• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fatwa issued against Mars travel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Philomath

Sadhaka
The UAE is prohibiting their Muslims from participating in the Mars Mission.

A fatwa committee under the United Arab Emirates' General Authority of Islamic Affairs and Endowment has issued a proclamation against travel to Mars, shattering the dreams of hundreds of aspiring Emirati Muslim astronauts (not really).
“Such a one-way journey poses a real risk to life, and that can never be justified in Islam,” the committee said, according to Khaleej Times. “There is a possibility that an individual who travels to planet Mars may not be able to remain alive there, and is more vulnerable to death.”
Islam forbids suicide, and Islamic researcher Dr. Shaikh Mohammed Al Ashmaway cited scripture with regards to the ruling, saying, “Almighty Allah said in verse 2/195 in the Holy Quran: Do not throw yourselves with your own hands into destruction.”
The Mars One mission is currently soliciting applicants from the civilian population for a one-way trip to the Red Planet, and 1,058 finalists have already been chosen. The Dutch nonprofit organization hopes to establish the first human settlement on Mars, and they will continue evaluating candidates until the final 24 begin the 10 years of training necessary for the mission.
Sheikh Mohammad Yusuf, Imam of the Amena Mosque, told the Khaleej Times, "Man’s life is not his or her own property; it is God’s creation, and therefore suicide is prohibited in all religions, and of course by law.”
Mars Fatwa Issued By UAE Imams: General Authority Of Islamic Affairs Prohibits One-Way Travel To Red Planet

Last edited:

FunctionalAtheist

Hammer of Reason
The UAE is prohibiting their Muslims from participating in the Mars Mission.
... “Almighty Allah said in verse 2/195 in the Holy Quran: Do not throw yourselves with your own hands into destruction.”...

Mars Fatwa Issued By UAE Imams: General Authority Of Islamic Affairs Prohibits One-Way Travel To Red Planet
I don't mean to immediatly get off topic, but this verse just bolted through my brain. I wonder how suicide bombers expecting 70 virgins reconcile their faith with this. I wonder if UAE has issued a prohibition on this type of suicide which seems so much more close to home.

Enai de a lukal

Stupid. If they were consistent with this line of reasoning, Muslims could not engage in ANY activity that posed any serious threat of death. In other words, you could not join the military, or the police force, or be a firefighter, couldn't drive a car, couldn't go mountain climbing or any other extreme sport, and plenty more things (that Muslims in fact do) besides.

MattersOfTheHeart

Giving of one's life for a noble cause is OK to them, so it is just perspective. If making it to Mars is good for future Muslims, than they shouldn't have an issue with it. It is not like they want to go to Mars just to eat a shotgun.

Amechania

Daimona of the Helpless
What possible justification could there be to undertake such a costly, dangerous, and pointless mission. You would need at least 100 virgins just to make it interesting.

Assad91

Shi'ah Ali
I don't mean to immediatly get off topic, but this verse just bolted through my brain. I wonder how suicide bombers expecting 70 virgins reconcile their faith with this. I wonder if UAE has issued a prohibition on this type of suicide which seems so much more close to home.

Scholars from UAE to Pakistan have denounced suicide bombing.

freethinker44

Booooo. Now I'll never see my dream of sharia law being imposed on another planet, darn it. How will we ever build a proper society on Mars without radical extremists? :sarcastic

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Religious leaders from the gulf declared Mars to be Haram?
So basically what we are looking at is happy hours at Mars City, prime Martian grown bacon, and immodest futuristic local fashion? I believe the real estate value of Mars just sky rocketed!

Last edited:

freethinker44

Your generalization of a group consisting of over a billion of people as extremist is insulting to your intelligence.

Well you know what they say, better to be safe than sorry. This way I know I haven't accidentally given any extremist zealots more credit than they deserve.

Assad91

Shi'ah Ali
Well you know what they say, better to be safe than sorry. This way I know I haven't accidentally given any extremi.st zealots more credit than they deserve.

Nice logic. You must also think every black manis a criminal, every white guy is a stuck up racistand every Jew greedy. You know, soyou don't give too much credit to the actual black criminals, white racists and greedy Jew.

freethinker44

Nice logic. You must also think every black manis a criminal, every white guy is a stuck up racistand every Jew greedy. You know, soyou don't give too much credit to the actual black criminals, white racists and greedy Jew.

People don't choose their race.

Mycroft

Ministry of Serendipity
I think if these people understood the rotation and orbits of the planets, they'd find that you can, indeed, face Mecca to pray from Mars.

Scientific Illiteracy is a growing plague.

Status
Not open for further replies.