• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fascination With the Occult

Ernestine

Who else has noticed the extremely large number of television shows or movies that have something to do with the occult, magic, fortune telling, spiritism or otherwise?

Dark_Waltz

Well I watch afterlife, It's good :D
I would like to see more about it though I am not keen on charmed it puts us in a bad light really

Ormiston

Ernestine said:
Who else has noticed the extremely large number of television shows or movies that have something to do with the occult, magic, fortune telling, spiritism or otherwise?
I have. I think it shows progress away from the Christian status quo, and that, in my mind is healthy.

Zephyr

Moved on
Ernestine said:
I have noticed. Hopefully the next step will be the Metalfication of our culture ;) .

Really though, is this supposed to be a problem or something.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It illustrates our ignorance of science and fascination with magical thinking.

Dark_Waltz

I don't see it as a negative thing at all I don't really understand why people think it so dangerous if things are done properly

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Ernestine said:
In England, we often have documentaries, where, more often that not, the purpose of the programme is to show that whatever is being demonstrated cannot be proved in front of a panel of scientists.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
michel said:
In England, we often have documentaries, where, more often that not, the purpose of the programme is to show that whatever is being demonstrated cannot be proved in front of a panel of scientists.
In America, we often have "documentaries", where, more often than not, the purpose of the program is to show that the panel of scientists doesn't know what it's talking about, and instead show that the uneducated prejudices of the viewer are plausible and even true. Advertising is to blame. The programs must pander to the prejudices of the majority of viewers in order to have a big enough audience share to attract advertisers. But whatever the cause, the effect is that you get some fairly uncritical documentaries purporting to prove such things as that Atlantis was real.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Seyorni said:
Can someone interested in magical thinking not also have knowledge of science? ;)

I think a lot of the popularity of "occult" shows stems from the popularity of "Lost". Writers try to emulate things that appear to be popular, but (unfortunately) don't seem to realize that a show usually has to have interesting characters in order to make people wish to keep watching it.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
FeathersinHair said:
Can someone interested in magical thinking not also have knowledge of science? ;)

I think a lot of the popularity of "occult" shows stems from the popularity of "Lost". Writers try to emulate things that appear to be popular, but (unfortunately) don't seem to realize that a show usually has to have interesting characters in order to make people wish to keep watching it.
Good point Feathers. What is 'magic' is usually nothing but something which is just beyound the scientific way of understanding things.

You might be interested in
http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23498
Religious Education / The Living World / The Material World / Science and Technology
Aren't we humans so clever ?.........

For a practical example of exactly the point I am making.;)

Fluffy

A fool
They are all jumping on the Buffy bandwagon. There was a noticeable vacuum of entertainment left in the wake of that show after it ended *cries* and the logical thought was to fill it with more of the same. Didn't really work for the most part though.

may

Ernestine said:
yes i have noticed this , still the bible says that the whole world is in the power of the wicked one (satan the devil)1 John 5;19 and his aim is to get people interested in things that God does not approve of . cartoons for children are full of the accult no doubt satan is thinking start them young and they will grow up accepting it as normal

Fluffy

A fool
yes i have noticed this , still the bible says that the whole world is in the power of the wicked one (satan the devil)1 John 5;19 and his aim is to get people interested in things that God does not approve of . cartoons for children are full of the accult no doubt satan is thinking start them young and they will grow up accepting it as normal
Well I've always said that God is a bit closeminded in some areas. The devil is like a parent giving their children pocket money ("Here's a fiver but don't tell your mum or I'll be up **** creek without a paddle") after their partner aka God just threw a tantrum over something petty ("Jesus Christ! Are those kids practicing magick again!!!"). God needs to stop competing for his children's affections, go and get some marriage councelling and then everything will be right and dandy.

Ormiston

may said:
Actually, I was thinking just how bad all of those Christian shows were for our occult children. Don't you see how rude this line of thinking is?

Darkdale

World Leader Pretend
Seyorni said:

Yeah... ummm. I'm sure you are right. :rolleyes: I'm sure it you can't have a fascination with magic & knowledge of science. That must just be impossible.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Darkdale said:
Yeah... ummm. I'm sure you are right. :rolleyes: I'm sure it you can't have a fascination with magic & knowledge of science. That must just be impossible.
I don't mean to say any such thing, my friend. Sir Isaac Newton was a famous dabbler in alchemy, for example.