• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fascinating!

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I was always more partial to chemistry tricks. They even have fire!!

This just happens for no apparent reason....right?
What? No, it's due to gravity. It's a demonstration of how different lengths of a rope affect the movement of the pendulum. Shorter strings produce faster movement, longer stings produce a slower movement. Put them together and you get this.
We did something similar back in early High School Physics class to demonstrate to us gravity, energy produced and if I recall correctly, Newtonian Laws, as my teacher called it. It's pretty cool.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You'd think a science expert like Deeje would understand even the basics, but hen again....
She toys with us.
We're an ant farm in the sun, & she's the kid with the magnifying glass.
Or we're rats running thru her devious maze loaded with treats & traps.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member

Cooky

Veteran Member
Why does everything in space spin and rotate? Can there not be a single stationary object anywhere in space?

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Why does everything in space spin and rotate? Can there not be a single stationary object anywhere in space?

Well, rotation is one of the possibilities, no matter what. A lack of any rotation is unstable: even a little nudge will produce some rotation. And, because of conservation of angular momentum, any rotation will continue until some force (actually, torque) stops it.

What we do see is a wide variety of rotation rates and axes of rotation.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I should get one of those.
A simple piece of string can entertain me for hours.

Cat owners will know the entertainment value of a single piece of string. A cat will play for hours with one end of a length of string and when the friendly feline gets fed up simply turn the sting over and you have a whole new toy good for hours more fun.

tas8831

No - it happens because the pendulums (strings) are different lengths.

Duh.

What - you were thinking it was due to Jehovah magic or something?

LOL!!!
Weird that deeje abandoned this most excellent thread she started.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I saw that video as well.

They hid the fact that the strings are different lengths. It should have been obvious to me by their behavior but it's easy to be fooled, sometimes.
I saw the different lengths right away.
With an IQ of almost 70, I'm a keen observer.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Why would you think anyone would claim it happens for no reason? There are very precise, mathematical reasons underpinning this phenomenon.

But it does show how structure naturally forms even in very simple systems without intelligent intervention.

Order never happens without intelligent direction according to my observations. Who created the laws governing what you call " natural" ? What is "natural" exactly? What happened to the law of cause and effect? You can ignore it when it suits?

cladking

I saw the different lengths right away.
With an IQ of almost 70, I'm a keen observer.

Hey, I'm at least that smart. My friends all agree I'm smarter than the average picinic basket.

I'm rarely fooled and shouldn't have been with this one. But I saw a version that claimed it wasn't known why this happens and anyone can be thrown by a lie or by intent.