• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favourite New Testament Gospel

Vouthon

Dominus Deus tuus ignis consumens est
Staff member
Premium Member
While for Christians each of the four gospel accounts are, of course, Sacred Scripture and at the very heart of our faith identity, there is no getting by the fact that we tend to feel a greater affinity for certain texts over others.

The Bible is a library, after all; a library of books spanning a range of genres, literary styles and degrees of rhetorical prowess and aesthetic merit. This is no less the case for the canonical gospels. One scholar has described the different tones of the four gospels succinctly as, "the elegant style of Luke, the elevated style of John, the forceful style of Matthew, and the plain style of Mark ." Take your pick! Which one do you connect with the most?

The synoptics share broad intertextual themes and dependence (i.e. Mark primacy, potentially a shared Q source etc.), whereas the Gospel of John is quite distinct in its more mystical, realized eschatology.

I am willing to stick my neck out and declare my preference for the Gospel of Luke, or rather Luke-Acts given that they really constitute a double-volume epic.

Already in chapter 1, near the end of Mary’s hymn of praise to God (The Magnificat), she mentions how God subverts conventional hierarchies of power and privilege (Luke 1:52-53):

He has brought down the powerful from their thrones,
and lifted up the lowly;

he has filled the hungry with good things,
and sent the rich away empt
y.

When a book begins like that, with that sort of awesomely subversive and egalitarian principle, I know - just know - its a book I'm going to like.

In the original Koine Greek, Luke is unanimously regarded by scholars as the most literary and syntactically perfect of the gospels (with poor Mark being the least grammatically correct or aesthetically pleasing), evidencing a rich vocabulary and sophisticated command of the Greek tongue, which approaches the heights of classical literature (i.e. Homer, Herodotus, Plato).

At a length of 19,482 words and with 59% of its material being wholly unique to Luke, it is by far the lengthiest gospel. Together with its second volume The Book of Acts, the combined Luke-Acts accounts for 27.5% of the New Testament, making it the largest contribution by a single sacred author.

All of these factors make Luke stand out in the midst of NT literature, and yet its distinguishing content, theology and missionary focus are even more striking, when viewed comparatively. Beyond doubt, this is the gospel 'of the margins' and of 'social justice'. For all its urbane linguistic character, Luke is the strongest advocate - with the honourable exception of the Epistle of James, a work of similarly erudite prose - for the poor, dispossessed and marginalized members of society.

When we think about Jesus, in an everyday sense, I feel that we naturally gravitate towards images of the Lukan Jesus: the Jesus of the Good Samaritan, the Prodigal Son, the preacher decrying the evil of rich oppressors and valorising the poor, the Jesus who reaches out to the outcasts and welcomes them. His gospel pays far more attention to women and feminine role models than do the other evangelists. Luke emphasizes, more than any other evangelist, the 'radical' nature of Christian discipleship.

The only rival to Luke, in this respect, is the justly celebrated Sermon on the Mount in the Gospel of Matthew (widely regarded as the greatest summation of Jesus's moral message) and the Judgement of the Nations, where the Matthean Jesus announces that we will be judged by how well we looked out for the least among all people and fulfilled the corporal works of mercy, as well as Matthew's special recognition of Jesus's outreach to prostitutes.

I love all four of the canonical gospels, albeit for different reasons. Mark, for his fast-paced, terse and emotive ride through Jesus's life and mission. Matthew for the reasons I mentioned above. John for his lofty spiritual emphases and powerful symbolic language. But Luke still resonates the most with me.

What about you?

Last edited:

Rational Agnostic

While for Christians each of the four gospel accounts are, of course, Sacred Scripture and at the very heart of our faith identity, there is no getting by the fact that we tend to feel a greater affinity for certain texts over others.

The Bible is a library, after all; a library of books spanning a range of genres, literary styles and degrees of rhetorical prowess and aesthetic merit. This is no less the case for the canonical gospels. One scholar has described the different tones of the four gospels succinctly as, "the elegant style of Luke, the elevated style of John, the forceful style of Matthew, and the plain style of Mark ." Take your pick! Which one do you connect with the most?

The synoptics share broad intertextual themes and dependence (i.e. Mark primacy, potentially a shared Q source etc.), whereas the Gospel of John is quite distinct in its more mystical, realized eschatology.

I am willing to stick my neck out and declare my preference for the Gospel of Luke, or rather Luke-Acts given that they really constitute a double-volume epic.

Already in chapter 1, near the end of Mary’s hymn of praise to God (The Magnificat), she mentions how God subverts conventional hierarchies of power and privilege (Luke 1:52-53):

He has brought down the powerful from their thrones,
and lifted up the lowly;

he has filled the hungry with good things,
and sent the rich away empt
y.

When a book begins like that, with that sort of awesomely subversive and egalitarian principle, I know - just know - its a book I'm going to like.

In the original Koine Greek, Luke is unanimously regarded by scholars as the most literary and syntactically perfect of the gospels (with poor Mark being the least grammatically correct or aesthetically pleasing), evidencing a rich vocabulary and sophisticated command of the Greek tongue, which approaches the heights of classical literature (i.e. Homer, Herodotus, Plato).

At a length of 19,482 words and with 59% of its material being wholly unique to Luke, it is by far the lengthiest gospel. Together with its second volume The Book of Acts, the combined Luke-Acts accounts for 27.5% of the New Testament, making it the largest contribution by a single sacred author.

All of these factors make Luke stand out in the midst of NT literature, and yet its distinguishing content, theology and missionary focus are even more striking, when viewed comparatively. Beyond doubt, this is the gospel 'of the margins' and of 'social justice'. For all its urbane linguistic character, Luke is the strongest advocate - with the honourable exception of the Epistle of James, a work of similarly erudite prose - for the poor, dispossessed and marginalized members of society.

When we think about Jesus, in an everyday sense, I feel that we naturally gravitate towards images of the Lukan Jesus: the Jesus of the Good Samaritan, the Prodigal Son, the preacher decrying the evil of rich oppressors and valorising the poor, the Jesus who reaches out to the outcasts and welcomes them. His gospel pays far more attention to women and feminine role models than do the other evangelists. Luke emphasizes, more than any other evangelist, the 'radical' nature of Christian discipleship.

The only rival to Luke, in this respect, is the justly celebrated Sermon on the Mount in the Gospel of Matthew (widely regarded as the greatest summation of Jesus's moral message) and the Judgement of the Nations, where the Matthean Jesus announces that we will be judged by how well we looked out for the least among all people and fulfilled the corporal works of mercy, as well as Matthew's special recognition of Jesus's outreach to prostitutes.

I love all four of the canonical gospels, albeit for different reasons. Mark, for his fast-paced, terse and emotive ride through Jesus's life and mission. Matthew for the reasons I mentioned above. John for his lofty spiritual emphases and powerful symbolic language. But Luke still resonates the most with me.

What about you?

I like the Gospel of Eve. Obviously it's not in the New Testament, and in fact, no complete copy exists today. It had too much hot sexual content in it, so the early church excluded it from the bible. :tearsofjoy:

Politesse

Amor Vincit Omnia
When I was a youth, it was Luke, and I still love many Lucan passages greatly. When I was studying Koine, I fell in love with Mark, and now rather prefer its direct, subtly poetic approach. It is, I find, best when read aloud.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Even as a kid I was always fond of hearing Luke's account. (his compassion shows through )
As a kid I thought Matthew was rather droll ( tax collector comes through )
As a kid, I thought Mark was 'snappy and peppy' ( his youth shows through )
As a Kid, I thought John (hate to admit this) but thought of John as an old wind bag ( went on and on ).
John, of course, I now realize does surpass the other three accounts ( written for ' adult ' Christians ),
but Luke still remains a favorite.

Hermit

It's been a while since I've read them in full but I'll say John. The perspective created by opening it not with his earthly birth yet instead on his primordial existence gives it such a powerful beginning. Nicodemus asking, "How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter his mother's womb a second time?" makes me smile and Jesus' response that unless a man be born of water and of the Spirit he cannot enter into the kingdom of God has such a mystical quality to it. John contains the only new commandment given by Jesus as well.

"A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another. By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another." - John 13:34-35