• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite Chag/Yontif/Yom Tov

jewscout

Religious Zionist
Hey gang,

Just curious, do you have a favorite Chag/holiday? and if so, why?

Personally for me it goes:
1) Simchat Torah
2) Sukkot
3) Purim

Simchat Torah is my favorite because, well, it's just a really HAPPY holiday, w/ dancing and singing and drinking copious amounts of booze :D

Rejoicing in the torah, who can beat it???

Levite

Higher and Higher
Hey gang,

Just curious, do you have a favorite Chag/holiday? and if so, why?

Personally for me it goes:
1) Simchat Torah
2) Sukkot
3) Purim

Simchat Torah is my favorite because, well, it's just a really HAPPY holiday, w/ dancing and singing and drinking copious amounts of booze

Rejoicing in the torah, who can beat it???

1. Pesach. I love the celebration of freedom, the flow of the seder, the beauty of the symbolism.
2. Yom Kippur. OK, the fasting isn't so much fun, but I love the opportunity for intensive introspection, the music, the meditative davening, the majesty of the liturgical poetry, and the feeling at the end of being purified.
3. Sukkot/Shmini Atzeret. I love the repeated Hallels, the sound of lulavim waving, the scent of the etrogim, the hoshanot, and Tefillat Geshem. Water symbolism is always powerful for me.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
1. Pesach. I love the celebration of freedom, the flow of the seder, the beauty of the symbolism.
2. Yom Kippur. OK, the fasting isn't so much fun, but I love the opportunity for intensive introspection, the music, the meditative davening, the majesty of the liturgical poetry, and the feeling at the end of being purified.
3. Sukkot/Shmini Atzeret. I love the repeated Hallels, the sound of lulavim waving, the scent of the etrogim, the hoshanot, and Tefillat Geshem. Water symbolism is always powerful for me.

I enjoy the seder, the cleaning beforehand...not so much:D

Zardoz

Wonderful Wizard
Premium Member
No one mentions Chanukah? Well, more about the kids really...

I prefer Rosh HaShanna to Yom Kippur; it's Yom Kippur Lite! Now with less fainting! :faint:

No, really, medical issues make fasting a nightmare for me & the missus too.

Hate Purim, Love Sukkot! Anyone sleep in the Sukka? Put Shlomo Carlebach tapes in the boombox, it's party time! :camp:

Funny, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who really looks forward to Yom Kippur. I guess I need a "serious" holiday and not just a fun time.

Although I think Pesach might top it, for being the great balance between serious and fun.

And if we count Shabbat, it ranks high for me. It changes the whole way I look at the week.

1) Pesach
2) Yom Kippur
3) Shabbat

Not a fan of Simchat Torah or Purim, I'm not a party animal really.