• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite Bible error

Kelly of the Phoenix

Oh gee,,I found a translation error in the Bible,,, let me cry out like an ignorant child and claim "foul"!!! Oh Gee,,Jesus hasn't appeared yet,,,well,,I guess that means He isn't coming and His Bible is a fraud. lol. There are many, who will have that stupid look of surprise and confusion at the last day. You have forsaken the Bible as a joke. You have taken the longsuffering and mercy of God to mean He doesn't exist. Surely He is just when He destroys those who have mocked His Bible and His Law and His Mercy. The Bible calls the destruction of the wicked His "strange act". Strange for a loving God to destroy His Creation. Nevertheless, it will be done. Amen!
There are people who think the bible is inerrant. God fails basic language courses? Is that why translation errors occur? Jesus said he'd be back within one generation and ... nope (or, at least, his followers said he said that). If God justifies ignoring the morals He said were so important we follow by saying He's "strange", yes, we get to call Him out on it, just as Abraham asked God if it were REALLY necessary and moral to toast two cities (one of which didn't even really register as part of the story). If morality is an important thing, we should stand up for it, even when the sinner looks like God.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
Personally, I always thought the biggest mistake in the Bible is the cover art.

Seriously, why didn't their publishers try to jazz it up at least a little? Like, with Jesus riding a giant snake through space while the sun explodes or something? It would probably sell way better.

Jedster

Seriously, why didn't their publishers try to jazz it up at least a little? Like, with Jesus riding a giant snake through space while the sun explodes or something? It would probably sell way better.
:)
A book you may like "Jesus on Mars", here's a clip from wiki

"Towards the end of the novel, Jesus leads a flotilla of spaceships back to Earth in a reenactment of the Second Coming. Although desiring peaceful interaction and offering immortality and boundless manna, they are prepared for hostile action. As can be expected, Jesus is accused of being the Antichrist."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus_on_Mars

jonathan180iq

The Baller's Bible
jesusdinosaur.jpg

Skwim

Veteran Member
<yawn>

Yet another childish bible-bashing thread.​

</yawn>
Nevertheless . . .
At the same time ...
I strongly suspect that it's an addition, but I am far from certain.
Therefore?
Specifically which two authors disagreed? ... based on what evidence?
Brilliant.
And there are those who do not think the bible is inerrant. Therefore?
winking-thumbs-up-smiley-emoticon.gif

Last edited:

Muffled

Jesus in me
Not sure if this is the right place for this, but just curious which error, inconsistency, anachronism or plagiarism is your favorite.

My favorite is the JW view that Jesus must be an archangel because He comes with the shout of an archangel. Granted the "with" can be misunderstood to mean that but the rest of scripture does not support that view. I believe Jesus was accompanied by an archangel who used his voice.

Muffled

Jesus in me
"for by grace have ye been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not of works, that no man should glory." (Ephesians 2:8-9)

"And the sea gave up the dead that were in it; and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works." (Revelation 20:13)

And wow, that II Samuel one is crazy.

I believe the difference is due to a different dispensation. Those who are saved by grace do not fall under the white throne judgement.

Rapha

If we can understand the "contradictions" then the thread may thrive?
Ever wondered if the Annunaki wrote the Bible according to how they were going to control world events ?

Then the God Presence beyond the Universe constantly stops the evil Annunaki from keeping this planet as a slave planet for their elite bloodline and this is why there are so many contradictions as world events unfold now.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Ever wondered if the Annunaki wrote the Bible according to how they were going to control world events ?

Then the God Presence beyond the Universe constantly stops the evil Annunaki from keeping this planet as a slave planet for their elite bloodline and this is why there are so many contradictions as world events unfold now.

I honestly don't know Annunaki. I looked it up. Giants?
http://www.trueghosttales.com/who-were-the-annunaki.php

How does it relate to your post?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I don't mean to be rude, but I do want to honestly ask Christians. A JW that used to come here preached about the devil nature of Catholicism and how it is paganism. Granted I disagreed, but he does have a point. He says, "Even if it Catholicism is good they still use pagan elements in their worship. Why associate yourselves with paganism regardless of the results" I don't remember the exact wording; and, that was the gist.

My question to Christians (and even Jews and Muslims), why associate yourselves with sacred text that has anything with murder in it? It could be for good reasons (like pagan elements make Catholicism a beautiful religion and brings a lot of people to Christ), and so does murder? Does your experiences with God override not only what the Bible means but what is in the Bible itself?

How do you see these things in the Bible in a good light? The JW looks at pagan elements with such distastes where when I go into a Catholic Church and watch the consecration of the Eucharist, I am in total awe. Likewise, while a anti-christian atheist may look at the Bible and the murder with distaste and loathing, a Christian (Jew or Muslim) may see the words in their sacred text as beautiful and a way to bring one to spiritual growth etc.

Just as the JW doesn't see the connection between using pagan elements within the context of Christian teachings to bring one to Christ, so does some of us who are not Christian do not see the connection between the events of the Bible metaphor or not as a tool or foundation for spiritual growth.

If you had read all this, please reflect on this. It just dawned on me really, after reading these posts.

:herb:

I will not question/attack your answer. I'm just wondering how you see one thing connected to another metaphor or not and good experience or not.

That is honestly one of the huge reasons I left Christianity. The practice is very beautiful. The connection to Christ through the Eucharist cannot be described in words. The repenting is a full cleansing that no person can ever do (confession is forgiveness by god not to the priest). And so and so forth.

However, because Christianity is associated with horrible acts and such it is not something I find a good foundation of spiritual growth. It is lying to myself, a huge contradiction to my vary practice to say "I am a Christian" but say "Naw, don't look at that, that's just a metaphor." or however we excuse God's intentions and actions. That's just me.

Where is the logic in finding good in Just that is not defined by teaching someone what is right but killing others to teach it instead.

Metaphor or not, it doesn't make sense.

Last edited:

aoji

Ah, scriptural errors - either we don't understand what was said, or because we didn't hear how it was said we can't understand what is/was written, or what was said as an error was intentional to test the believer who thinks he knows.

Osho told the story of a female mystic that would correct the errors in her Qur'an. When confronted she would say that she knew that they were errors so she had to correct them. Meaning, those who are Enlightened know Truth and can correct untruths.

aoji

"Even if it, Catholicism, is good they still use pagan elements in their worship. Why associate yourselves with paganism regardless of the results?"

Wouldn't the NT "story" of eating foods dedicated to pagan gods apply?, that the eater either didn't know that it was dedicated to pagan gods, in which case he was innocent, or since he did not believe in the pagan gods he knew that eating it would have no effect. http://www.gotquestions.org/food-sacrificed-idols.html 1st Corinthians 8:4-13

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Wouldn't the NT "story" of eating foods dedicated to pagan gods apply?, that the eater either didn't know that it was dedicated to pagan gods, in which case he was innocent, or since he did not believe in the pagan gods he knew that eating it would have no effect. http://www.gotquestions.org/food-sacrificed-idols.html 1st Corinthians 8:4-13

I don't know. My point was associated with how the JW see Christianity. I disagree with them, and they have a good point, though. I don't understand what you're getting at.

vaguelyhumanoid

Brilliant.

It's not that far-fetched; it goes back hundreds of years as an interpretation. Some arguments for it are anachronistic but what gets me is that the Bible has many parallels with Sumerian mythology such as a flood myth, a heavenly garden etc. In the Epic of Gilgamesh, Gilgamesh takes another warrior (Enkidu) as a lover and mourns his untimely death. Their story closely resembles that of David & Jonathan.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
...Gilgamesh takes another warrior (Enkidu) as a lover and mourns his untimely death. Their story closely resembles that of David & Jonathan.
:rolleyes:
Enkidu ... is a central figure in the Ancient MesopotamianEpic of Gilgamesh. Enkidu was formed from clay and saliva by Aruru, the goddess of creation, to rid Gilgameshof his arrogance. In the story he is a wild man, raised by animals and ignorant of human society until he is bedded by Shamhat. Thereafter a series of interactions with humans and human ways bring him closer to civilization, culminating in a wrestling match with Gilgamesh, king of Uruk. Enkidu embodies the wild or natural world, and, though equal to Gilgamesh in strength and bearing, he acts in some ways as an antithesis to the cultured, urban-bred warrior-king. Enkidu then becomes the king's constant companion and deeply beloved friend, accompanying him on adventures until he is stricken with illness and dies. [source]

Thana

Lady
There are people who think the bible is inerrant. God fails basic language courses? Is that why translation errors occur? Jesus said he'd be back within one generation and ... nope (or, at least, his followers said he said that). If God justifies ignoring the morals He said were so important we follow by saying He's "strange", yes, we get to call Him out on it, just as Abraham asked God if it were REALLY necessary and moral to toast two cities (one of which didn't even really register as part of the story). If morality is an important thing, we should stand up for it, even when the sinner looks like God.

It wasn't written wrong, It was translated/copied wrong. Why is that possible? Because we have free will.
I was always confused about why people didn't understand Matthew 24:34 because can't it simply be interpreted as the generation that will experience those things and not literally the generation right in front of Him? Because He doesn't say your generation He says this generation, as in reference to the generation that will experience the signs.

And you know morality isn't universal or objective, right?