• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite Biblical/Christian film?

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I just finished watching the Passion of the Christ. I hadn't seen it in years. I forgot how powerful it is. It is simply stunning in HD. Gorgeously shot. Brilliant acting. I even cried a few times. You really feel Mary's motherly sorrow and pain and can't help but cry along with her. Controversial but certainly one of the greats.

Another good one I saw lately was Risen. I came across it in tv and was pleasantly surprised how good it is. It's about a Roman soldier investigating claims that Jesus has come back from the dead. It basically tells the stort from the perspective of a non-believer who comes to know the truth about it. It's definitely a Christian movie, I'd say, but the acting is very good. Very good cast, with Joseph Fiennes as the lead.

Another favorite of mine is the Last Temptation of Christ. I cannot understand why some Christians have a problem with it. It really just shows the human side of Jesus with him being tempted with visions of having a wife and family, trying to get him to give up his mission at the cross. Great performances and a perspective we usually don't see. Plus, Bowie is in it!

My favorite movie about a Saint would undeniably have to be the Passion of Joan of Arc. It's an old silent film from the '20s and is universally recognized as one of the greatest films and greatest performances (by Falconetti, as Joan) in film history. If you haven't seen it, go watch it ASAP.

Last edited:

Jesster

Friendly skeptic
Premium Member
Does The Book of Eli count? I can't really think of anything else I care for.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I have a soft spot for the Epics like Ben Hur, 10 Commandments and Barrabus.

Pasolini's Gospel according to St Matthew os pretty good too.

Beh Hur was probably one of the first films that brought tears to my eyes (the leprosy vanishing) - having seen it many times before. :cry:

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Just for getting the ol' brain cells firing, The Last Temptation Of Christ tops the list for me.

I'm not sure if I have posted here before but... my favourite all time religious movie is definitely "Fratello Solle, Sorella Luna". I was recently in Assisi (Italy) from where St Francis and St Clare were from and I can say I honestly fell in love in the lives and the work these two saints. The movie is totally amazing and inspiring. Because what I think is more importantly portrayed in the movie is that St Francis and St Clare understood the message of Jesus and God, and dedicated their lives to him, and to the poor. Also the songs are beautiful. For anyone who hasn't seen it, it is a must-watch. :)

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
By far "Jesus of Nazareth" that came out as a t.v. production in the 1970's.