• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fashion in Bosnia and Herzegovina: What do you think?

Draka

Wonder Woman
Djamila said:
I really don't know? It's common across all religions here. Once a woman is widowed it's even worse. Orthodox Christian women were black dresses and veils and cover their hair at all times once their husbands pass away. Other faiths don't really have a dress code, but it's rare to see a widowed woman without some kind of veil and extremely bland, colorless clothing.

But in terms of having children, I don't know. Off the top of my head, the only thing I can think is that is career. Women here who work outside the home seem to stay fashionable and fit. Women who quit and stay at home, or who've never worked a day in their lives to begin with, seem not to.

Don't mothers go back to work after having babies? What about models who become mothers?

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
Djamila said:
I suppose, but I still find it different. Like... over one-shoulder shirts. They're very common here, I've never seen one in North America. Wide belts, the kind that cover most of your tummy, are also common here - I've seen smaller ones on the hips in North America, but never the huge ones around the navel.
Depends on where you go. I have seen all of those things.

Accessories were very different. I never saw one North American with the huge necklaces like above, and it's also different... what do you call it? Standards? Meaning... basics? Gold hoop earrings are so common here, every second girl most days, but I rarely saw them in North America. Bags are very different. Most of the bags I saw in North America were average, it's just not something women there seem to care much about (kind of like bracelets in Bosnia - you'll rarely see anyone with anything fancy, just gold hoops or some cuff, because it's not a thing Bosnians associate with style - raincoats would be an example in both cultures. There's not a whole lot of effort put into those, if you have to wear them it's accepted they're not stylish).
I see plenty of women and young girls with huge hoop earrings - we say they're more convienent for holding thier ankles.
Bags....well, I'm not sure where you get the impression that this is unimportant for American women. In the places where people are concered with fashion, the brand, size and style of your bag is very important. Where I grew up a girl with a Louis Vuitton bag is "better" than one with a Coach. Girls in junior high carry $400 LV bags just because it makes them look rich, or to show off the fact that they are. And, in some places this sort of peacocking might be totally meaningless.

It depends on where you go, and who you talk to. Not to mention that you probably see a huge difference because you haven't lived in the US for any length of time, so the fashion you have seen isn't as diverse as someone who has.

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
Draka said:
Don't mothers go back to work after having babies? What about models who become mothers?

Hahaha, they fall away to abscurity. I don't find most women go back to work, really. I mean, there's lots of exceptions - at least 45%... but certainly I can say most women stay home for good after kids.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Djamila said:
Hahaha, they fall away to abscurity. I don't find most women go back to work, really. I mean, there's lots of exceptions - at least 45%... but certainly I can say most women stay home for good after kids.

Wow, that's quite a difference to here. Here, most women go back to work. In fact, it's rare to find many women who stay home with the children now. And if you do...people seem to look at you differently.

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
Okay, I checked MySpace for people from Montreal, Quebec - since that was brought up as a place where women dress more similar to the pictures of Bosnia I posted.

I found a few different women who really did dress similar in the... attitude kind of way. One of them I messaged and just asked how was she doing, and you're going to laugh:

She wrote back in Bosnian! LOL "Hej, slatka mala! Dobre, hvala, kako si!?" (Hey, little darling! Good, thanks, how's you?)

Hahaha, so that was pointless. But yes, the profiles of Quebec women I browsed... I wouldn't find them out of place if they came here.

4cufqti.jpg

Big sunglasses, turquoise jewelry, big chain - all basics here. :D

4hb7dp0.jpg

And this is where I should've known she was Bosnian - no Christian woman in this day and age would do this to the beach, you'd have to be a Bosnian Muslim and I should've known better - LOL

2uxw7z5.jpg

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
It's getting cold in Sarajevo!

2nrdbgx.jpg

34hgp6r.jpg

4ie97yq.jpg

Ugly artists and intellectuals giving away DOSTA! (ENOUGH!) merchandise to protest the Bosnian government.
2ceog44.jpg

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
He's prettier than she is...
34zlff6.jpg

Singing "Serbia, Serbia, Serbia is on fire. We don't need no water, let the mother******* burn. Burn, mother*******, burn!" by Edo Maajka.
2jcaf50.jpg

Pretty artists and intellectuals supporting DOSTA!
2powsyf.jpg

Goran going as far as Dzemal would let him on a dare - lol Tell you the truth, I think they're both gay.
11162244946.jpg

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
AMERICAN NIGHT!

The real FBI better keep an eye on this one, she could be a communist double-agent...
44s6j6h.jpg

Vroom, vroom...
2vcudt3.jpg

Sure proof he's got a nice car or a big wang...
2ln8r2a.jpg

Sure sign they're not looking for a big wang...
40ahzdt.jpg