• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite Buddha Quote

Otherright

Otherright
There is some wonderful wisdom in the sayings of the Buddha. What is your favorite Buddha Quote?

Here are a few of mine to get the ball rolling:

"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it."
- Kalama Sutta

"Work out your own salvation. Do not depend on others."
- Dammapada

"Mind your thoughts, as they become your words. Mind your words, as they become your actions. Mind your actions, as they become you."

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
"Our theories of the eternal are as valuable as are those which a chick which has not broken its way through its shell might form of the outside world."

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense."

Otherright

Otherright
"Our theories of the eternal are as valuable as are those which a chick which has not broken its way through its shell might form of the outside world."

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense."

Yeah that second one is my first.

elmarna

I see the quotes of Buddah and see a wise man reaizeing and able to get others to consider in a reasonable way. Thoughts and actions communicate and effect the world. The source of inspiation for those not cosidering this are likly to not see the ways in life outside of the formation of feelings they generate.

Yeshe Dawa

Lotus Born
Hi everyone!

A few of mine:

My mind is free from all past conditionings,
And craves the future no longer.

Impermanent are all formations,
Observe this carefully, constantly.

And my signature line is my favorite:

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Better than a thousand hollow words
Is one word that brings peace.

Better than a thousand hollow verses
Is one verse that brings peace.

Better than a hundred hollow lines
Is one line of the law, bringing peace.

All that we are is the result of what we have thought. If a man speaks or acts with an evil thought, pain follows him. If a man speaks or acts with a pure thought, happiness follows him, like a shadow that never leaves him.

Many Sages One Truth

"Those who act in anger have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for themselves"

"To the one that is awakened and wise all the gods love him, even Brahma the Creator"

"It is through earnest effort that Indra became the Lord of gods. The vigilant are honored, the slothful never."

elmarna

In the truths lies a path with a smile.
To consider any falsehood as a good way to see will lead him astray!

Otherright

Otherright
Better than a thousand hollow words
Is one word that brings peace.

Better than a thousand hollow verses
Is one verse that brings peace.

Better than a hundred hollow lines
Is one line of the law, bringing peace.

All that we are is the result of what we have thought. If a man speaks or acts with an evil thought, pain follows him. If a man speaks or acts with a pure thought, happiness follows him, like a shadow that never leaves him.

That's one of my favorites as well. You know most usually shorten it to the first two lines.

Otherright

Otherright
"Those who act in anger have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for themselves"

"To the one that is awakened and wise all the gods love him, even Brahma the Creator"

"It is through earnest effort that Indra became the Lord of gods. The vigilant are honored, the slothful never."

I like your first one. I actually have it on my facebook page.

Are the other two genuinely Buddha though or are they interpolations added by later sects hoping to reconcile Buddhism with Hinduism?

Yeshe Dawa

Lotus Born

Hi Gjallarhorn!

I like this one as well.:)

Peace and blessings,
Yeshe
:flower2:

Many Sages One Truth

I like your first one. I actually have it on my facebook page.

Are the other two genuinely Buddha though or are they interpolations added by later sects hoping to reconcile Buddhism with Hinduism?

Actually the later two are from the Dhammapada itself. What, you think Buddha himself wasn't a Hindu? Was there such a thing as Buddhism yet?

ratikala

Istha gosthi
the bhikkhu, who abides in loving kindness , who delightsinthe teachings of the buddha , attains the state of calm , the happiness of stilling all conditioned things . 368 .

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
"So I say to you -
This is how to contemplate our conditioned existence in this fleeting world:"

"Like a tiny drop of dew, or a bubble floating in a stream;
Like a flash of lightning in a summer cloud,
Or a flickering lamp, an illusion, a phantom, or a dream."

"So is all conditioned existence to be seen." - Diamond Cutter Sutra

"If good men and good women, who upon hearing the teaching of Buddha Amitabha, keep his name in their minds with utmost concentration and without distraction for one day, two days, three days, four days, five days, six days, or seven days, Buddha Amitabha, accompanied by his assembly of holy beings, will appear before them when their lives are at an end. With their minds free from distraction, they will be born in the Pure Land of Ultimate Bliss of Buddha Amitabha."

-- The Buddha (Smaller Sukhavativyuha Sutra)

"If, when I am to attain Buddhahood, all sentient beings in the ten directions who hold faith with genuine hearts and who wish to be born in My land are not born there with just ten moments of being mindful of Me, I will not realise enlightenment."

-- Amitabha Buddha (the 'Primal Vow,' the 18th Vow of Amitabha Buddha)

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
"In the sky, there is no distinction of east and west; people create distinctions out of their own minds and then believe them to be true."

"No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path."

"The wind cannot overturn a mountain.
Temptation cannot touch the man
Who is awake, strong and humble,
Who masters himself and minds the dharma."

"Free from fear and attachment,
Know the sweet joy of the way.
How joyful to look upon the awakened
And to keep company with the wise.
How long the road to the man
Who travels the road with the fool."