• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

False dreams

Eyes to See

Dreams are a way God transmitted prophecies. In Jeremiah he said:

Here I am against the prophets of false dreams,” is the utterance of Jehovah, “who relate them and cause my people to wander about because of their falsehoods and because of their boasting.”-Jeremiah 23:32.

The context in a previous verse helps us see what it means. Verse 25 states:

 “I have heard what the prophets who are prophesying falsehood in my own name have said, saying, ‘I have had a dream! I have had a dream!’

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Dunno.

Sometimes I dream about RF members. Are they false dreams?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
False dreams.What does the words false dreams mean in the bible?

Maybe it means, was aware, that dreams were not a reliable source of prophecy.

Everyone has dreams and can dream just about anything.

Prophets OTOH maybe knew they were speaking for God? IOW, the had absolute knowledge from God?

With Moses, God spoke directly to Moses. Is the Bible cautioning us not to rely on dreams or dreamers?

A false dream, any dream which one might assume to carry the authority of God? I wonder if the Bible/OT says anywhere that prophecy comes via dreams.

Eyes to See

Maybe it means, was aware, that dreams were not a reliable source of prophecy.

Everyone has dreams and can dream just about anything.

Prophets OTOH maybe knew they were speaking for God? IOW, the had absolute knowledge from God?

With Moses, God spoke directly to Moses. Is the Bible cautioning us not to rely on dreams or dreamers?

A false dream, any dream which one might assume to carry the authority of God? I wonder if the Bible/OT says anywhere that prophecy comes via dreams.

Yes, there are a number of dreams recorded in the Hebrew scriptures that were prophecies from God. One was the dream that God gave to Pharaoh that Joseph interpreted. Another was a dream that Jehovah gave to Nebuchadnezzar in Daniel about a statue.

If you are interested in the Bible and don't want to read all of it you might want to check out a book like My Book of Bible Stories. It's a children's book, so simple to read. But it will help you learn a lot of Biblical accounts without reading all of the Bible.

https://www.jw.org/en/library/books/bible-stories/

ETA:

Here is the account about Pharaoh's dream:

https://www.jw.org/en/library/books/bible-stories/2/pharaoh-dreams/

Last edited:

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Yes, there are a number of dreams recorded in the Hebrew scriptures that were prophecies from God. One was the dream that God gave to Pharaoh that Joseph interpreted. Another was a dream that Jehovah gave to Nebuchadnezzar in Daniel about a statue.

If you are interested in the Bible and don't want to read all of it you might want to check out a book like My Book of Bible Stories. It's a children's book, so simple to read. But it will help you learn a lot of Biblical accounts without reading all of the Bible.

https://www.jw.org/en/library/books/bible-stories/

ETA:

Here is the account about Pharaoh's dream:

https://www.jw.org/en/library/books/bible-stories/2/pharaoh-dreams/

Ok, but these two were interpreted by people who were prophets. The prophets themselves didn't have the dreams.

Jeremiah 23:25-26 "I have heard what the prophets say who prophesy lies in my name. They say, 'I had a dream! I had a dream!' How long will this continue in the hearts of these lying prophets, who prophesy the delusions of their own minds?"

I'd see it as an attempt to reinforce the authority of the OT prophets. Officially recognized prophets.

Eyes to See

Ok, but these two were interpreted by people who were prophets. The prophets themselves didn't have the dreams.

Jeremiah 23:25-26 "I have heard what the prophets say who prophesy lies in my name. They say, 'I had a dream! I had a dream!' How long will this continue in the hearts of these lying prophets, who prophesy the delusions of their own minds?"

I'd see it as an attempt to reinforce the authority of the OT prophets. Officially recognized prophets.

Well there are other dreams that were prophecies in the Hebrew scriptures.

Daniel had a terrifying dream of wild beasts that represented coming world powers, for example.

Hawkins

False dreams.What does the words false dreams mean in the bible?

Valid prophetic dreams have a pattern only the true prophets will reckon (through initial "training", yeah somehow I know).

It generally works like this. You have a prophetic dream usually with something critically missing (or to that effect). You can find the missing part in reality. It is made of two parts one inside the dream with the other in reality. For an example, you read "You a dream with critically" in a dream, then in reality you somehow notice an odd note which says "have prophetic usually something missing". So you can combine the two to form a complete sentence, "You have a prophetic dream usually with something critically missing".

The reality part here makes the dream compete on the one hand, it confirms the dream itself on the other. A true prophet thus knows it is a false dream if it doesn't follow (the dreamer didn't mention or hint) this two-part pattern. Other than a prophetic dream, another type of dreams is about visions. Today's people are allowed to dream dreams, such those visited hell and heaven in their vivid dreams.

Last edited: