• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite Bible error

vaguelyhumanoid

"Dearest child, this bright star from heaven,
this huge boulder that you could not lift -
it stands for a dear friend, a mighty hero.
You will take him in your arms, embrace and caress him
the way a man caresses his wife.
She also called this person ‘the companion of his heart’."

Upon meeting him in the underworld:

If I am going to tell you the rules of the Netherworld that I saw,
sit you down (and) weep!

[(So)] let me sit down and weep!” [Gilgamesh]
[My friend, the] penis that you touched so your heart rejoiced,
grubs devour [(it) … like an] old garment.
[My friend, the crotch that you] touched so your heart rejoiced,
it is filled with dust [like a crack in the ground.]

Thanda

My favourite is in Exodus 33:

11 And the Lordspake unto Moses face to face, as a man speaketh unto his friend. And he turned again into the camp: but his servant Joshua, the son of Nun, a young man, departed not out of the tabernacle.​

And then later in the same chapter

20 And he said, Thou canst not see my face: for there shall no man see me, and live.​

vaguelyhumanoid

ehh, idk about that one. "Face to face" can be an idiom. I'd have to know the literal (word for word) translation from the Hebrew.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
It wasn't written wrong, It was translated/copied wrong. Why is that possible? Because we have free will.
I was always confused about why people didn't understand Matthew 24:34 because can't it simply be interpreted as the generation that will experience those things and not literally the generation right in front of Him? Because He doesn't say your generation He says this generation, as in reference to the generation that will experience the signs.

And you know morality isn't universal or objective, right?

So God wants us to learn the wrong things? Why hire crummy transcribers?

Skwim

Veteran Member
Free will.
He didn't hire anybody. People do what they want, including stuffing up things.
So, after going to the trouble to set forth all his thoughts, commandments, history, and facts so as to convince the generations to come to rely on his son for salvation, god didn't give a rap if it got bungled up. Is that it?

Last edited:

Thana

Lady
So, after going to the trouble to set forth all his thoughts, commandments, history, and facts so as to convince the generations to come to rely on his son for salvation, god didn't give a rap if it got bungled up. Is that it?

Some minor, irrelevant translation issues are far from bungled up.

What I'm saying is an infallible bible is not necessary. The essential message is perfectly safe and fine and is repeated practically every gospel so it doesn't matter if a few things get lost in translation whilst free will is upheld in the meantime.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Some minor, irrelevant translation issues are far from bungled up.
Never having heard of,"stuffing up things" before, I took a stab at its meaning and figured it meant something like bungled up. So, if it doesn't mean bungled up, just what does "stuffing up things" mean?

What I'm saying is an infallible bible is not necessary. The essential message is perfectly safe and fine and is repeated practically every gospel so it doesn't matter if a few things get lost in translation
Nice to see a believer who is fine with the errors in the Bible, and recognizes that after god dictated the Bible he choose not to have anything more to do with it. In effect, abandoning it.

whilst free will is upheld in the meantime.
Can't agree at all about the existence of free will. It's an illusion. A particularly necessary one for Christians.

Thana

Lady
Never having heard of,"stuffing up things" before, I took a stab at its meaning and figured it meant something like bungled up. So, if it doesn't mean bungled up, just what does "stuffing up things" mean?

I suppose it's a more pleasant way to say screwed up.

Nice to see a believer who is fine with the errors in the Bible, and recognizes that after god dictated the Bible he choose not to have anything more to do with it. In effect, abandoning it.

Can't agree at all about the existence of free will. It's an illusion. A particularly necessary one for Christians.

I don't think He abandoned it, I think He inspired people to write it. I don't think every single minute detail in the bible is literally 'God's word' as in dictated by Him. I think the bible is just inspired by Him and is a collection of people's experiences with Him and their perspectives/worldviews.

And you're a determinist? Not surprising I guess.

Skwim

Veteran Member
I don't think He abandoned it, I think He inspired people to write it. I don't think every single minute detail in the bible is literally 'God's word' as in dictated by Him. I think the bible is just inspired by Him and is a collection of people's experiences with Him and their perspectives/worldviews.
So its errors may well have been there from the git go. I can buy that.

A hard determinist no less---I just can't help it. ;)

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
My favourite error, is the bible itself, ha.:p

Actually, I've heard it argued that it is an error on the part of some Christian congregations to rely exclusively or almost exclusively on the Bible, rather than also incorporate traditions, scholarship, and so forth into their take on Christianity.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Actually, I've heard it argued that it is an error on the part of some Christian congregations to rely exclusively or almost exclusively on the Bible, rather than also incorporate traditions, scholarship, and so forth into their take on Christianity.
Yes no matter what, there is still a lot of error in the so called bible, there must be, because its written by humans and humans aren't perfect, never have been and never will be.

Kelly of the Phoenix

It wasn't written wrong, It was translated/copied wrong. Why is that possible? Because we have free will.
I was always confused about why people didn't understand Matthew 24:34 because can't it simply be interpreted as the generation that will experience those things and not literally the generation right in front of Him? Because He doesn't say your generation He says this generation, as in reference to the generation that will experience the signs.

And you know morality isn't universal or objective, right?
How can it be copied or pasted wrong? I thought God was in charge of it? Even if he did say "your generation", y'all would just say it meant ours or whatever, like every other apocalypse-mongerer. I'm 38 and have lived through about 10 or more scheduled ends of the world. It bores me, actually.

I believe that while morality is culturally derived, the basis of not harming others is a catch all and there are objective reasons to accomplish various morals.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
I suppose it's a more pleasant way to say screwed up.

Some people do take it as if it was "dictated" by God. That's a huge error. Unless it is true that he did dictate it. But that's no good, because then it would make God a very bungled up dictator and a little fickle too. But that's understandable considering he's got a split personality... or wait, he's three in one, so he's got multiple personalities. So from the post that had those numbers of men confused in Samuel, that is easily explained... God the father, or Jesus, or the Holy Spirit, one of them isn't good at math.

Thana

Lady
How can it be copied or pasted wrong? I thought God was in charge of it? Even if he did say "your generation", y'all would just say it meant ours or whatever, like every other apocalypse-mongerer. I'm 38 and have lived through about 10 or more scheduled ends of the world. It bores me, actually.

I believe that while morality is culturally derived, the basis of not harming others is a catch all and there are objective reasons to accomplish various morals.

Nope. God inspired it, and what happened after that is determined by ourselves. Free will and all, as I've explained thrice already.

And I don't see how the end of the world could bore you, since scienists don't expect it to be that far off if we keep going at this rate (Overpopulation, Global warming, dwindling resources you name it really). And if that's not a big enough of an issue you've got two people (Putin and Kim Jong) who have access to world destroying weapons and are definitely crazy enough to use them.

Kelly of the Phoenix

I don't believe in free will as I see no evidence of it. Everything that happens is a result of everything else that happens.

If the end comes from environmental disasters, even though I'm not 40 yet, I still have some time then. Life is not like a natural disaster movie where the planet goes from lush to Hoth in under 2 hours. The Kims are a joke. Putin is dangerous but there are plenty of reasons (global economies, for one) NOT to do something irreversibly stupid. I like to think I know the difference between real threats (Russia and China, but for the economy surely they're not that stupid) and the macho posturing (North Korea, Iraq, Iran, etc). Besides, a few bombs, even nuclear ones, wouldn't kill us or Russia. We act like it'll wipe out humanity but we already used them on 2 cities plus all the testing sites and other than ground zero deaths and chronic illnesses, life will continue given enough time. It's hard to wipe out all life on earth. You'd probably have to throw the planet into the sun to pull that off, for even one bacterium would be enough to start things over again. If it's one thing we've learned of God's extinction events, it's that He always leaves a few backup files handy.