• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favourite banned book?

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Books are constantly banned, restricted and even burned.
So which is your personal fave?
For me I grew up on Harry Potter (ironically I think it was promoted because my educators thought the challenges against the series were dumb.)
Lolita. I don’t know if I love or despise this book. But I can’t deny that it didn’t challenge me as a reader and drunken connoisseur of the “classics.”
To Kill a Mockingbird. A poignant piece about prejudice seen through a child’s eyes.
Fahrenheit 451 and 1984. Ironically constantly challenged or banned or restricted. Both books are absolute bangers and about the dangers of censorship and other authoritarian actions.

What are some of yours?

Viker

Häxan
The irony in Fahrenheit 451 or 1984 ever being banned. I have to say they're towards the top of my list.

Vee

Premium Member
Fahrenheit 451 and 1984. Ironically constantly challenged or banned or restricted. Both books are absolute bangers and about the dangers of censorship and other authoritarian actions.

What are some of yours?

I loved Fahrenheit 451 and 1984. They've bee banned??? Really?
Can this world get any crazier?

Vee

Premium Member
Some US Christian schools thought HP was teaching witchcraft.

I've never read HP, but shouldn't schools be worried about violent video games and online bullying? Isn't that causing a lot more trouble in schools than books?

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
I've never read HP, but shouldn't schools be worried about violent video games and online bullying? Isn't that causing a lot more trouble in schools than books?
Schools are very broken environments generally and I think the British and US education systems need a complete overhaul.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Oh god. The shtick against “violent video games.” If ever you want to elicit eyerolls from Gen Xers, millennials and zoomers, mention that you’re against violent video games lol
No doubt there’s issues of bullying and harassment there to be discussed. But games were a part of the new “culture war” garbage lol
So it was beyond dumb. Reminiscent of the McCarthy era, some would say

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I've read a bunch of banned book. One I like that isn't often mentioned is Barbara Ehrenreich's Nickle & Dimed: On (Not) Getting by in America.

Ella S.

*temp banned*
"The Rights of Man" by Thomas Paine. I feel like a lot of banned books are banned due to local politics or obscenity, but this one in particular has humanitarian and deep, philosophical importance.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Bridge to Terabithia ... I taught it several times to Grade 6s. Also, any other Newberry award winner that has been banned.