• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite bible verses

Imagist

Worshipper of Athe.
What's your favorite bible verse?

My personal favorite is:

1 Kings 12:10 said:
The young men who had grown up with him replied, "Tell these people who have said to you, 'Your father put a heavy yoke on us, but make our yoke lighter'-tell them, 'My little finger is thicker than my father's waist.

Why is this my favorite verse?

The verse is an example of uninteresting translation of a vague phrase. 'My little finger' is more literally, 'My little one'. While 'little finger' is a possible meaning, the entire point of Rehoboam's statement was to be insulting and tough-sounding, so it is much more likely that he was referring to a certain aspect of the male anatomy.

So the next time someone calls you a wimp, go biblical on them and say, "My penis is thicker than your waist." That's much more colorful than your average insult.

GiantHouseKey

Greetings
What's your favorite bible verse?

Probably:
Deuteronomy 22:28 said:
If a man is caught in the act of raping a young woman who is not engaged, he must pay fifty pieces of silver to her father

The bible is one of my favourite books, and it annoys me that people take it so literally. It was obvious that Moses was a man xD

GhK.

Bishadi

this is not my favorite but it is one that stands out

James 1
26If any one doth think to be religious among you, not bridling his tongue, but deceiving his heart, of this one vain [is] the religion;

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
Mathew 5:39 But I tell you not to resist an evil person. But whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also.

One of the most misunderstood verses in the bible. Most think it means if someone mistreats you that you ignore them and forgive/forget. But instead it means that if someone slaps you to stand up for yourself and slap him back.

Beaudreaux

Mathew 5:39 But I tell you not to resist an evil person. But whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also.

One of the most misunderstood verses in the bible. Most think it means if someone mistreats you that you ignore them and forgive/forget. But instead it means that if someone slaps you to stand up for yourself and slap him back.
Wha?????? How do you get that interpretation? You are "not to resist an evil person" so how could it be directing you to slap them back. Plus the meaning is quite clear. If someone slaps you one one cheek, offer them the other also. How do you get "hit them back" out of that?

Enoch07

Premium Member
Wha?????? How do you get that interpretation? You are "not to resist an evil person" so how could it be directing you to slap them back. Plus the meaning is quite clear. If someone slaps you one one cheek, offer them the other also. How do you get "hit them back" out of that?

Offer the other one to them. Its clear as day to me haha. I cant think to explain it in a more simple way. If you disagree though thats fine. I dont expect you to understand.

Seven

six plus one

:DDontcha just love the bible! It's really is 'all things to all people'.

CarlinKnew

Wow there are so many good ones to choose from, but here's one that I like: kill everyone (including the children) except the virgins, and rape the virgins! The bible is an example of perfect morality!

Numbers 31:15-18 said:
And Moses said unto them, Have ye saved all the women alive? ... Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him. But all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Here's a lovely paragraph from the book of Job:

Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare, if thou hast understanding.
Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?
Whereupon are the foundations thereof fastened? or who laid the corner stone thereof; When the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy?

~Job 38:4-7

whitnessforhim

Messianic Believer
This is probably my favorite:

"But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect," 1 Peter 3:15

Enoch07

Premium Member
Wow there are so many good ones to choose from, but here's one that I like: kill everyone (including the children) except the virgins, and rape the virgins! The bible is an example of perfect morality!

You left a very important verse out of that scripture. You quoted verses 15, 17, 18 and left out 16 even though you stated you was quoting 15-18. Verse 16 explains why he did it. Proof that you are a have tried to change the meaning of the word to suit your own agenda. You disgust me.

Numbers 31:16 Look, these women caused the children of Israel, through the counsel of Balaam, to trespass against the Lord in the incident of Peor, and there was a plaque among the congregation of the Lord.

Last edited:

Bishadi

Ouch!

Jesus shared that WE (mankind) each have the ability to 'turn the other cheek'; true forgiveness.

That means, when someone harms you, that you will NOT continue that BAD in your choices.

Such that if you car is broken into, you are not supposed to allow that ill regard to cause you to impose upon others/yourself.

That is what Jesus taught and to not understand that and claim being a christian, shares just how bad much of what Jesus taught is abused by the very people who claims to Love Jesus.

Enoch07

Premium Member
Ouch!

Jesus shared that WE (mankind) each have the ability to 'turn the other cheek'; true forgiveness.

That means, when someone harms you, that you will NOT continue that BAD in your choices.

Such that if you car is broken into, you are not supposed to allow that ill regard to cause you to impose upon others/yourself.

That is what Jesus taught and to not understand that and claim being a christian, shares just how bad much of what Jesus taught is abused by the very people who claims to Love Jesus.

So if you walk in on your wife and children being brutally raped and murdered you are just going to throw your shoulders into the air and be like "Well Jesus told me to love everyone" then walk away? If you do not have the courage and conviction to atleast try and to defend yourself and your loved ones, then your life is as worthless as the keyboard you type on.

Jesus did not preach for us to live in fear and let people walk over us.

Last edited:

EverChanging

Originally Posted by CarlinKnew

You left a very important verse out of that scripture. You quoted verses 15, 17, 18 and left out 16 even though you stated you was quoting 15-18. Verse 16 explains why he did it. Proof that you are a have tried to change the meaning of the word to suit your own agenda. You disgust me.

Numbers 31:16 Look, these women caused the children of Israel, through the counsel of Balaam, to trespass against the Lord in the incident of Peor, and there was a plaque among the congregation of the Lord.

It disgusts me even more that you think the innocent children should have been slaughtered, all because some ridiculous religious taboo was violated. What was so much better about the virgins than the children? Oh yeah, they're good for raping.

So if you walk in on your wife and children being brutally raped and murdered you are just going to throw your shoulders into the air and be like "Well Jesus told me to love everyone" then walk away? If you do not have the courage and conviction to atleast try and to defend yourself and your loved ones, then your life is as worthless as the keyboard you type on.

Jesus did not preach for us to live in fear and let people walk over us.

I agree with defending your family, but unfortunately, that's not what Jesus taught according to your Bible.

EverChanging

I'll start with some scriptures I actually do like, even though there are many I don't like. I like this one because it's poetic, even though I'm an atheist:

Where could I go to escape your spirit?
Where could I flee from your presence?
If I climb the heavens, you are there,
there too, if I lie in Sheol.
If I flew to the point of sunrise, or westward across the sea
your hand would still be guiding me, your right hand holding me.
—Ps. 139.7-10

I like this one if Jesus is considered more of a metaphor than a historical person (I think it is likely that he did not exist):

The bread of God is that which comes down from heaven and gives life to the world...I am the bread of life. He who comes to me will never be hungry. (John 6:33,36).

And I like these because they are similar to pantheism or at least less theistic than other parts of the Bible. Pantheism appeals to me, though I don't use the label to describe myself:

In him we live, and move, and have our being....We are his offspring. (Acts 17:28 NIV)

For from him, and through him and to him are all things (Romans 8:36 NIV).

There is one God who is father of all, over all, through all and within all (Eph. 4:6).

God is love, and everyone who lives in love, lives in God, and God in him. (1 John 4:16).

God is light, and in him is no darkness at all. (1 John 1:5).

As for my favorite scripture to demonstrate that it is immoral by modern standards and definitely not all about love and kindness, this is one of them:

When a man strikes his male or female slave with a rod so hard that the slave dies under his hand, he shall be punished. If, however, the slave survives for a day or two, he is not to be punished, since the slave is his own property. (Exodus 21:20-21 NAB)

CarlinKnew

Are you out of your mind? Verse 16 explains "why" he did it, but do you think that actually justifies murdering children and keeping virgins for your own personal benefit? The bible disgusts me, and the fact that you're trying to justify that horrendous act is also disgusting.

Here's the entire passage:

31:15 And Moses said unto them, Have ye saved all the women alive?
31:16 Behold, these caused the children of Israel, through the counsel of Balaam, to commit trespass against the LORD in the matter of Peor, and there was a plague among the congregation of the LOR
31:17 Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him.
31:18 But all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves.

Enoch07

Premium Member
It disgusts me even more that you think the innocent children should have been slaughtered, all because some ridiculous religious taboo was violated. What was so much better about the virgins than the children? Oh yeah, they're good for raping.

I agree with defending your family, but unfortunately, that's not what Jesus taught according to your Bible.

Do you realize what a plague is sir? A congregation? These people Moses have commanded to death released a plaque onto an entire congregation. They killed a whole lot of people men, women, and children with that plague. And they did it in cold blooded murder. I realize nowadays that kind of vengeance is unacceptable. But back in the Old Testament days this is how you dealt with murderers. I assume you would let them continue to live and murder again. At that point don't you think your are atleast a little bit responsible for the deaths of those people?

Last edited: