• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite comedians

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Get a sense of humor. You have to laugh in order to get through this ****ty thing we call "life". It would be better if we didn't take most things as seriously and just laughed at the ridiculousness of it all - and it is ridiculous.

I have a sense of humor. I enjoy the occasional joke, as long as it's clean, straightforward, uncontroversial, and, in no way, offends no one. I believe a laugh or two a day isn't going to cause irreversible harm, and, in fact, a good, healthy chuckle over a nice, clean joke can even do a person good, every now and then. However, anything that can be conceived as negative, pessimistic, or offensive to even a single person, should be discouraged, and possibly banned. Peoples' feelings are no laughing matter, and we should try to ensure that no one's feelings ever get hurt, especially due to something as frivolous as humor.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
I have a sense of humor. I enjoy the occasional joke, as long as it's clean, straightforward, uncontroversial, and, in no way, offends no one. I believe a laugh or two a day isn't going to cause irreversible harm, and, in fact, a good, healthy chuckle over a nice, clean joke can even do a person good, every now and then. However, anything that can be conceived as negative, pessimistic, or offensive to even a single person, should be discouraged, and possibly banned. Peoples' feelings are no laughing matter, and we should try to ensure that no one's feelings ever get hurt, especially due to something as frivolous as humor.

I'm adding Kilgore Trout to my list.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
However, anything that can be conceived as negative, pessimistic, or offensive to even a single person, should be discouraged, and possibly banned.
Then what of shows such as South Park or Family Guy that holds a mirror up to society and shows it just how ugly its reflection is? And then of course there are always those who don't get a joke or take it right, and find it offensive even though it's not. You like fish sticks?

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Then what of shows such as South Park or Family Guy that holds a mirror up to society and shows it just how ugly its reflection is? And then of course there are always those who don't get a joke or take it right, and find it offensive even though it's not. You like fish sticks?

Those types of shows are simply horrendous. They are vulgar, mean, dirty, and offensive, in addition to not being funny in the slightest. They are just a bunch of malcontents who lash out with hate and derision at anything they disagree with. Their type of "humor" appeals only to the lowest common denominator and people who are as spiteful, petty, and classless as they are.

Although, I think you might be onto something about there always being some people who don't get the joke.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Although, I think you might be onto something about there always being some people who don't get the joke.
Yup. And it seems you don't get South Park or Family Guy, because both shows are taking jabs at how mean, stupid, cruel, ignorant, vicious, and idiotic society is. And with South Park, there actually is a message of positive morality, and it also serves as a history of American culture for the past 20 years.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
The problem with stand up comedians is that they charge money to be worshipped like little comedy gods. I don't need to be paid for that.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Yup. And it seems you don't get South Park or Family Guy, because both shows are taking jabs at how mean, stupid, cruel, ignorant, vicious, and idiotic society is. And with South Park, there actually is a message of positive morality, and it also serves as a history of American culture for the past 20 years.

What "positive morality" is there in portraying little kids as racists, anti-Semites, homophobes, and sexists? Not to mention all the swearing, inappropriate sexual references, and constant "jokes" about poop, human waste, and bodily functions. I'm feeling dizzy and sick to my stomach just thinking about this show, and how millions of people are subjugated to this denigration of the human spirit. I've watched one or two episodes of this filth, and I've never been so offended or disturbed in my life. We live in sad times, indeed, if this garbage passes as "humor" in today's society. I weep for the children and our future.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
What "positive morality" is there in portraying little kids as racists, anti-Semites, homophobes, and sexists?
Cartman is pretty much the only one like (although at times they all have their short comings, but everyone does), and he is often punished for it (like the time he was grounded in one episode for having tried to exterminate the Jews in a previous episode). And there is the time when Stan was blasted by a Mormon kid because and told he has a lot of growing up to do because Stan couldn't get past the Mormon kid's religion. If you actually watch it, you'd know that tolerance, acceptance, and getting along are frequently promoted. The episode Big Gay Al's Big Gay Boat Ride was even widely praised, even from homosexual advocacy groups, for showing the struggles homosexuals face and how society treats and rejects them (and this was back in '96). Even things like bullying, feminism, and racism are addressed. They even had an episode about the Recession, and all the causes, which included people's poor financial habits and being addicted to credit.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Well, Bill Cosby, was.... although sadly his name isn't so funny no more. Cosby kids need to teach him a lesson.

Still on my faves, not limited to though in addition to those already mentioned.....

Dave Allen ... I've got a sawed off shotgun.

Christopher Walkin, doin his cowbell thing.

Chappelle..... KKK Grand Wizard . Black and blind.

Eddie Murphy. Aka Mr Rogers

Jackie Gleason. Your a real riot.

Rusty Warren.. Shake your boobies

The unknown comic .. things you get with a paper bag over your head.

Gallagher. Watermelon?

Rodney Dangerfield.. No respect

Howie Mandal... I'll call you Sybil.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Robin Williams, the comedian who I can no longer name (I think you can guess who it was), George Carlin was funny in his earlier years, Steve Martin, Eddie Murphy, and more.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
That one was comedy gold.
It was. I laughed so hard my sides literally ached! *Grin*

Chappelle was the only comedian that can take a very serious subject, show the real lunacy of things like racism, and make you snort your soda through your nose from laughing so hard. All in one go!

Incidentally, his imitation of Prince playing B-ball was completely priceless as well !!