• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite instrument sound...

Kapalika

Premium Member
If I was at home right now I'd record me playing my Bass Station II :p

Though actually my favorite sound is probably more of the likes of the Roland TB-303 or the SH-101 but I don't own either but got some good emulations of them... (Rebirth RB-338 and TAL-Bassline).

i do got this though... I got those two emulations and my Bass Station II in it although my bass Station II doesn't do the tone I normally try to get out of it.

https://soundcloud.com/https%3A%2F%2Fsoundcloud.com%2Fkatelyn-rajas%2Fmeditation
Also Bass Station II maybe too loud compared to the rest in some later parts dunno.

I also got a tar and tablas in that (Indian instruments)! The tar really carries the melody in a lot of it.

I really love the tabla sound and put it in almost all of my drums. I like the Tar too but it's really hard to put into my songs but I mostly managed with this.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Ooh! How hard is it to play the didgeridoo? And any advice if I want to learn?
Sure. Have you tried one yet? There are a few basic things to it:

1. The drone
2. Circular breathing
3. Vocalizations

The drone is easy if you've ever played any instrument like a trombone or a tuba. I was a trombone player is band growing up, so it was instantaneous for me to make the drone sound. It's the exact same embouchure used for trombone. The vocalizations are also not that hard as you simply make various sounds with the vocal chords while making the drone sound. The texture of the bore, termite hollow unevenness, creates an otherworldly synthesized sound as they bounce around inside the didge while droning. There a lots of cool and different things to explore with that. Be creative.

The challenging part is circular breathing. That took me a couple of weeks to figure out how to do. The after that it's a natural as walking. But not so at first! :) Try following Sanshi's lessons here where he explains in 3 videos the basic techniques. You have to pay on their site for lessons 4 and 5 (and it is a good site, BTW), but I could just tell you the rest if you can get the first part's down when you are able to take short, quick breaths in while you are using your cheeks to blow out of the mouth without engaging the lungs. When you get to that point I can explain the rest. It's easier to have him showing you with his cheeks, than me trying to type it all out and expect you to get it.

Circular Breathing

Part 1:
Part 2:
Part 3:

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Ooooh...by far its the Jaws Harp...

Have you ever listened to original instruments of these and the cultures it's from? The Khomus is one common name for them, as is Morchang. I have three professional ones like that are made in the Altai republic. They are quite remarkable and trance inducing. You can see that in the examples here:

Last edited:

Palehorse

Have you ever listened to original instruments of these and the cultures it's from? The Khomus is one common name for them, as is Morchang. I have three professional ones like that are made in the Altai republic. They are quite remarkable and trance inducing. You can see that in the examples here:

My friend had one long time ago. Very unusual instrument. What would you say actually controls the octives?

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
My friend had one long time ago. Very unusual instrument. What would you say actually controls the octives?
It's the overtones of the throat and mouth cavity. It's like overtone singing, where you have the drone and the intervals above it at the same time. You just change the shape of your mouth and/or your throat as you're playing it so you have layers of sounds. It's polyphonic in that way.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I misread that as Jews Harp.
It has been called that as well. It's not a slur, BTW. There's interesting speculation on where it got the name, like a Jewish trader or something like that who brought them to an area. That sort of thing. I don't think anyone really knows, actually.

Shaul

Premium Member
The banjo.

or the original version,

Of course, bagpipes are nice too.

But the best instrument sound will be when the shofar heralds the arrival of the moshiach. :-D

Palehorse

It has been called that as well. It's not a slur, BTW. There's interesting speculation on where it got the name, like a Jewish trader or something like that who brought them to an area. That sort of thing. I don't think anyone really knows, actually.

Yeah, theres always a middle man when it comes to trading. I like these instruments too...

th
th

I like to carve wood. And am thinking about combinding the two.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Yeah, theres always a middle man when it comes to trading. I like these instruments too...

th
th

I like to carve wood. And am thinking about combinding the two.
I'm not so sure you'd see me on stage playing a dog whistle. :) The Native American flute however is something I am interested in getting. Just not one with a wolf's head on it. Not exactly my style. As far as combining them, I can't see how that would be possible. For one thing, it wouldn't be possible to put your fingers covering the holes while both holding and operate the slide at the same time. Also I doubt it would be able to make any sound with the slide because there wouldn't be sufficient back-pressure in the tube once you introduced holes from outside into the tube it slides in.

Shimi

Lupus Ovis Pelle Indutus
Sure. Have you tried one yet? There are a few basic things to it:

1. The drone
2. Circular breathing
3. Vocalizations

The drone is easy if you've ever played any instrument like a trombone or a tuba. I was a trombone player is band growing up, so it was instantaneous for me to make the drone sound. It's the exact same embouchure used for trombone. The vocalizations are also not that hard as you simply make various sounds with the vocal chords while making the drone sound. The texture of the bore, termite hollow unevenness, creates an otherworldly synthesized sound as they bounce around inside the didge while droning. There a lots of cool and different things to explore with that. Be creative.

The challenging part is circular breathing. That took me a couple of weeks to figure out how to do. The after that it's a natural as walking. But not so at first! :) Try following Sanshi's lessons here where he explains in 3 videos the basic techniques. You have to pay on their site for lessons 4 and 5 (and it is a good site, BTW), but I could just tell you the rest if you can get the first part's down when you are able to take short, quick breaths in while you are using your cheeks to blow out of the mouth without engaging the lungs. When you get to that point I can explain the rest. It's easier to have him showing you with his cheeks, than me trying to type it all out and expect you to get it.

Circular Breathing

Part 1:
Part 2:
Part 3:

Thank you so much for taking the time to post all this!! Very appreciated! I sadly do not even have a didgeridoo, I am just very interested in learning how to play one.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Thank you so much for taking the time to post all this!! Very appreciated! I sadly do not even have a didgeridoo, I am just very interested in learning how to play one.
Actually, you can do all it on a vacuum cleaner hose. :)

Sundance

Premium Member
My two favourite instruments are the swarmandal and the harmonium. Below are two awesome examples of each:

Listen @ 1:23, 2:06, and 3:18-3:30

Listen to the entire song