• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Falun Gong

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
What is Falun Gong?
Falun Gong refers to five sets of movements, which include physical exercise and meditation, that practitioners believe heighten their physical well-being, spirituality, and moral awareness.

Falun Gong motions are done to rotate the falun, a spinning body of energy said to be located at the lower abdomen. Followers believe that performing the exercises stimulates energy within the body and absorbs energy from the universe, which releases negative elements from the body and remedies abnormal conditions within the body.

Falun Gong stems from the Chinese tradition of qigong, an ancient tradition of exercise and meditation. The Falun Gong movement was formerly affiliated with the Qigong Research Association of China, a national federation of qigong groups. Li Hongzhi, the founder of Falun Gong, withdrew from the movement in 1992 because his Falun Gong practice had a more spiritual focus than the other groups, which focused primarily on physical well-being.

What does Falun Gong mean?
Falun means "law wheel," and Gong means "the cultivation of energy and capabilities." Falun Gong is the name for the actual practice; its followers and practitioners typically were called Falun Dafa. However, Falun Gong has come to refer to both the practice and the movement.

The Falun Gong emblem is a mixture of Taoist and Buddhist symbols. In the center is a swastika, or "wan," surrounded by spinning swastikas and yin-yang signs. Li Hongzhi describes the emblem as a miniature of the universe, with the swastika representing the rotating universe.

Runt

It has nothing to do with Nazi Germany. It has been used in many cultures before Germany eventually adopted it as its symbol--Celts, Hindus, etc.

Master Vigil

Falun Gong is the same as Falun Dafa, I posted about it a while ago. The practitioners are being tortured and killed in china. Its so sad, the chinese government is calling it a cult and trying to ban it. The movements are amazing and simple, and they really charge your chi and relax your mind and body. I suggest you read about it. It is so sad how they are being treated in china.

well first of all i do falun gong and i can tell you that the swastika symbol of the falun is not actually a swastika
a swastika is black and turned the other way
what's used in falun dafa is called a wan or srivatsa symbol
it was used in ancient times to symbolize good fortune.
the wan is something buddhas have which smbolize a buddha's level.
buddhas or higher levels have more or those symbols and some at extremely high levels have them all over their body.
----hope this helps if you were wondering why :)

Master Vigil

Firstly, welcome!!

buddhas or higher levels have more or those symbols and some at extremely high levels have them all over their body.
What do you mean by this? Are they markings? Why do statues and artistic renderings of Siddhartha, and other buddha's not have these markings?

Surya Deva

I tried Falun Gong myself, I enjoyed the the exercises, but did not like the dogmatic tone of the teachings of the central text, nor did I feel I learnt much from them, as they mostly all theory.

Master Vigil, the symbol above is indeed a Swastika, and before the Nazi's adopted it as their national symbol, it was a symbol used in Hinduism(and many other cultures) as a symbol of good fortune and luck.

Master Vigil

Suraj said:
I tried Falun Gong myself, I enjoyed the the excercises, but did not like the dogmatic tone of the teachings of the central text, nor did I felt I learnt much more them, as they mostly all theory.
I agree, I felt traditional Chi Gong has much more to offer.

Master Vigil, the symbol above is indeed a Swastika, and before the Nazi's adopted it as their national symbol, it was a symbol used in Hinduism(and many other cultures) as a symbol of good fortune and luck.
I know this, Faceless Mage said that buddhas had these markings all over their bodies. Which I disagree with.

Surya Deva

Oh I see. I'm surprised you understood what I wrote, it was full of typos and missing words. I've edited it now!

Doktormartini

小虎
I believe the Swastika was used long ago in India and Japan and is used to represent happiness...correct? Sometimes you will see a statue of Buddha whit hime holding his palm out, and on his chest is a Swastika.

Master Vigil

Doktormartini said:
I believe the Swastika was used long ago in India and Japan and is used to represent happiness...correct? Sometimes you will see a statue of Buddha whit hime holding his palm out, and on his chest is a Swastika.
It has meant many things in many cultures. The only time I believe it was used in a negative tone is with the nazi's.

koan

I tend to think that Falun Dafa, is a cult. The spiritual side of the teachings, tends to be about the teacher and not where the teachings come from.

well first of all i do falun gong and i can tell you that the swastika symbol of the falun is not actually a swastika
a swastika is black and turned the other way
what's used in falun dafa is called a wan or srivatsa symbol
it was used in ancient times to symbolize good fortune.
the wan is something buddhas have which smbolize a buddha's level.
----hope this helps if you were wondering why :)

I'm just posting this to let anyone who read my other posts know that whatever is in them WAS ONLY MY PERSPECTIVE ON THINGS, they may be correct or may not be correct or may even have messed up things in them ( my understanding is that one is supposed to follow only one cultivation way until enlightened and you won't be able to become enlightened if you cultivate by adding in messed up messages to your cultivation ) due to me drifting away from the topic i was discussing or perhaps me not paying enough attention to what i was doing. I don't think i said enough earlier on those posts being the way i understand things etc and i just remembered i posted on this website a few days ago, so don't regard any of those posts i made as being what falun dafa teaches, get your own understanding through your own study of the practice of falun dafa, it's all free on the falun dafa website Falun Dafa (Falun Gong) - falundafa.org

What is Falun Gong?
Falun Gong refers to five sets of movements, which include physical exercise and meditation, that practitioners believe heighten their physical well-being, spirituality, and moral awareness.

Falun Gong motions are done to rotate the falun, a spinning body of energy said to be located at the lower abdomen. Followers believe that performing the exercises stimulates energy within the body and absorbs energy from the universe, which releases negative elements from the body and remedies abnormal conditions within the body.

Falun Gong stems from the Chinese tradition of qigong, an ancient tradition of exercise and meditation. The Falun Gong movement was formerly affiliated with the Qigong Research Association of China, a national federation of qigong groups. Li Hongzhi, the founder of Falun Gong, withdrew from the movement in 1992 because his Falun Gong practice had a more spiritual focus than the other groups, which focused primarily on physical well-being.

What does Falun Gong mean?
Falun means "law wheel," and Gong means "the cultivation of energy and capabilities." Falun Gong is the name for the actual practice; its followers and practitioners typically were called Falun Dafa. However, Falun Gong has come to refer to both the practice and the movement.

The Falun Gong emblem is a mixture of Taoist and Buddhist symbols. In the center is a swastika, or "wan," surrounded by spinning swastikas and yin-yang signs. Li Hongzhi describes the emblem as a miniature of the universe, with the swastika representing the rotating universe.

For this quote i'm doing it becasue according to the way i understand things, one is supposed to use Mr Li Hongzhi's ( The founder of falun dafa ) original words when one is talking about falun dafa or say that what is being discussed is only your understanding of Falun Dafa and that it doen't represent falun dafa so as not to cause damage to Falun Dafa. So everyone should check out Falun Dafa themselves to understand what it is all about.
It's FREE on the website Falun Dafa (Falun Gong) - falundafa.org

I agree, I felt traditional Chi Gong has much more to offer.

I know this, Faceless Mage said that buddhas had these markings all over their bodies. Which I disagree with.

I was speaking about Falun Dafa according to the way i understood things but i forgot to say that in some of the posts i made.
What i said was simply the way i understand things, so don't regard it as being the teachings of Falun Dafa. If you want to truly understand falun dafa it's best to get your own understanding of it. Falun dafa is free on the website Falun Dafa (Falun Gong) - falundafa.org

As for that buddha thing with what you called the swastika symbol , here is a quote from Lecture 5 of a Falun Dafa book called Zhuan Falun

"Our human society began to know this symbol widely twenty-five hundred years ago in Sakyamuni’s time. It has only been several decades since Hitler’s time during World War II. He appropriated it, but the color he used was different from ours. It was black and pointing upwards, and was used in the upright position. I will only address so much regarding this Falun, though I have only mentioned its superficial form. Then what does this srivatsa
wanzi.gif
symbolize in our Buddha School? Some people say that it stands for good fortune, which is an interpretation of everyday people. Let me tell you that
wanzi.gif
signifies a Buddha’s level. It only exists at the Buddha level. A Bodhisattva or an Arhat does not have it. But senior Bodhisattvas, the Four Senior Bodhisattvas, have it. We have found that these Senior Bodhisattvas have far surpassed the level of ordinary Buddhas, and they are even higher than a Tathagata. Beyond the level of Tathagata, there are numerous Buddhas. A Tathagata has only one
wanzi.gif
symbol. Those who have reached beyond the level of Tathagata will have more
wanzi.gif
symbols. A Buddha whose level is twice as high as a Tathagata has two
wanzi.gif
symbols. For those who are still higher, they have three, four, five srivatsas, and so on. Some have so many srivatsas that they are all over their bodies, including on their heads, shoulders, and knees. When there are too many of them, they will even appear on their palms, fingers, foot arches, toes, etc. As one’s level continually increases, one will have more and more
wanzi.gif
symbols. Therefore, the
wanzi.gif
symbol represents a Buddha’s status. The higher a Buddha’s status, the more
wanzi.gif
symbols a Buddha has."

Master Vigil

As for that buddha thing with what you called the swastika symbol , here is a quote from Lecture 5 of a Falun Dafa book called Zhuan Falun

"Our human society began to know this symbol widely twenty-five hundred years ago in Sakyamuni’s time. It has only been several decades since Hitler’s time during World War II. He appropriated it, but the color he used was different from ours. It was black and pointing upwards, and was used in the upright position. I will only address so much regarding this Falun, though I have only mentioned its superficial form. Then what does this srivatsa
wanzi.gif
symbolize in our Buddha School? Some people say that it stands for good fortune, which is an interpretation of everyday people. Let me tell you that
wanzi.gif
signifies a Buddha’s level. It only exists at the Buddha level. A Bodhisattva or an Arhat does not have it. But senior Bodhisattvas, the Four Senior Bodhisattvas, have it. We have found that these Senior Bodhisattvas have far surpassed the level of ordinary Buddhas, and they are even higher than a Tathagata. Beyond the level of Tathagata, there are numerous Buddhas. A Tathagata has only one
wanzi.gif
symbol. Those who have reached beyond the level of Tathagata will have more
wanzi.gif
symbols. A Buddha whose level is twice as high as a Tathagata has two
wanzi.gif
symbols. For those who are still higher, they have three, four, five srivatsas, and so on. Some have so many srivatsas that they are all over their bodies, including on their heads, shoulders, and knees. When there are too many of them, they will even appear on their palms, fingers, foot arches, toes, etc. As one’s level continually increases, one will have more and more
wanzi.gif
symbols. Therefore, the
wanzi.gif
symbol represents a Buddha’s status. The higher a Buddha’s status, the more
wanzi.gif
symbols a Buddha has."
That's lovely, but I don't agree with it. Especially because I have never seen any depictions of Siddhartha with the simple all over his body. So I believe this is only a Falun Gong concept. I do not believe that buddhists believe in what was written here.

Mind_Zenith

Broadcasting Live!
That's lovely, but I don't agree with it. Especially because I have never seen any depictions of Siddhartha with the simple all over his body. So I believe this is only a Falun Gong concept. I do not believe that buddhists believe in what was written here.

I'm a buddhist, and I believe something along those lines. Many buddhist statues in Chinese Buddhism has the Wan symbol. I mean, I don't believe the Bodhisattvas have surpassed the Buddhas, as they are equal. And I don't believe it's like a status symbol or whatever. However, I would definitely call the Wan symbol a symbol of the Buddha, or the Dharma.

Last edited:

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
1999 Time Magazine interview with Li Hongzhi, the founder and leader of Falun Gong

Excerpt,..
Time: Why does chaos reign now?

Li: Of course there is not just one reason. The biggest cause of society's change today is that people no longer believe in orthodox religion. They go to church, but they no longer believe in God. They feel free to do anything. The second reason is that since the beginning of this century, aliens have begun to invade the human mind and its ideology and culture.

Time: Where do they come from?

Li: The aliens come from other planets. The names that I use for these planets are different . Some are from dimensions that human beings have not yet discovered. The key is how they have corrupted mankind. Everyone knows that from the beginning until now, there has never been a development of culture like today. Although it has been several thousand years, it has never been like now.

The aliens have introduced modern machinery like computers and airplanes. They started by teaching mankind about modern science, so people believe more and more science, and spiritually, they are controlled. Everyone thinks that scientists invent on their own when in fact their inspiration is manipulated by the aliens. In terms of culture and spirit, they already control man. Mankind cannot live without science.

The ultimate purpose is to replace humans. If cloning human beings succeeds, the aliens can officially replace humans. Why does a corpse lie dead, even though it is the same as a living body? The difference is the soul, which is the life of the body. If people reproduce a human person, the gods in heaven will not give its body a human soul. The aliens will take that opportunity to replace the human soul and by doing so they will enter earth and become earthlings.

When such people grow up, they will help replace humans with aliens. They will produce more and more clones. There will no longer be humans reproduced by humans. They will act like humans, but they will introduce legislation to stop human reproduction.

Time: Are you a human being?

Li: You can think of me as a human being.

Time: Are you from earth?

Li: I don't wish to talk about myself at a higher level. People wouldn't understand it.

Time: What are the aliens after?

Li: The aliens use many methods to keep people from freeing themselves from manipulation. They make earthlings have wars and conflicts, and develop weapons using science, which makes mankind more dependent on advanced science and technology. In this way, the aliens will be able to introduce their stuff and make the preparations for replacing human beings. The military industry leads other industries such as computers and electronics.

Time: But what is the alien purpose?

Li: The human body is the most perfect in the universe. It is the most perfect form. The aliens want the human body.

Time: What do aliens look like?

Li: Some look similar to human beings. U.S. technology has already detected some aliens. The difference between aliens can be quite enormous.

Time: Can you describe it?

Li: You don't want to have that kind of thought in your mind.

Time: Describe them anyway.

Li: One type looks like a human, but has a nose that is made of bone. Others look like ghosts. At first they thought that I was trying to help them. Now they now that I am sweeping them away.,

Time: How do you see the future?

Li: Future human society is quite terrifying. If aliens are not to replace human beings, society will destroy itself on its own. Industry is creating invisible air pollution. The microparticles in the air harm human beings. The abnormality in the climate today is caused by that [pollution], and it cannot be remedied by humans alone. The drinking water is polluted. No matter how we try to purify it, it cannot return to its original purity. Modern science cannot determine the extent of the damage. The food we eat is the product of fertilized soil. The meat we eat is affected. I can foresee a future when human limbs become deformed, the body's joints won't move and internal organs will become dysfunctional. Modern science hasn't realized this yet.

At the beginning you asked why I did such things. I only tell practitioners, but not the public because they cannot comprehend it. I am trying to save those people who can return to a high level and to a high moral level. Modern science does not understand this, so governments can do nothing. The only person in the entire world who knows this is myself alone.

I am not against the public knowing, but I am teaching practitioners. Even though the public knows, it cannot do anything about it. People can't free themselves from science and from their concepts. I am not against science. I am only telling mankind the truth. I drive a car. I also live in the environment. Don't believe that I am against science. But I know that modern science is destroying mankind. Aliens have already constructed a layer of cells in human beings. The development of computers dictates this layer of body cells to control human culture and spirituality and in the end to replace human beings.

Pax

I support Falun Gong against the repression of the Chinese Government.

I've had the privilige of knowing a lot of practicioners who say it brings a lot of health benefits, in addition to helping them become calmer and more spiritual as individuals.

Naturally, there are people in the Chinese government who are jealous of Falun Gong's success and are seeking to destroy it. Hence the reason why China now allows missionaries into the country to convert people to Christianity.

"falun dafa is good!"

Last edited:

zer0

Why the swastika though? Was it more popular before Nazi Germany?

Yes actually. The swastika has been used in the Eastern culture for a very long time and it certainly predates the birth of Hitler. In fact, the interesting thing is, Hitler used the Swastika because he had a deep fascination with the Ancient philosophies presented in Hinduism. His use of Arianism is also significant of that.