• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Famous Mormons

FFH

Veteran Member
Engineers and Inventors

john-moses-browning.jpg

John Moses Browning
(1855-1926)
gunsmith

The most famous firearms designer the world has ever known with the greatest firearms inventory in history. With 128 firearm patents, John M. Browning’s inventions have marked every armed conflict from World War I through Desert Storm.

philo-farnsworth-2.jpg

Philo T. Farnsworth
(1906-1971)
inventor (television)

He developed and invented electronic television. He lived in Idaho, and the first image he transmitted was an image of his wife.

almon-clegg.jpg

Almon H. Clegg
electronics engineer

He is a pioneer in the revolution of digital audio, was instrumental in development of digital recording and the digital audio disc which led to the compact disc revolution. He is a fellow member of the Audio Engineering Society; a life member of the Institute of Electronic and Electrical Engineers (IEEE) and author of many technical papers on audio and acoustics. He was chairman of the International Electro-technical Commission (IEC) responsible for setting standards in audio, video and multimedia systems for world standardization; engineering and management executive for Matsu****a Electric Industries (Panasonic, Quasar, Technics, etc.); and recording engineer for Denon recordings of classical music.

Robert B. Ingebretsen
(1949-2003)
inventor (compact discs)

In 1999, he received an Academy Award for his pioneering work in digital sound. Ingebretsen and his mentor, Thomas Stockham, invented technology that translated analog sound into a digital format -- a discovery that eventually led to the development of compact discs.

lester-wire.jpg

Photo: UDOT
Lester Wire
(1887-1958)
inventor (traffic light)

He invented one of the world's first electric traffic lights in 1912 in Salt Lake City, Utah. He was a detective on the city police force. A wooden box with a slanted roof, the lights were colored with red and green dye and shone through circular openings. The box was mounted on a pole and the wires were attached to the overhead trolley and light wires. It was manually operated. Cleveland, Ohio, adopted a more elaborate electric signal in 1914, which became the prototype of all modern systems. Its two colors (red and green) could be controlled both by hand or by an automatic timer. They were supplemented by warning buzzers. These could still easily be heard, as traffic then was not as deafening as it is nowadays. The number of buzzes — one or two — indicated the direction.

FFH

Veteran Member
Actors
billy-barty-2.jpg

Billy Barty
(1924-2000)

Billy appeared in over 200 films in the 70 years of his career including vaudeville, television, commercials, stage roles and nightclub appearances. He is perhaps the most recognizable of all little people. He was 3-feet, 9-inches tall. He worked very hard to raise public awareness of the problems of people with dwarfism. He was awarded a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in July 1981.

dan-blocker.jpg

Dan Blocker
(1928-1972)

Best known for playing "Eric 'Hoss' Cartwright" on the popular and long-running TV series "Bonanza" from 1959 to 1972. He was drafted and served in combat during the Korean conflict. He started and owned the Bonanza steak house restaurant chain

wilford-brimley.jpg

Wilford Brimley

He was born in Salt Lake City, but his family moved to California. In the 1950s, his family belonged to the Santa Monica Stake. He entered films in the 1960s as a cowboy stunt man. He achieved star status in the 1980s with such films as The Thing (1981), Hotel New Hampshire (1984), The Natural (1984) and Cocoon (1986). For a time, he worked as the commercial spokesperson for the Quaker Oats company. LDS audiences might know him best from Brigham City. Currently he can be seen on television as the spokesperson for Liberty Medical Diabetic Supplies.

gordon-jump.jpg

Gordon Jump

Best known for his performances as Arthur Carlson on WKRP in Cincinnati (CBS, 1978-1982) and as the lonely Maytag repairman in a series of commercials. Some may also remember a guest appearance in 1983 on Different Strokes in which he played a child molester. He felt very strongly about raising awareness for this problem.

FFH

Veteran Member
Music

gladys-knight-05.jpg

Gladys Knight
Rhythm and blues, pop, gospel, soul
Seven-time Grammy Award winner
www.GladysKnight.com

She was baptized in August 1997 and received the endowment one year later. In 2000, she produced her first inspirational album, Many Different Roads, and in 2002, she organized a choir “to provide an opportunity for people who wouldn’t come otherwise to an LDS meeting, where they will hear a strong Christ-centered message of the restored gospel and feel the spirit that is present.” The choir is made up of more than 100 members from several stakes in the greater Las Vegas area. They bring a new level of passion and cultural awareness to the traditionally reserved LDS hymns. At the request of President Hinckley “to make your music available world-wide”, they have introduced their debut album One Voice, available at most retail music locations

Television

heigl.jpg

Katherine Heigl
actress

"I was a very good, pure girl all through high school... I was raised Mormon." She is from New Canaan, Connecticut. She signed a modeling contact at age nine selling Cheerios and Sears products. As an actress, her first starring role was in 1994’s My Father, the Hero. By age 20, she had landed a lead role on TV’s Roswell. She stars in the medical drama Grey’s Anatomy on ABC and a comedy film titled The Ringer, where she stars opposite Johnny Knoxville.

Sports

johnny-miller.jpg

Johnny Miller
Champion

Born in San Francisco, he attended BYU before turning pro in 1969. In the 1970s, he won both the US and British Opens. In the 1994, he closed his PGA TOUR career with a magical victory at the AT&T Pebble Beach National ProAm in '94. He has been elected to the World Golf Hall of Fame.

Extreme Sports

jeremy-jones.jpg

Jeremy Jones
snowboarding

He was married in the temple, bore his testimony at the death of a fellow pro snowboarder and his new pro model board by Burton has a rendition of Samuel the Lamananite on the wall. He is an active member and quite a good spokesman.

FFH

Veteran Member
2006 Torino Olympics

torah_bright.jpg

Torah Bright
Snowboarding

"Religion is my life," says Bright, a Mormon. "It's hard when I am on the road because I go to church every Sunday." I can go six weeks and not make it because I am traveling or am in another country but I always have my scriptures handy and I read a lot. "It keeps me grounded and gives me a purpose to what I am doing."

nyman.jpg

Steve Nyman
Combined Skiing

Nyman is a Mormon, and he says "it's been tough to uphold my standards" on the party-hard skiing circuit. He says he enjoys going out with friends to celebrate good performances but that he's not one of the guys who will stay out past 2 a.m. "I feel confident with who I am and what I believe in,"

2002 Salt Lake City Olympics

rowen-bright.jpg

Rowena Bright
Combined Skiing
2002 Salt Lake City

"There is an amazing amount of people here supporting me. Volunteers have heard or read about me and they're always wishing me good luck and telling me they're behind me. It's not quite the same as what the Sydney athletes would have felt in the (2000 Olympics) but it's got that sort of feeling for me. This is my spiritual home I guess and I'm just inspired by how the place was founded, with the pioneers risking their lives to get here. When I first heard that this was where the Winter Games would be, I decided then that this was the Olympics I would like to be at."

joe-pack.jpg

Joe Pack
Aerials
Silver 2002 Salt Lake City