• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite Books?

Requia

You didn't mention a single view of either Zeitgeist or any of the mentioned books, nor do any of the criticisms of the book say that they failed to do any research, just that the conclusions are wrong.

I'm also highly amused that you would claim the authors are popularisers and not scholars, then turn around and quote something from Scientific American, which is the same damned thing.

Last edited:

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
You didn't mention a single view of either Zeitgeist or any of the mentioned books, nor do any of the criticisms of the book say that they failed to do any research, just that the conclusions are wrong.
Yes I did. both popularize the Jesus Myth hypothesis, with unscholarly material, and as far as im concerned a very sloppy 'research', now if you want to argue semantics with me and say that they did research and only came to the wrong conclusions go ahead, to me this is not research it is mental masturbation and an insult to real research and scholarship.

I'm also highly amused that you would claim the authors are popularisers and not scholars, then turn around and quote something from Scientific American, which is the same damned thing.
I'm highly impressed that you nitpicked that one quote and ignored the rest.

Requia

Yes I did. both popularize the Jesus Myth hypothesis
You never mentioned that. I was under the impression Zeitgeist was a truther flick, which is the only thing about Zeitgeist's content you mentioned.

I'm highly impressed that you nitpicked that one quote and ignored the rest.

Ok, lets look at the rest, this should be amusing too.

Chris Forbes, an ancient historian and senior lecturer at Macquarie University has criticised the work noting that Freke and Gandy are "not real scholars, they are popularisers.” He notes that their arguments about Jesus are "grossly misconceived, and their attempt to draw links between Jesus and various pagan god-men is completely muddled.

The best of the things you mentioned, however, its a blanket statement that contains no justification for its conclusions. There is no explanation as to why all this is the case.

"this was like asking a professional astronomer to debate with the authors of a book claiming the moon was made of green cheese."

Appeal to ridicule, again it lacks any actual information.

This is an old argument, even though it shows up every 10 years or so. This current craze that Christianity was a mystery religion

I'm not even sure what this has to do with the subject at hand, unless maybe it addresses one of the other books (I only have access to The Jesus Mysteries), as best I can tell from your descriptions and a brief skim they aren't arguing that Christianity started as a mystery religion, but that the myths about Jesus were adopted from other religions.

As for the rest of that post... why is attacking Zeitgeist relevant? (Hell its a truther flick, its poor quality isn't even in dispute). Is this some kind of variation on Ad Hitlerum?

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
I'm not even sure what this has to do with the subject at hand, unless maybe it addresses one of the other books (I only have access to The Jesus Mysteries), as best I can tell from your descriptions and a brief skim they aren't arguing that Christianity started as a mystery religion, but that the myths about Jesus were adopted from other religions.

As for the rest of that post... why is attacking Zeitgeist relevant? (Hell its a truther flick, its poor quality isn't even in dispute). Is this some kind of variation on Ad Hitlerum?
I'm sorry, but it seems you dont even know what we are arguing about. read the Jesus mysteries, and watch Zeitgeist, and we'll debate. if you are unfamiliar with the content of both and have no experience with them, what is it exactly that you are arguing?

Samurai

I recommend these books.

1. The World's Religions: Our great wisdom traditions - Huston Smith.
2.Buddha - Karen Armstrong.
3. Introducing Islam: A graphic guide - Ziauddin Sardar.
4.The history of the world religions - David S. Noss.
5. Misquoting Jesus: The story behind who changed the bible and why - Bart D. Ehrman.

6. Islam: Past, Present and Future - Hans Kung
7. The Bible, the Quran and Science: The Holy Scriptures examined in the light of modern knowledge - Maurice Bucaille.
8. God: The evidence: The reconciliation of Faith and Reason in a postsecular world - Patrick Glynn.

writing90

I recommend these books.

1. The World's Religions: Our great wisdom traditions - Huston Smith.
2.Buddha - Karen Armstrong.
3. Introducing Islam: A graphic guide - Ziauddin Sardar.
4.The history of the world religions - David S. Noss.
5. Misquoting Jesus: The story behind who changed the bible and why - Bart D. Ehrman.

6. Islam: Past, Present and Future - Hans Kung
7. The Bible, the Quran and Science: The Holy Scriptures examined in the light of modern knowledge - Maurice Bucaille.
8. God: The evidence: The reconciliation of Faith and Reason in a postsecular world - Patrick Glynn.
It's great when read all them.

Last edited:

RGA1459

Some of my favorite books, which can all be read at Internet Sacred Text Archive Home (can't stress enough how useful this site is for any religious scholar!).

The Cloud Upon the Sanctuary, by Karl Eckartshausen
The Secret Teachings of All Ages, by Manley P. Hall (a must read)
The Goal of Life, by Hiram Butler
Mysticism, Christian and Buddhist, by Daisetz Teitaro Suzuki
Isis Unveiled, as well as The Secret Doctrine, both by H.P. Blavatsky
Theosophy, by Rudolf Steiner
and last but not least Fragments of a Faith Forgotten, by G.R.S. Mead
The last one deals strictly in Gnosticism, others concern other mystical traditions. They are, in my opinion, the best sources for anyone wanting to begin study on the mystery traditions.

Jon9

The Secret Book of The Egyptian Gnostics by Jean Doresse it includes Gnosticism its earliest elements, the problem with Gnosticism and all manuscripts found in 1945 at Nag Hammadi. Seems very comprehensive, lots of footnotes, good book to have around.