• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fat aceptance

Callisto

Hellenismos, BTW
This makes the claim without providing examples of what people saying amounts to child abuse. I imagine that there are good examples of parents who influence their kids diet and exercise through emotionally and physically abuse means.

I do agree that people should feel free to lose weight, though I am not sure if people complaining about celebrities losing weight online constitutes a movement requiring someone with Bill Mahar's influence to advocate for fat shaming.

I sort of see the point of some folks, though. Celebrities who don't fit the stereotype of the uber-thin model provide representation for realistic body shapes, and when one decides to lose weight I imagine it can feel like betrayal.

That doesn't mean people shouldn't feel free to di what is right for their own health and aesthetic desires, but also, that's one of the prices for being a celebrity.

You can go through social media and find various activists making claims that telling children what they can eat is abuse. I pointed the way, you're free to research as deeply as you'd like. It takes very little effort to peruse these fat activist postings and find everything from scientific denials to outright delusion.

Maher did not advocate fat shaming, he stated the issue is glorifying obesity, which is what fat activism does. There's a difference in accepting who you are and being comfortable in your own skin versus making excuses, denial and equating body aspects that are changeable to those that are not to put one's self on par with genuinely oppressed groups.

It makes no sense to feel betrayed by a celebrity or anyone losing weight. They're not living their lives for you (general 'you') and are not obligated to stay fat just because someone else might be. They're real people subject to the same body image and health risks as anyone else. Someone feeling betrayed because of someone else's choices regarding their own body should seek therapy. They don't just complain, they shame and harass these celebrities or anyone who chooses to change, really. For a group that's supposedly about "body positivity" they're often quite the opposite.