• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favourite parts of the Apocrypha

For those who are familiar with the Apocrypha, which parts do you have a particular fondness for?

Tobit is my personal favourite, as it reads like a pantomime and is hugely entertaining. Judith has a similar entertainment feel to it, although more adult-oriented as it comes across a little like a Carry On film.

Sirach, by contrast, just feels like a low-budget remake of Proverbs.

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
I remember enjoying the additions to the Book of Daniel.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't think there's any particular part that I really like, but I do enjoy what the Church Fathers wrote about them with regards to Jewish traditions they heard about these stories.

exchemist

Veteran Member
For those who are familiar with the Apocrypha, which parts do you have a particular fondness for?

Tobit is my personal favourite, as it reads like a pantomime and is hugely entertaining. Judith has a similar entertainment feel to it, although more adult-oriented as it comes across a little like a Carry On film.

For someone with no religion, you seem to spend a remarkable amount of time reading the bible. Why?

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
For someone with no religion, you seem to spend a remarkable amount of time reading the bible. Why?
Tbf it does make for pretty interesting reading in its own right, as well as having deeply embedded cultural relevance.

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
Some Christian apocrypha is interesting; stuff like non-canonical gospels.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady

Book of Enoch.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

I love the stories of Lilith and the childhood of Jesus. He was a regular Damian Omen 2!