• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fast Food things of the Past

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
What do you remember that no longer exists?

McDonalds: Almost all sandwiches came in a styrofoam box.

Wendy's: Superbar! Yes, Wendy's actually had a buffet.

McDonald's: Gift certificates. Not a card, actual paper. They were sold in books of $5 and each one was worth 50¢. If things were tight you could put one in ten different Christmas stickings.

Burger King: 99¢ Whopper sales were very common. Also, saying "The Whopper beat the Big Mac" would get you a 99¢ Whopper for a while.

White Castle: Fries used to come in only one size.

Taco Bell: For a while sold bottled soda. This was great if you hit the drive thru in a vehicle without a cupholder.

Subway: The "V" cut in the bread instead of slicing it like normal people.

Subway: White or Wheat? There was not much choice.

Everywhere except Arby's: Ketchup and other condiments were given in packets for dine in orders instead of having the pump and little paper cups.

Arby's: Used to put out bottles of their sauces that you could bring back to the table, instead of the pump and little paper cups.

Everywhere: A huge stack of disposable ashtrays sat on top of the trashcan so that you could grab one and bring it to your table to smoke. Yes, you could smoke in any fast food restaurant back then.

What did I miss?

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
I've always enjoyed McDonald's evolving jingles. I'm still partial to the first I recall: "Have you had your break today?"

Mr Cheese

What did I miss?

an enema?
a colonoscopy?

350px-Vomiting_for_Dummies.png

Wandered Off

Sporadic Driveby Member
1980 - Jack in the Box blew up the clown in a commercial which received lots of complaints from parents who claimed their children had been traumatized. It would be many years before the clown mascot returned.

[youtube]BRqJjzLWA6Y[/youtube]
YouTube - Jack In The Box 1980

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
What do you remember that no longer exists?

McDonalds: Almost all sandwiches came in a styrofoam box.
Yes. I even remember the McDLT, which came in a double-wide styrofoam box ("keeps the hot side hot and the cold side cold!"... until you inevitably spill the lettuce all over your lap trying to flip the one half onto the other like in the commercials :))

When I was a kid, after everyone was done eating, the thing I'd like to do would be to take all the styrofoam clamshells and straws from the rest of my family, punch a straw through the front of each box and play "tank".

Wendy's: Superbar! Yes, Wendy's actually had a buffet.
I remember when they first came out with the Superbar.

McDonald's: Gift certificates. Not a card, actual paper. They were sold in books of $5 and each one was worth 50¢. If things were tight you could put one in ten different Christmas stickings.
Yup. There were always a few people in my neighbourhood who would give them out for Hallowe'en, too.

Burger King: 99¢ Whopper sales were very common. Also, saying "The Whopper beat the Big Mac" would get you a 99¢ Whopper for a while.
My family didn't go to Burger King that often, and when we did, the Whopper was too big for me.

White Castle: Fries used to come in only one size.

Taco Bell: For a while sold bottled soda. This was great if you hit the drive thru in a vehicle without a cupholder.
We don't have White Castle here, and I don't think Taco Bell had arrived in Canada when they still did that.

Subway: The "V" cut in the bread instead of slicing it like normal people.
Don't they still do that? Shows how long it's been since I went to Subway. :D

Subway: White or Wheat? There was not much choice.
What? Back then, two styles of bread was choice. The other chains tended to just have white.

Everywhere except Arby's: Ketchup and other condiments were given in packets for dine in orders instead of having the pump and little paper cups.

Arby's: Used to put out bottles of their sauces that you could bring back to the table, instead of the pump and little paper cups.
Yes... I remember the bottles. I also remember that you could buy jars of Arby's Sauce and Horsey Sauce to take home.

I also remember when Kentucky Fried Chicken (and if you wanted a shorter name, you just called it "the Colonel's"... none of this "KFC" nonsense) included a slice of bread (but weird, small, thick bread) with their chicken combos.

Everywhere: A huge stack of disposable ashtrays sat on top of the trashcan so that you could grab one and bring it to your table to smoke. Yes, you could smoke in any fast food restaurant back then.
Heh... in the office I used to work in, the outdoor smoking area was next to one of the stairwells, so smoke would blow in and kinda cling to everything. Every time I went through that stairwell, I'd think "hmm - smells like the '80s." :D

What did I miss?
I think you could go on all day if you felt like it, but that's a good list.

Walkntune

I remember when Mcdonalds used to give you ketchup without asking and they used to put salt on the fries.:drool:

Smoke

Done here.
Maybe we did, but I don't remember ever going to McDonald's before I was in high school. When my parents wanted to treat us, we went to Burger Chef. That was back in the days even before the smiley face logo, and that's where I learned to love square fish. Burger Chef, alas, is no more.

burgerchef.jpg

I don't know if it counts as fast food, but we also loved going to Shakey's Pizza, where they had a player piano and showed silent movies.

I remember being nearly traumatised as a child because my parents wouldn't let us go to McDonalds. We did go to Mandy's though when my sister had her communion.

They had free glasses with cartoon characters on them if you bought pepsi, and we weren't allowed have pepsi, so we didn't get them,and were really gutted, my dad over the course of the week bought one glass back after work, for each of us (I don't know if he bought, begged, borrowed or stole them :D )

1.jpg

Pretty cool, pity they didn't last very long.