• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite and least favorite LDS hymns

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I've seen threads on favorite hymns before, but I'm not familiar with most of the hymns people list as their favorites. Even when someone posts the words of a hymn, it doesn't help much, because without the music, something's missing. Of course, non-LDS Christians wouldn't be familiar with a lot of our hymns either. I'm just curious which of the hymns in our hymn book are the favorites of the other LDS posters.

Some of my favorites (in the order in which they appear in the hymn book) are:

1. The Spirit of God
2. Joseph Smith's First Prayer
3. A Poor Wayfaring Man of Grief
4. Come, Come Ye Saints
5. How Great Thou Art
6. Prayer of Thanksgiving
7. Lead Kindly Light
8. Come unto Jesus
9. Be Still, My Soul
10. Where Can I Turn for Peace?
11. I Stand All Amazed
12. Because I Have Been Given Much
13. Onward, Christian Soldiers
14. Carry On
15. If You Could Hie to Kolob
16. O My Father
17. Families Can Be Together Forever
18. Love One Another

There aren't very many hymns I really can't stand, but one of them is "Love at Home." I know you'll all wonder why I would ever say that. It's just that the words are SOOOO syrupy.

PHOTOTAKER

"i need thee every hour" is one of my fav's

"if you could hie to kolob" i like it but right now its not one of my fav we sing it at least twice a mounth

jonny

I really love the hymns and have lots of favorites. I tend to like the ones that are a little upbeat. Here are some of my favorites.

The Spirit of God
Now Let us Rejoice
Joseph Smith's First Prayer
Praise to the Man
Praise to the Lord, the Almighty
God of our Fathers, Whose Almighty Hand
The Lord is my Light
Lead Kindly Light
I Need Thee Every Hour
Jesus, Lover of my Soul
Jesus, Savior, Pilot Me
Our Saviors Love
Be Still My Soul
More Holiness Give Me
I Know that My Redeemer Lives
If You Could Hie to Kolob

I could go on, but I think that's a pretty good list. I thought that it would be cool to share one of my favorite lines from the hymns. This one isn't really one of my favorites, but I love this line:

HYMN 134 "I Believe In Christ"
"I believe in Christ; so come what may, With him I'll stand in that great day."

Another line I love:

HYMN 131 "More Holiness Give Me"
"More fit for the kingdom, More used would I be, More blessed and holy - More, Savior like thee."

SoyLeche

meh...
There are too many that I like to list. One that sticks out though is 336 - School Thy Feelings. This song works really well for a men's quartet.

The one that comes to mind that I really can't stand is "We are Sowing" - #216. In case you are wondering, there is no melody going on in the 3rd line. It drives me crazy. I'd never heard the song before I went to Peru, and they sang it all the time - a cappella and only the "melody" - meaning the soprano line. Notice that the soprano part for the 3rd line is a single note repeated the whole time. I've tried to figure out if another part has taken the melody at that point, but none of them sound right.

nutshell

Some Favorites:

The Spirit of God
All Creatures of Our God and King
A Poor Wayfaring Man of Grief
If You Could Hie to Kolob (this was popular in Japan - not because they knew what it was about, but because the melody is famous in Japan - even the investigators would catch on and sing it)
In Humility Our Savior
The Battle Hymn of the Republic
Families Can Be Together Forever
Ye Elders of Israel

And many more...all in a 3-disk set for only $49.99 plus shipping and handling! The first 100 callers will receive the bonus CD Soundtrack from Celebrity Deathmatch: Michael McLean vs. Janice Kapp Perry!!!!

My least favorite:

Lord Dismiss Us With Thy Blessing
Put Your Shoulder to the Wheel

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
When I was a kid, I absolutely loved, "Master, the Tempest is Raging." I have a feeling I'm not alone on that.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
jonny said:
I thought that it would be cool to share one of my favorite lines from the hymns. This one isn't really one of my favorites, but I love this line:

HYMN 134 "I Believe In Christ"
"I believe in Christ; so come what may, With him I'll stand in that great day."

Another line I love:

HYMN 131 "More Holiness Give Me"
"More fit for the kingdom, More used would I be, More blessed and holy - More, Savior like thee."
My favorite line is from "We Thank Thee, O God, for a Prophet": "The wicked who fight against Zion shall surely be smitten at last!" :tuna:

SoyLeche

meh...
Katzpur said:
When I was a kid, I absolutely loved, "Master, the Tempest is Raging." I have a feeling I'm not alone on that.
I really started liking that one on my mission. My Zone Leader couldn't stand it, and I couldn't stand him, so as District Leader I had my district sing it pretty much every every week at district meeting :fork:

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
SoyLeche said:
I really started liking that one on my mission. My Zone Leader couldn't stand it, and I couldn't stand him, so as District Leader I had my district sing it pretty much every every week at district meeting :fork:
Jeeze! That sounds like something I'd do.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Favs:
If You Could Hie To Kolob
Ye Elders of Israel
Come, Come Ye Saints
The Spirit of God

Not Favs:
Sisters in Zion
Love at Home
Home can be a heaven on earth

SoyLeche

meh...
I like "With Humble Heart" - 171. I like the progression of the lyrics, especially the transition from verse 2 to verse 3

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
beckysoup61 said:
Not Favs:
Home can be a heaven on earth

Oh, absolutely not a fave! "Parents teach and lead the way. Children honor and obey."

Yeah? Since when? :rolleyes:

SoyLeche

meh...
Katzpur said:
Jeeze! That sounds like something I'd do.
I also learned how to play the top hand of that song on the piano to add another layer of anoyance. It's still one of the few that I have any of the piano memorized for.

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
I've been to churches in Canada and I was at one where I heard a hymn that has stayed with me. I sincerely do not know what denomination it was, so I'm not sure if I should share it here. If you put a gun to my head, I'd guess Protestant but I'm just no sure.

Anyhow, all I remember of it is:

Make me a channel of your peace. It is in pardonning that we are pardonned. In giving to all men that we receive. And in dying that we're born to eternal life.

I really liked it. It has a beautiful musical style as well.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Djamila said:
I've been to churches in Canada and I was at one where I heard a hymn that has stayed with me. I sincerely do not know what denomination it was, so I'm not sure if I should share it here. If you put a gun to my head, I'd guess Protestant but I'm just no sure.

Anyhow, all I remember of it is:

Make me a channel of your peace. It is in pardonning that we are pardonned. In giving to all men that we receive. And in dying that we're born to eternal life.

I really liked it. It has a beautiful musical style as well.
These words are from a beautiful prayer by St. Francis of Assisi (so I guess that, technically, it's Roman Catholic).

Peace Prayer of St. Francis of Assisi
Lord make me
an instrument of your peace
Where there is hatred,
Let me sow love;
Where there is injury, pardon;
Where there is doubt, faith;
Where there is despair, hope;
Where there is darkness, light;
And where there is sadness, Joy.
O Divine Master grant that I may
Not so much seek to be consoled
As to console;
To be understood,
As to understand;
To be loved as to love.
For it is in giving that we receive,
It is in pardoning that we are pardoned.
And it is in dying that we are
Born to eternal life.
Amen.

SoyLeche

meh...
For some reason I'm reminded of another Mission story:

I was on splits with an elder from my district. He took me up to visit a family that they had found. He mentioned that she liked music, so we should sing a few hymns. I have absolutely no problem with that, so I agreed. I don't remember if it was "I believe in Christ" or "I know that My Redeemer Lives" - but I believe it was the latter. After we had sung it, she looked pretty content and said "Yep, that's the one." She went on to explain that she had once had a dream in which she heard a song, and ever since had been trying to find the church that sang the song. She said we had just sung it to her.

She didn't seem all that interested in coming to church though. Maybe she has now, but she worked on Sundays and wasn't willing to give it up. :shrug:

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
SoyLeche said:
For some reason I'm reminded of another Mission story:

I was on splits with an elder from my district. He took me up to visit a family that they had found. He mentioned that she liked music, so we should sing a few hymns. I have absolutely no problem with that, so I agreed. I don't remember if it was "I believe in Christ" or "I know that My Redeemer Lives" - but I believe it was the latter. After we had sung it, she looked pretty content and said "Yep, that's the one." She went on to explain that she had once had a dream in which she heard a song, and ever since had been trying to find the church that sang the song. She said we had just sung it to her.

She didn't seem all that interested in coming to church though. Maybe she has now, but she worked on Sundays and wasn't willing to give it up. :shrug:
Wow! Funny, huh, how she was looking for a specific church but it meant so little to her when this vision was fulfilled?