• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite Bible Study Guides?

CrochetOverCoffee

Ask me anything about the church of Christ.
My favorite is the Back to the Bible series written by Bobby Bates and the new supplementals, Believe the Bible, that were written by Rob Whitacre. The originals are for someone who already believes in God and the Bible, the supplementals are to help someone who doesn't believe yet, but is interested. And they're very easy to use, literally being read the Scripture and fill in the blank. Even new converts can use them to bring souls to Christ.

Back to the Bible Set

Believe the Bible Set

Nimos

My favorite is the Back to the Bible series written by Bobby Bates and the new supplementals, Believe the Bible, that were written by Rob Whitacre. The originals are for someone who already believes in God and the Bible, the supplementals are to help someone who doesn't believe yet, but is interested. And they're very easy to use, literally being read the Scripture and fill in the blank. Even new converts can use them to bring souls to Christ.

Back to the Bible Set

Believe the Bible Set
I would suggest reading it for yourself and make up your own opinion. Afterwards one can go to those you mention and ask questions about stuff one doesn't understand.

The understanding of the bible can be extremely influenced by the teachers own personal view.

Also I would highly recommend watching the academic breakdown of it from Yale University, both the OT and NT, both are very good I think.

Introduction to the Old Testament (Hebrew Bible) | Open Yale Courses

Introduction to the New Testament History and Literature | Open Yale Courses

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't own these, but I want some books on manners and customs of the cultures in the scriptures. I've looked inside one that is very good, but I don't remember which author writes it. Available authors are Freeman and Gower. Probably its one of those. Freeman is related to the methodists and wesleyans. Gower is related to the moody bible institute. I think anything will be helpful which explains the materials, the clothing, the behaviors, how marriage contracts are done, how inheritance happens, tents, offerings, land contracts...all of those things.

I strongly also suggest one of the most interesting courses on Egyptology that goes through all Egypt's pharoahs from Narmer through the last of the Greek pharoahs -- 3000 years of pharoahs. In the information about the pharoahs you can see Israel's #1 nemesis for thousands of years which regularly kidnaps, pillages and offers protection to all those living in that land we now call Israel. Egypt is like an ocean lapping at the shoreline, always trying to take the land but always held in its place, like some invisible hand is holding it back. All of the pharoahs brag about their military exploits and oppressions and pillagings and some mention their attacks and exploits against Israel. Another neat feature is that the presenter tries to guess which pharoah is Moses' pharoah. This course has changed my view of the scriptures by revealing the enemies of Israel and the nature of the nations that Israel must not become like. The course is titled Great Pharoahs of Ancient Egypt and the presenter is Prof. Bob Briar.

Viker

Häxan
I've found Strong's Concordance useful when studying the KJV.

And yes, I do have a copy of the KJV Bible. :p

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member

Back to the Bible Set

Believe the Bible Set

Hi coffee! I love coffee! Anyway, I have numerous Christian study guides and commentaries which are of great assistance especially in understanding historical and cultural background.

As for interpretation, I refer to the Baha’i ones because I believe they are the most accurate.