eek:

I believe it means that we are to submit to the will of God... that we understand that God comes first and we must try to push aside our selfish nature.

Or it could mean that God is a big "meanie"..... hehe .... but I doubt it.;)

AdamWes

I think it means just that. Fear is one of the most powerful feelings in the human experience. It is sometimes used for control. Religion is control. Most religions operate on the idea of fear. You make a god character angry, you are punished. Religion is a creation of man; a necessary collection of stories and characters to give people some kind of reasoning for some of our unanswerable questions.
The Bible will tell you to fear the Lord, because they need you to fear his power in order for any of it to...work.

Scott1

I don't fear the Lord, Adam.... you obviously have some negative feelings about faith, but realize that your experience and opinions are not universal. Religion is not a "creation" of man, it is a description of man.... I am a religious human being.

AdamWes

Unfortunately, yes, these opinions are not universal. Neither are yours. Now saying that, I absolutely do not think I am better nor more informed than anyone else. Anyone is entitled to believe what they want personally. I was a Christian. I outgrew it. I would like to know what proof you have that religion is not a creation of man.
I believe in God. I believe God is wincing at what the idea of Him has become to most of mankind. I dont fear God, and I dont believe God would ever want any one to fear him. So why was it written?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
I agree Scott, I definitely do not 'fear G-d'; I maybe in awe of him, but to me, this is almost on a parallel with children who are told when young "Don't be naughty, or the policeman will punish you". How many times have I heard that ? To me, G-d can be likened to the policeman; he is not there essentially to punish, he is there to help us when we are lost, to comfort us when we need comfort..........

I must admit that I am not exactly sure what the Christian G-d would have said to Adolph Hitler when he knocked on those pearly gates, but I think ultimately he is kind, forgiving, and loves his Children, when they do wrong - despite the wrong....

I personally don't believe in the Christian G-d as most would (I imagine, I haven't conducted a survey asking all paritioners walking out of Churches "O.K, describe G-d to me ?");) , but I believe that to a devout Christian, G-d would be as I have described him.:)

Scott1

AdamWes said:
I would like to know what proof you have that religion is not a creation of man.
Proof? None.

What proof do you have that religion IS a creation of man?
I believe in God.
Super! Why?
I believe God is wincing at what the idea of Him has become to most of mankind.
Super! Why?
I dont fear God, and I dont believe God would ever want any one to fear him. So why was it written?
I'm glad we BOTH do not fear God.... why was it written? No clue.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
AdamWes;

Hi, I saw your post and suddenly realized that you are new to the forum.

As such I thoughtIwould take the opportunity to welcome you here, and hope you like our 'family'.

You might find this helpful: Articles for New Members ; from there, there is a link to the forum rules, which you might also like to look at.

Well, enjoy!!:)

greatcalgarian

Fear the Lord is a motto created or coined by early Priests (since Moses time?) to use that as the authority to control the general less informed and less educated mass.

It is still being used in the church today for the same purpose(sorry for the implication to church goers).

I would rather think of "Fear the Lord" means you must obey the Lord, listen to what He has said through the prophets, through the inspired writings in the bible. Most Christians would like to believe that God is omnibenevalent. If that is so, nobody should "fear" the Lord as the general accepted meaning of the word fear. I would rather Christians abandoned this word, and use "respect the Lord" (Ya right on, print a new version of bible replacing all word "fear" by the word "respect").

Just like we would not use the phrase "fear your parents", but it is very acceptable to use the phrase "respect your parents". If evangelical Christians removed all these negative implications (including emphasizing on hell), I believe there will be many more unbelievers going into the arm of Jesus.

Scott1

Great post gc.....

.... but remember that the Hebrew word for fear:
hs340.gif
hs370.gif
hs345.gif
hs356.gif
does have a translation that means reverence, not just fear/terror.... so says a few concordances that I checked.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Sunstone said:
What does the bible mean by "fearing" God?
I think this is another instance when words have changed their meaning over time. The God of the old testament was definitely seen as a Jealous God a God of vengence and a God who was involved in punishing enemies, evil and sinners.

Jesus introduced us to a god of Love, compassion and forgiveness.

Jesus was brought up a Jew but it was he who changed our perception of God, both by his actions and his teaching and ultimately his death.
His death was the ultimate act of love for us.

Back to the Beginning....
It would be easy in the O/T day to Fear God or revere him. Now with the enlightenment of Jesus To love and respect God makes more sense.

Terry

may

Sunstone said:
What does the bible mean by "fearing" God?

"If only they would develop this heart of theirs to fear me and to keep all my commandments always."—DEUTERONOMY 5:29

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the [true] God and keep his commandments. For this is the whole [obligation] of man(Ecllesiastes12;13) Serve Jehovah with fearAnd be joyful with trembling(psalm 2;11)Aperson who loves God would not want to displease him , this is a good thing not a bad thing it is a wholesome dread of displeasing him
In no way is there anyone like you, O Jehovah. You are great, and your name is great in mightiness. Who should not fear you, O King of the nations, for to you it is fitting; because among all the wise ones of the nations and among all their kingships there is in no way anyone like you (Jeremiah )( 10 ;6-7)The angel of Jehovah is camping all around those fearing him,and he rescues them(psalm 34;7)

Ronald

Yeshua was one who said fear the Lord!

Mt 10:28
"And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. But rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Pr 1:7 ¶ The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge, But fools despise wisdom and instruction.

Hey! Jesus, you shouldn't say that!!! So says those on this thread.

But he did! And I fear the Lord. Whether it is awe, respect or fear, I believe He can extinguish both body and soul, Rub you out!

Melody

SOGFPP said:
Great post gc.....

.... but remember that the Hebrew word for fear:
hs340.gif
hs370.gif
hs345.gif
hs356.gif
does have a translation that means reverence, not just fear/terror.... so says a few concordances that I checked.
Frubals. For too long, too many religions promoted the idea of God as this vengeful, spiteful being who was just looking for an excuse to squash us under His thumb.

Steve

I think many find fearing God a strange concept simply because they have made up a god to suit themselves, when they read the Bible they gloss over anything that mentions Justice, Righteousness etc..
Mankind in its present state should fear God. The bible makes it clear their will be Judgement Day,

And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment. Hebrews 9:27

yet many would rather think of God as a god who is just there to help us out if we need, the sugar daddy of the sky - as if he dosnt care about justice ect and when they die God will just welcome them into heaven. When we have an idolatrous concept of God of course we wont fear him because in our mind he is going to be happy with us.

Yet the for those who belive the bible it makes it clear in the old-testament and the new that God will punish sin, do u claim to be sinless?

You shall not misuse the name of the LORD your God, for the LORD will not hold anyone guiltless who misuses his name. Exodus 20:7

But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars-their place will be in the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death." Revelation 21:8

It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God. Hebrews 10:31

by the fear of the LORD one departs from evil Proverbs 16:6

I tell you, my friends, do not be afraid of those who kill the body and after that can do no more. But I will show you whom you should fear: Fear him who, after the killing of the body, has power to throw you into hell. Yes, I tell you, fear him. Luke 12:4-5

Befor you stand befor God make sure you know this side of the grave what he requires of you. He is a God of Love and Peace, but also A Holy Just God who therefor must punish sin. We have all broken Gods laws, Jesus paid our fine.

Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God's one and only Son. john 3:18

Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved Acts 4:12

Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. If you really knew me, you would know my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him." John 14:6-7

Melody

Steve said:
I think many find fearing God a strange concept simply because they have made up a god to suit themselves, when they read the Bible they gloss over anything that mentions Justice, Righteousness etc..
Mankind in its present state should fear God. The bible makes it clear their will be Judgement Day,
It also makes clear that God is a just and merciful God and knows we cannot achieve perfection *because* we are human. I don't fear a just and merciful God. Stand in awe of...yes. Respect and revere...yes. Fear, as in feeling terror.....no.

Scott1

Thanks Melody.... it's funny to watch the "holier than thou" crowd rush in and pat themselves on the back.... "I'm right---you're wrong--- I'm SOOO HOLY!"....

I'm glad you see God as love, not fear.... bless you.

Scott