• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite Tools

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
A few years ago, I found a simple serrated edge knife in a box of kitchen ware that was dropped off here. It looked nothing remarkable, but soon became a favorite based on its ease of cutting with, and convenient size.

I seemed to develop an odd attachment to it, hunting it out for kitchen duties, and using it for different activities(stirring pots, cutting boxes, arts and crafts). And then one day I took a closer look at realized why I was abnormally fond of a kitchen utensil:

"George's TV and Radio, Clarksville, Iowa"

The damned thing has my name on it.

Have you any favorite tools that you use throughout the day? How did they come to get their status?

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
I have a favorite screw driver called "sparky". It got its name from when I was working at my first IT job as a hardware technician. I was given the task of swapping out a controller board on an uniterruptable power supply, IOW a battery backup.

I had never worked on a UPS before, so I asked my boss what to do. He said, there's nothing to it, but it will spark at you because the capacitors will still be energized. So, I started dissassembling the device. and yes it started sparking at me while I was trying to remove the old controller board. It sparked so intensely that I went and asked my Boss, "Are you sure it's supposed to spark?" He said yes, don't worry about it.

I went back to work, trying to ignore the loud snaps and sparks of light coming from my screw driver. Then there was a very loud pop. The device started smoking from the batteries, and it looked like was about to melt down. My boss ran over, grabbed the UPS and ran it outside into the parking lot. After it stopped smoking, we inspected the UPS. The problem was, I never turned the device off, the big batteries were still supplying electricity to the device. Yes, it was a stupid mistake. One that I've never made again. But none told me to turn it off first. And my screw driver, "sparky" has a large shiny spot where it kept making contact with the powered-on circuit board.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
My camping spork. Its a can opener/bottle opener/spoon/fork/box cutter/mini pry bar and also makes it harder for me to lose my keys:

Its a daily user tool for sure.
IMG_20220929_110700.jpg

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
My camping spork. Its a can opener/bottle opener/spoon/fork/box cutter/mini pry bar and also makes it harder for me to lose my keys:

Its a daily user tool for sure.
View attachment 67062

That's a nice spork!

In high school, I had a long, thin chain with sporks attached. I had a habit of wearing any piece of jewelry anyone gave me, indefinitely, until it fell off. Someone gave me a spork one day, so I went home, put a small hole in it, and attached it to the chain. A few more people gave me sporks... I ended up with 13(each one having its own name).

Gargovic Malkav

A few years ago, I found a simple serrated edge knife in a box of kitchen ware that was dropped off here. It looked nothing remarkable, but soon became a favorite based on its ease of cutting with, and convenient size.

I seemed to develop an odd attachment to it, hunting it out for kitchen duties, and using it for different activities(stirring pots, cutting boxes, arts and crafts). And then one day I took a closer look at realized why I was abnormally fond of a kitchen utensil:

Have you any favorite tools that you use throughout the day? How did they come to get their status?

I have a mug with my name on it, which is quite special because my name is pretty rare, especially because of the way it is spelled.
My parents found it in the store just like that and bought it for me as a gift.

One day I was washing the dishes and it slipped out my hands.
It lost an ear because of that but I'm glad I can still use it.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
This is such a huge topic!

One is my triple stage 5000# Cat (with sideshift).
Mr Forklift has 10k+ hours on him, but he's still
going strong. (Engine smokes a little though.)
CAT-GP25N-SERIAL-ET17DL54043-3011-WhatsApp-Image-2020-09-10-at-8.31.32-AM-1.jpeg

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
I have a mug with my name on it, which is quite special because my name is pretty rare, especially because of the way it is spelled.
My parents found it in the store just like that and bought it for me as a gift.

One day I was washing the dishes and it slipped out my hands.
It lost an ear because of that but I'm glad I can still use it.

That's an awesome gift, especially when you have a unique name.

I've never been able to find my kids' name on anything. My legal name was never on anything, but its much easier to find 'George'. Problem solved.

This is such a huge topic!

One is my triple stage 5000# Cat (with sideshift).
Mr Forklift has 10k+ hours on him, but he's still
going strong. (Engine smokes a little though.)
CAT-GP25N-SERIAL-ET17DL54043-3011-WhatsApp-Image-2020-09-10-at-8.31.32-AM-1.jpeg

I was just about to ask for a name, but I see you've added 'Mr. Forklift' to your post.

Nice to meet you, Mr. Forklift.

My son would appreciate one of those for assisting with cat box maintenance...

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

I generally use each tool only once, and then misplace it, never to find it again.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
That's an awesome gift, especially when you have a unique name.

I've never been able to find my kids' name on anything. My legal name was never on anything, but its much easier to find 'George'. Problem solved.

I was just about to ask for a name, but I see you've added 'Mr. Forklift' to your post.

Nice to meet you, Mr. Forklift.

My son would appreciate one of those for assisting with cat box maintenance...
Of course you know that "Cat" is short for "Caterpillar".
They make good machines for moving machinery.
Finer control than some out there.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Over half a century ago, I had to remove the cylinder
from my Triumph 500. The only wrenches i could find
for a proper fit were Snap-On midget offset box end
wrenches. I knew a dealer, & got 25% off these very
spendy little guys. They're British Standard, of course.

Now I use their midget offset box end wrenches for
SAE & metric too. They're light in weight, strong like
bull, thin walled to fit anywhere, & short enuf to use
in cramped areas. Simply the best for little bolts
(up to 13/16").
s-l300.png

Edit...
I checked ebay.
A used set is $130+shipping.
A new set is $310.
For Snap-On, I stopped buying them new very long ago.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
My favorite hand pruners are Okatsune.
Even though they're bypass pruners, they cut
thru even thick dead wood like anvil pruners.
I attribute this to properly heat treated, well
sharpened, high carbon plain steel.
Ya can buy cheaper...but ya canna buy better.
ok101.jpg