• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favourite legacy character?

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
So this may pertain to comics a bit more, for obvious reasons, but I’m willing to use a “very wide” definition.
Who is your favourite character, comic, super or otherwise to take up the mantle in your loved story?
It can be the kids of the original, a sidekick stepping up, a new clone or really anything you think qualifies as “taking over” in a fictional character position.
I’ll accept it from whatever medium. Books, tv, movies, radio even.

Mine is the super sons (big shock, given how much of a DC fangirl I am.)
Particularly the latest adaption, Battle of the Supersons, on direct to DVD.
Jonathan is just so adorably geeky and Damien is such a little jerk lol
But I really like this adaption. Really nicely animated too. Apparently there was still hand drawn mixed in.

I also kind of like Stevie from Family Guy (most of the time.)
Yeah, like I said, I’m willing to be broad on this. Just for fun.
I just like how contemptuous he often is. Though I kind of preferred his earlier “take over the world” kind of deal in the early seasons. Though I guess it did get old.

Robin from the Teen Titans show I didn’t mind actually. Despite usually not being a fan of the character. Usually. I don’t dislike him, to be fair he isn’t always adapted the best
Though I’m not 100% sure which iteration he’s supposed to be in the TT incarnation. Dick Grayson, right?
Actually chuck in all the Teen Titians for that matter. I’ll accept younger incarnations into my very very wide definition lol
That and the Young Justice adaptations. I like seeing these characters from a point where they have to sort of grow into their incarnation. I also kind of prefer the banter between the nerdy Clark and the emo/goth Bruce they often default to in many younger interactions lol
Just amuses my weirdo self

What about you?
Let me know so we can geek out together

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Hmmmmmm. Well there's a great children's series called the Enchanted Forest Series (first book Dealing With Dragons) where a supporting character who is a very practical, no-nonsense witch steps up to become the perspective main character in the third book.

There's Ellie in The Last of Us who (spoilers as this will inevitably come up in the TV series for those not in the know) who ends up becoming the player controlled character after Joel gets wounded. She has to hunt and care for him while he is out of commission, and really put her survival skills to the test as she quickly goes from the protected child to caregiver adult.

In comics there are a lot of different people who take up the Spiderman mantle but my favorite non-Parker Spiderman in both big screen and comics is Miles Morales, who has a very unique personality and personal growth story different than Peter Parker.

One of my favorite websites, TV Tropes, goes over in detail the Breakout Character trope, which might be related to this phenomena. Describes things like Lestat from Interview With a Vampire becoming such a popular character that he nearly takes over the whole series, supplanting Louis as the primary protagonist. Saul Goodman of Breaking Bad fame is another good example of this. Breakout Character - TV Tropes

exchemist

Veteran Member
So this may pertain to comics a bit more, for obvious reasons, but I’m willing to use a “very wide” definition.
Who is your favourite character, comic, super or otherwise to take up the mantle in your loved story?
It can be the kids of the original, a sidekick stepping up, a new clone or really anything you think qualifies as “taking over” in a fictional character position.
I’ll accept it from whatever medium. Books, tv, movies, radio even.

Mine is the super sons (big shock, given how much of a DC fangirl I am.)
Particularly the latest adaption, Battle of the Supersons, on direct to DVD.
Jonathan is just so adorably geeky and Damien is such a little jerk lol
But I really like this adaption. Really nicely animated too. Apparently there was still hand drawn mixed in.

I also kind of like Stevie from Family Guy (most of the time.)
Yeah, like I said, I’m willing to be broad on this. Just for fun.
I just like how contemptuous he often is. Though I kind of preferred his earlier “take over the world” kind of deal in the early seasons. Though I guess it did get old.

Robin from the Teen Titans show I didn’t mind actually. Despite usually not being a fan of the character. Usually. I don’t dislike him, to be fair he isn’t always adapted the best
Though I’m not 100% sure which iteration he’s supposed to be in the TT incarnation. Dick Grayson, right?
Actually chuck in all the Teen Titians for that matter. I’ll accept younger incarnations into my very very wide definition lol
That and the Young Justice adaptations. I like seeing these characters from a point where they have to sort of grow into their incarnation. I also kind of prefer the banter between the nerdy Clark and the emo/goth Bruce they often default to in many younger interactions lol
Just amuses my weirdo self

What about you?
Let me know so we can geek out together
Do you know, I have absolutely zero idea what you are talking about. :shrug: :D

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Hmmmmmm. Well there's a great children's series called the Enchanted Forest Series (first book Dealing With Dragons) where a supporting character who is a very practical, no-nonsense witch steps up to become the perspective main character in the third book.

There's Ellie in The Last of Us who (spoilers as this will inevitably come up in the TV series for those not in the know) who ends up becoming the player controlled character after Joel gets wounded. She has to hunt and care for him while he is out of commission, and really put her survival skills to the test as she quickly goes from the protected child to caregiver adult.

In comics there are a lot of different people who take up the Spiderman mantle but my favorite non-Parker Spiderman in both big screen and comics is Miles Morales, who has a very unique personality and personal growth story different than Peter Parker.

One of my favorite websites, TV Tropes, goes over in detail the Breakout Character trope, which might be related to this phenomena. Describes things like Lestat from Interview With a Vampire becoming such a popular character that he nearly takes over the whole series, supplanting Louis as the primary protagonist. Saul Goodman of Breaking Bad fame is another good example of this. Breakout Character - TV Tropes
Ellie from Last of Us and Miles Morales are awesome ones. Love them both

I haven’t heard of the Enchanted Forest series. Might check it out. Thanks

Viker

Häxan
Daryl Dixon. Now that the regular TWD series is finally over he's getting his own show, it's just going to be called Daryl Dixon. It's actually long over due. I like what they did with Negan. He's a heck of a break out character. Yeah, I hung on till the end. I don't usually like not finishing what I start.

Ellie from the Last of Us.

Alien826

No religious beliefs

I've been thinking of trying that game now it's on PC. Is it good? My problem with those post apocalyptic games and TV series is that they all tend to be the same. The zombies (or whatever) destroy civilization, and we have some good guys trying to survive. Very soon the zombies are almost forgotten and the adversaries become other humans. The Walking Dead started off brilliantly, but then it was just "Here's these people you have grown to like, lets see what new and worse horrible things we can do to them".

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I've been thinking of trying that game now it's on PC. Is it good? My problem with those post apocalyptic games and TV series is that they all tend to be the same. The zombies (or whatever) destroy civilization, and we have some good guys trying to survive. Very soon the zombies are almost forgotten and the adversaries become other humans. The Walking Dead started off brilliantly, but then it was just "Here's these people you have grown to like, lets see what new and worse horrible things we can do to them".
Not going to lie, it's a dark story. There are bad people, and human villains as well as the zombies themselves.

But ultimately it's a father daughter story, about found family and choosing connections in a torn up world. Joel is a much more paternal character than I felt other 'dads in disasters' were, and Ellie is nothing like Carl, as she's much more optimistic and allows herself to be silly.

I also think it's aesthetically different from other apocalypse stories. The main game takes place 30 years after the apocalypse and so there's a lot of beautifully rendered scenes of nature reclaiming human settlements.

So you may like it you may not. I do think it's a good story as someone who has played, watched and read a lot of zombie fiction, but your milage may vary.