• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fashion in Bosnia and Herzegovina: What do you think?

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
I've talked about fashion in Iran in the main forum, and Islamodna in the Eros subforum, but I've not really gotten your opinions about average, everyday Bosnian fashion.

I don't believe we have the classicly beautiful looks of Iran, nor the urban chique of Italy, but we're doing well enough.

Bosnian fashion is characterized, in my opinion, by femininity. Bosnian women dress like women, to phrase it simply. Styles are generally a little more complex than in Western Europe. A normal t-shirt is rarely good enough, it has to have some elaborate style of some unusual pattern.

Generally not a great deal is revealed compared to Western European countries, but Bosnia and Herzegovina is certainly one of the only Islamic countries where you'll witness quite so much skin.

Here are some random photos of girls on the streets of Sarajevo, Zenica, Tuzla, and Mostar - Bosnia and Herzegovina's largest Muslim-majority cities.

1qr7.jpg

2ff4.jpg

3oj0.jpg

4xo2.jpg

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
5oc9.jpg

6ja5.jpg

7lf3.jpg

8ah8.jpg

I wish I had something better for the critique - hahaha. But I suppose random is better anyway.

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
Gentoo said:
I'd have to agree with nutshell, doesn't seem out of the ordinary to me.

Really? I've been to Canada, not the United States, and I found it completely different. Everything looked so masculine - even if it is technically the same thing, jeans and shirts, or skirts and shirts. The shirts were far more simple, and pants were much more common that dresses.

I found fashion in Canada to be similar to the United Kingdom. More strict, more... straight lines, that sort of thing.

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
Like this one:

7lf3.jpg

If not for the shoes and the red necklace, I'd guess these women were North American - especially the woman on the right. It's just so plain, so... put together? It doesn't seem random or careless at all.

nutshell

the sunglasses and scarves picture reminded me of Breakfast at Tiffany's. Perhaps Audrey Hepburn was Muslim?!

I think it's interesting how the scarves have become fashion items among Muslim women in some countries, but I worry that they'll end up being indicators of socioeconomic status. What do you think, DJ?

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
Socioeconomic status? I don't really see how. Generally the poorer the girl, the better dressed they are in Bosnia. It's a strange aspect of the culture in poorer countries, I suppose. A girl who's butler opens the door of her mansion in Ilidza before steps outside will probably be wearing a pair of Levi's and a fancy shirt. A girl who crawls out of some shack built into the side of a hill in Hadzici is wearing a designer heels and a fancy dress for sure.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Djamila said:
Really? I've been to Canada, not the United States, and I found it completely different. Everything looked so masculine - even if it is technically the same thing, jeans and shirts, or skirts and shirts. The shirts were far more simple, and pants were much more common that dresses.

I found fashion in Canada to be similar to the United Kingdom. More strict, more... straight lines, that sort of thing.

I'm with Nutshell on this one.

If you had showed those pix with no commentary, I would've assumed they were college students near me, or maybe some of the older girls at my kids' high school.

How long ago were you in Canada? I don't know about there, but lines have changed quite a bit here, especially in the last couple of years.

This year, bare midriffs are out. Really really plunging necklines are in, though typically worn with a camisole underneath or some other layering.*

That ballet sweater in one pic is nearly identical with one I bought my daughter yesterday.

*The new low neckline with "layering" leaves me cold. I live in Georgia for heaven's sake. Most times of the year, I do NOT need any extra layers of anything!

Hm...no pun intended.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Djamila said:
Socioeconomic status? I don't really see how. Generally the poorer the girl, the better dressed they are in Bosnia. It's a strange aspect of the culture in poorer countries, I suppose. A girl who's butler opens the door of her mansion in Ilidza before steps outside will probably be wearing a pair of Levi's and a fancy shirt. A girl who crawls out of some shack built into the side of a hill in Hadzici is wearing a designer heels and a fancy dress for sure.

You can find something like that here as well. My "old money" friends go around in torn jeans and tshirts -- with a Rolex watch.

The "noveau riche" otoh, often seem like they need to show it off, I guess.

Incidentally, one of the best dressed places you could possibly go in this country is an African-American church.

I couldn't compete with those women when it comes to style if my life depended on it.

Odds are, you haven't been exposed to that culture at all. I've gone to a number of weddings and funerals. I take out everything I've got (and I have a very nice collection of jewelry, some of it quite unique and artistic), and I'm still terribly underdressed.

And the hats -- I have some good ones, but *nothing* like what they wear. Whew!

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
I think I know what you mean. The upper classes here, you can instantly recognize if the men and women are my age or older.

Laila

I know this is off the topic but the fashion in India is very feminine. I have an Indian friend who has some gorgeous dresses!

Yerda

Veteran Member
Buttons* said:
if you go to any college campus, you'll see the exact same fashion ... i'd know O_O
Same here. I'm surrounded by trendy people who dress like that....I hate students. :cover:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Zounds! I've got to spend more time girl watching! I'm completely at a loss to recall what the fashions here in Colorado are today.

Ciscokid

Sunstone said:
Zounds! I've got to spend more time girl watching! I'm completely at a loss to recall what the fashions here in Colorado are today.

I would think cowboy stuff mixed with something from LL Bean?

Dress is quite boring where I live [Pa]. My daughter is hooked on Ambercrombie.

I like my Diesel or Tommy jeans and an untucked button shirt from Perry Ellis or Claiborne.

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
I'll add this one from Ramadan in Tuzla. It's not exceptional fashion, but it demonstrates what I meant about skirts and high heels being dominant. Tuzla is more what we would call provincial, meaning... hmmm... rural-esque.

korzo270706nn5.jpg

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
A few night-time shots from downtown, mainly Quadro but there's a couple from Adisa in Novo Sarajevo.

449w7jp.jpg

2m2esg5.jpg

47skpy1.jpg

2nbxf5s.jpg