• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fear of mortality.

turk179

I smell something....
In your all's opinion is my fear of death stronger than ever before due to my changing from a theist to a non theist or is this a typical occurrence with all people? Are there any suggestions as to how to alleviate some of this anxiety?

turk179

I smell something....
And as long as I have been here, for the life of me, I have no idea if I put this in the right place.:confused:

robtex

Veteran Member
And as long as I have been here, for the life of me, I have no idea if I put this in the right place.:confused:
Turk I can move it to general debates or to secular beliefs. Do one of those two areas sound good for you? I am walking my dogs but will be back in 30 and can move it wherever you would like me to.

turk179

I smell something....
Turk I can move it to general debates or to secular beliefs. Do one of those two areas sound good for you? I am walking my dogs but will be back in 30 and can move it wherever you would like me to.
Go ahead and throw it into general debates. Maybe this can spur some constructive debating. Feel free to place it anywhere it might be more appropriate though. I'm easy.:)

Jistyr

Inquisitive Youngin'
In your all's opinion is my fear of death stronger than ever before due to my changing from a theist to a non theist or is this a typical occurrence with all people? Are there any suggestions as to how to alleviate some of this anxiety?
No, quite the contrary.

Assuming that your change to atheism also promotes no afterlife, you have become less fearful of death because you have been able to accept it. To buy into nice sounding stories of how you live on after death in a world of pure bliss is to be completely terrified of death.

As long as you can embrace death as it truly is, then you will be able to accept it and live without fear of it.

Somkid

One thing I have found to be true is the truth set me free. As a non theist my life has great meaning (to me) and it is more precious than ever, some times the truth hurts and I don't welcome death at this moment but in the end I will be happy to know I did not waste my time, money and resources following a myth and in some small way I hope that it is possible that I dispelled the myths where I could for the betterment of humanity, future generations and the continuation of our species. Try to look at things logically that helped me a lot. Watching Star Trek (TNG) also helped me a lot to see the possible "future" understanding of life and death, I know that sounds silly but it really helped me a lot, the creator Gene Roddenberry was also a non theist, actually a strong atheist perhaps thats why religion and superstition are dismissed in his series.

robtex

Veteran Member

Turk I don't have any anxiety either. I am not sure how to explain why other than to say that I don't. When theists ask me about life after death and "don't you have a fear of dying" I tend to tell them I accept the medical and biological definitions of life and death both intellectuality and emotionally.

I have to confess that life is much more beautiful to me knowing that it is finite in existence. It's non-permanence adds to its beauty. I know that if I squander a month, year or decade of my life that it does matter because life doesn't last forever. If it did the idea of squandering time would be meaningless as there would be an endless supply of it.

Francine

Everyone and everything that is alive is afraid of death. That is built right into the cells. Animals only have to deal with it when the actual moment comes. Humans have the burden of abstract thinking, so we must deal with the thought of death throughout our term of existence, and for those who believe in annihilation there is the added problem of trying to think about a state when all thoughts cease. Young people rarely think about it, and old people have come to terms with it, either through religion or just plain cracker-barrel folksy wisdom. It is the middle years when it can be terrifying.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member

I would suggest reading J. Krishnamurti on the subject.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Everyone and everything that is alive is afraid of death. That is built right into the cells. Animals only have to deal with it when the actual moment comes. Humans have the burden of abstract thinking, so we must deal with the thought of death throughout our term of existence, and for those who believe in annihilation there is the added problem of trying to think about a state when all thoughts cease. Young people rarely think about it, and old people have come to terms with it, either through religion or just plain cracker-barrel folksy wisdom. It is the middle years when it can be terrifying.

Not everyone fears death.

turk179

I smell something....
Turk I don't have any anxiety either. I am not sure how to explain why other than to say that I don't. When theists ask me about life after death and "don't you have a fear of dying" I tend to tell them I accept the medical and biological definitions of life and death both intellectuality and emotionally.

I have to confess that life is much more beautiful to me knowing that it is finite in existence. It's non-permanence adds to its beauty. I know that if I squander a month, year or decade of my life that it does matter because life doesn't last forever. If it did the idea of squandering time would be meaningless as there would be an endless supply of it.
I agree with you in that regard. Life is to short to waste being unhappy. There is an almost urgent need to enjoy life for me now. I should say that I am not really afraid of dying in itself. I think it is a fear of losing my self awareness. Call it a selfishness if you will.
A lot of these concepts are still new to me. I think some of my problems come from trying to separate the notions that I created for myself of the existance of an afterlife and my realization that the possibility of an afterlife is rediculous.

Draka

Wonder Woman
No, quite the contrary.

Assuming that your change to atheism also promotes no afterlife, you have become less fearful of death because you have been able to accept it. To buy into nice sounding stories of how you live on after death in a world of pure bliss is to be completely terrified of death.

As long as you can embrace death as it truly is, then you will be able to accept it and live without fear of it.

I'm sorry, but I certainly could not say I am terrified of death. Just because one might believe in an afterlife or reincarnation doesn't mean that they do because they are terrified of death. The concept of death doesn't bother me one bit really. I believe I go on, and if I don't go on, then it doesn't matter now does it? I'll be dead. Death is the end result of life. It is a part of it that cannot be avoided. It is a natural part of life. I know all this, and to be honest, I would probably be more anxious about death if I did not believe in an afterlife. But , to me at least, it still would serve no purpose to live afraid of death. You wouldn't be living now would you?

Just to be clear here. I don't believe in an afterlife and reincarnation because I'm afraid of death. I believe because I know I have already lived before, many times.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Thanks. I will check it out.

My best wishes, Turk. It's been so long since I feared death that don't trust myself to offer you any useful advice. But I do recall that I found Krishnamurti very helpful in getting past that fear.

dance-above

What about Justice?

dance-above

I cant stand the thoughts of Dying, I like being alive but there are times when life becomes overbearing and I seek for Rest/peace. What about all the injustice in the world. Will there lives be for naught. Is there really only what we have now?

dance-above

If there is not God, then eat, drink and be merry, Because if there is not God then life really isnt worth living. We become nothing, worthless, all the suffering for nothing.