• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite one liner verse I never noticed before.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
Romans 16:20 "The God of peace will soon crush Satan under your feet."

Wow.
This is kinda buried in the greetings at the end of the book, but that's a powerful message to sign off with!

And what a contrast.
"The God of peace."
Ok, so he's all Sweetness and light, right?
"Will soon crush Satan."

What? That doesn't sound too peaceful, in fact it sounds like a declaration of war.

I think we should all pray this every morning.
"Dear God, please crush Satan under my feet today! I want to hear that devil's bones snapping under my size 12 heel."

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I don't think being violent is the way of peace. I take this as simply an expression, a metaphor for easily subduing the adversary of peace, through the power of nonviolent Grace. It's kind of hard to have both peace and violence at the same time. It's like trying to be both happy and angry at the same time.

I think of it more like this expression, "All the darkness in the world cannot extinguish the light of a single candle.” ~ St. Francis Of Assisi. Or put another way, the light of a single candle instantly dispels the darkness. It's a metaphor for saying how easily Light can dispense with darkness of the room. That is the nature of Grace. Very simple. Nonviolent in nature. It just eliminates darkness by its very being as Light itself.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
My favorite "one liner" verse is Philippians 1:6:

[6] Being confident of this very thing, that he, who hath begun a good work in you, will perfect it unto the day of Christ Jesus.

I love this verse because it tells me that God is going to keep working on me and that I am not yet perfect and won't be till the day of Christ Jesus, and even then, it's the good work in me and not me myself. I believe this.

OK true story time: I lost my darling husband unexpectedly in 2020. I hate to say this but honestly, I am pretty much over the shock now, and the grief, though it changed me permanently. Anyway, a few weeks ago, I was sound asleep and suddenly my husband came to me in a dream but the dream wasn't about him - in fact, I never even saw his face. I only knew it was him because of his voice and his chest and hands, which is all I could see and hear of him in the dream. And all he was saying was "Philippians 1:6, Philippians 1:6" over and over again in an sort of urgent voice. Believe me, as soon as I woke up I looked up that verse - because of course I didn't have it memorized. Anyway, it was this verse. Very comforting to me. And very pertinent as well.