• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fat people

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Once you see the hefty mark-up for healthy foods, I'm not surprised convenience foods are the preferred choice.

Depends where you shop. We eat mostly bio, always fresh farm produced, often harvested the morning we buy.... I can feed 5 for the price of a single McDonald's Burger, fries and coke.

And of course, the fast food joints would not exist if there were not a unhealthy mark-up.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Depends where you shop. We eat mostly bio, always fresh farm produced, often harvested the morning we buy.... I can feed 5 for the price of a single McDonald's Burger, fries and coke.

And of course, the fast food joints would not exist if there were not a unhealthy mark-up.
It's why I like farmer markets or farmer roadside stands. No middle man. :0)

Vee

Premium Member
My diet consists of tomatoes, potatoes, apples, milk, peanut butter, bread, and sardines. I eat it consistently, and buy my food from a Somali store in walking distance. Does that sound healthy to you? Anyway, I've never had obesity problems. It would do me well to put on a few pounds actually.

You seem to have a good metabolism but even if you don't put on weight, a bad diet is always dangerous.
Eat real, unprocessed foods and avoid sugary drinks. Vegetables are a must if you don't want to have problems later in life.
All the things you listed are real foods but try adding a little variety.
Take care, after all, you only have one body.

Vee

Premium Member
In the US at least, you've got to be very careful about what you buy because so many products have high fructose corn syrup and other fattening things in them. It can be hard to find, say, a ketchup that isn't laced with the stuff. Best to stick to unprocessed foods whenever possible.

I've noticed. My last trip over there I was on the road with a friend without access to a kitchen and we spent a fortune eating out because the choices were fast food or expensive food. We had trouble finding places that would serve good quality, affordable meals.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
You ever stop and think how many peoples nose hairs fall into the buffet?:eek: The sneeze guards are useless to short people. Now I'm never eating at another buffet.

Really, those smears on the glass are probably not fingerprints. Says the 5' 6" guy. :D

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I had a very close friend who had that issue, and no matter how much he watched and restricted what he ate, he still was obese.

I can relate to that. I have a very slow metabolism: I can gain weight (fat and muscle) easily, but I lose both slowly. Unless I am strict with my dietary habits and choices, and exercise, I will get fat. I'm 5' 6" and about 210-212. I was as high as 230. I don't eat junk food, drink sodas or alcohol (a beer once in a blue moon), fast food. The only thing that works is the control of Weight Watchers. I've fallen off the plan over the past month or so and have begun putting back some of the weight I lost over the past couple of months.

ChristineM

Premium Member
It's why I like farmer markets or farmer roadside stands. No middle man. :0)

Works for me too. In France even the most lowly village will have a weekly market, often with local grown, raised or produced foods.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I've only been to two other countries, Canada, and Portugal, and the people aren't nearly as fat as Americans.

Everywhere I go, I see fat people with their walkers or in their electronic devices which wheel them around. Our culture has become good at accommodating people who centuries ago would not have survived. I should talk, earlier in our history I would have been lobotomized.

Being fat can actually add to your character though. I venerate Chris Farley as a Saint who I pay homage to, but him and John Candy would not have been such good comedians, had they not been obese. Sumo wrestling would not be as entertaining, if the wrestlers were thin.

I've done volunteer work at missions and some of these people I was feeding were so obese, I knew I wasn't doing them or God a favor by handing them out free junk food, and enabling their addiction. The lady that ran the mission was obese along with many of the missionaries.

I guess being fat can be practical. If Donald Trump turns this into a fascist country, people like me won't last long on a concentration camp diet. Obese people will have much carbohydrates stored when the body turns away from the digestive system to eat itself. It can also release an anti-aging hormone and cause euphoria when the body turns away from the digestive system to it's own carbohydrate stores for energy.

But if you are morbidly obese and poor, and you like to find clothing and underwear that fits at a thrift store, you might leave disappointed a lot.

ChristineM

Premium Member
I would say don't ask, but it's too late. :D

It would make a cockroach puke. :eek:

Nice. I only asked because today i had tuna and strawberries. Not at the same time of course, tuna salad followed by strawberries with a sprinkle of black pepper.

And yes, unlike tuna and strawberry shake, strawberries with black pepper does work.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I've only been to two other countries, Canada, and Portugal, and the people aren't nearly as fat as Americans.

Keep in mind that these are relative numbers, not absolute. The population of the US is far greater than that of Portugal and Canada together.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Another thing to keep in mind is that food - good, quality, fresh food - is expensive in many parts of the country. Obesity is closely tied to poverty. When you're poor, you can't really afford good food and food stamps aren't enough. People are having to work more to make ends meet, many times having multiple jobs and so they may not have the time or energy to make meals from scratch or exercise. It's very difficult.