• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Father Knows Best Conservatism Trumps Conservative Policy

PureX

Veteran Member
If we live with an us vs them competitive attitude exclusively then those who win will find themselves surrounded by those who didn't. Everyone gets that individuals will be singled out their either luck, talent, effort or some combination of those three things for relative fame and prosperity...but that is no argument against the fact that we are all one people and we all have a duty to each other as well as to ourselves.

Besides in a democracy (or republic) we all have oversight over our government, so arguing that government is some uncontrollable entity even more so than a privately held business does not make sense.

Stubborn greed in the face of widespread economic hardship of the majority is a more likely cause of totalitarianism than is a government that mandates a measured level of equality through taxes. It is not about all or nothing, it is everything about balance.
Amen, Brother!

dianaiad

...which is the point...

What if we provided universal healthcare for children up to a certain age? Then those who donate their extra income to children's hospitals could focus that money on other concerns and all families could raise their children without the threat of economic ruin and the incentive for abortion would be greatly reduced.

Your grandson was the recipient of great health care from a private charity. THAT is the way to go.

I THINK...the way to go here is to have everybody in the country pay a premium for health care...it might go into a regional base, state, even federal. Perhaps it should be part of income tax; a part everybody pays. The patient can then choose among all the private insurance companies out there, all different, serving different needs. Some don't NEED insurance, being young and healthy and not seeing a doctor for years. Perhaps they, storing up their premiums, will just leave it....and take it out when needed, like when he breaks a leg.

Or he can find an insurance company that only provides catastrophic care...a young person gets cancer. Then it kicks in.

Or, someone can find a system like mine, a group that takes care of everything from colds to cancer, and you need to go see them a lot.

But all of them are private, all of them handle their patience according to the needs of the patient, and if the patient isn't happy, he can change providers.

And the government has NO say in what healthcare is provided to whom.

Private companies compete for the premiums and are accountable to their patients.

I like that idea

sealchan

Your grandson was the recipient of great health care from a private charity. THAT is the way to go.

I THINK...the way to go here is to have everybody in the country pay a premium for health care...it might go into a regional base, state, even federal. Perhaps it should be part of income tax; a part everybody pays. The patient can then choose among all the private insurance companies out there, all different, serving different needs. Some don't NEED insurance, being young and healthy and not seeing a doctor for years. Perhaps they, storing up their premiums, will just leave it....and take it out when needed, like when he breaks a leg.

Or he can find an insurance company that only provides catastrophic care...a young person gets cancer. Then it kicks in.

Or, someone can find a system like mine, a group that takes care of everything from colds to cancer, and you need to go see them a lot.

But all of them are private, all of them handle their patience according to the needs of the patient, and if the patient isn't happy, he can change providers.

And the government has NO say in what healthcare is provided to whom.

Private companies compete for the premiums and are accountable to their patients.

I like that idea

Sounds good. But how would that address pre-existing conditions and how would it not isolate and penalize people at higher medical risk through no fault of their own?

In my grandsons case how would we have known that we needed the sort of coverage that would have made his life possible before the diagnosis. We literally had a moment where we got to choose whether he was going to stand a chance at whether he was going to be born or not.

dianaiad

Sounds good. But how would that address pre-existing conditions and how would it not isolate and penalize people at higher medical risk through no fault of their own?

In my grandsons case how would we have known that we needed the sort of coverage that would have made his life possible before the diagnosis. We literally had a moment where we got to choose whether he was going to stand a chance at whether he was going to be born or not.

That 'pre-existing condition' thing is a problem. People are arguing about that one all the time.

....and nobody knows that they are at high risk...until they are at high risk. It's a gamble, but then insurance of any sort is a gamble, by definition. YOU are gambling that you will get sick, the insurance companies are gambling that you don't. That most don't is why insurance companies are in business at all. Private insurance, and the ability to choose between them and get only the coverage you need, is still the best option, though, I think.

sealchan

That 'pre-existing condition' thing is a problem. People are arguing about that one all the time.

....and nobody knows that they are at high risk...until they are at high risk. It's a gamble, but then insurance of any sort is a gamble, by definition. YOU are gambling that you will get sick, the insurance companies are gambling that you don't. That most don't is why insurance companies are in business at all. Private insurance, and the ability to choose between them and get only the coverage you need, is still the best option, though, I think.

And, of course, the rich are the ones who can afford the most to gamble...or not. So if you are rich your premiums will be lower because the individual can survive the economic hardship and the incentive to buy insurance for the buyer is lower. Heaven forbid that you don't make that much money...I think we need to work cooperatively to ensure everyone has affordable access to health care.