• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

fasting?

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
I have a question regarding fasting. I know hindus fast, im curious on the reasons for fasting among hindus' and if it is the same reason for everyone...or are there different types of fasts for different reasons?

Thanks in advance. :)

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I have a question regarding fasting. I know hindus fast, im curious on the reasons for fasting among hindus' and if it is the same reason for everyone...or are there different types of fasts for different reasons?

Tons of different reasons, tons of definitions, variations. You will get many opinions as this (Hinduism) is a vast set of beliefs.
Variations:
- nothing at all
- water only
- tea, with honey or sugar only
- fruit juices
- fruit
- just giving up meat, some people call it a fast

Some Reasons
- health, cleansing or just giving the digestive system a break
- discipline of mind, developing will power
- penance (two variations ... one is to atone, another is to clear the way, sort of like pre-atoning)
- just as a custom, not knowing the reason
- as a return to Mother Earth, by not taking fro awhile
- in case of terminal illness, especially for the saintly, fasting is allowed for death

Duration can be just for one meal, like until noon, of for a day, or 3 days, or 6 days, or 2 weeks ... anything longer than that might be extreme, especially if it is a total (water only) fast. Many Hindus fast once a week or once a month according to the Hindu calendar, or once a year at a particular festival time... still many will never fast at all. There is no set requirement like in Islam for example, and the Fast of Ramadan
... hope this helps

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
For spiritual and physical discipline, purification of the mind and body. Let's put it this way, Weight Watchers has nothing on Hinduism's fasts for losing weight. :D Yes, there are different fasts for different deities for different occasions. The ideal fast does not even include water, but one fasts to the best of one's ability. There are days of the week that are devoted to fasting for a particular deity. My sampradaya (sect) has 2-3 fasts per lunar month. They are to honor Vishnu. Grains and legumes are not permitted on that fast, but fruit, dairy and vegs are (the reasons are in the stories of this fast). Just don't be a glutton. There are fasts for the births of deities (Janmashtami for Krishna; Ramnavami for Rama; Radhashtami for Radha) and other celebrations. This past Sunday-Monday there was a fast in honor of Lord Shiva's special night. Fasts usually last from sunrise to sunrise (some are shorter), which is the Hindu day, not midnight to midnight as in the west.

Wannabe Yogi

Duration can be just for one meal, like until noon, of for a day, or 3 days, or 6 days, or 2 weeks ... anything longer than that might be extreme, especially if it is a total (water only) fast. Many Hindus fast once a week or once a month according to the Hindu calendar, or once a year at a particular festival time... still many will never fast at all. There is no set requirement like in Islam for example, and the Fast of Ramadan
... hope this helps

I know a Swami who took a 20 day fast only fruit juice once a day. Broke the fast with food and serrano peppers.

ratikala

Istha gosthi

dear pegg ,

as others have said there are many variations with each tradition ,

in my tradition there are prehaps some similarities to lent , with an empasis on the giving up of indulgences and living simply , which is concidered an austerity , we observe regular one day partial fasts twice a month , and in addition there are many occasions throughout the year to engage in longer fasts ,
the purpose could be said to be in honnor of a particular occasion in which case the fast is followed by feasting .
but I feel the deeper reasoning to be an austerity performed in order to remind our selves of our position in relation to god , as on all fasting days it is recomended that we take extra time to think of god , to absorb our selves in thought of god , devote extra activities to god , often attending temple hearing and discussing teachings , making offerings and singing praise .

do you ask because this is the period of lent , if so prehaps you could say a little about your observances and how you feel about fasting .

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
dear pegg ,

as others have said there are many variations with each tradition ,

in my tradition there are prehaps some similarities to lent , with an empasis on the giving up of indulgences and living simply , which is concidered an austerity , we observe regular one day partial fasts twice a month , and in addition there are many occasions throughout the year to engage in longer fasts ,
the purpose could be said to be in honnor of a particular occasion in which case the fast is followed by feasting .
but I feel the deeper reasoning to be an austerity performed in order to remind our selves of our position in relation to god , as on all fasting days it is recomended that we take extra time to think of god , to absorb our selves in thought of god , devote extra activities to god , often attending temple hearing and discussing teachings , making offerings and singing praise .

do you ask because this is the period of lent , if so prehaps you could say a little about your observances and how you feel about fasting .

Hi, I was curious as to how similar fasting in hinduism was to the fasting practiced by the Isrealites (jews) Im not sure if jews still fast these days, but i came across a very interesting passage of scripture by the prophet Isaiah where God informs the Isrealites about the only acceptable fast he would accept. As a christian i've never fasted...& we (JW's) dont observe lent. Our fast is more a spiritual one similar to what you've mentioned about taking time to think of our God and do his will on a daily basis as opposed to set times during the year.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
When I was Eastern Orthodox Christian, my parish priest used to say "God does not need the fast, man does". I think that is true.

Student of X

Paradigm Shifter
My spirit walk required a 24 hour fast. The reason was because of the effect that peyote has on the stomach. Given the ancient and widespread use of entheogens, the origin of fasting could have something to do with preparing the body for ingestion ceremonies.