• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fallout

Eyes to See

Remember watching this video several years ago. Ran across it again. I still can't believe how many nuclear bombs have been detonated on our planet in the second half of the 20th century.

Any guesses how many?

Fallout.jpg

At the end of the video the tally is 2,053! And it is staggering how many the United States dropped on its own country as you watch the dots light up.

My wife and I have watched many people, friends and family, die over the years. It is also telling how many have died of cancer. Is it just a coincidence?

The movie The Conqueror was filmed near test sites in the west. They say, John Wayne, and many others on that movie died to cancer.

Did a DuckDuckGo search to verify that actually and found this article:

Did John Wayne die of cancer caused by a radioactive movie set?

According to the article of 220 people working on the set 91 contracted cancer and 46 died of it including John Wayne.

What a crying shame.

Oh, here is the video...A Time-Lapse Map of Every Nuclear Explosion Since 1945

exchemist

Veteran Member
Remember watching this video several years ago. Ran across it again. I still can't believe how many nuclear bombs have been detonated on our planet in the second half of the 20th century.

Any guesses how many?

View attachment 43358

At the end of the video the tally is 2,053! And it is staggering how many the United States dropped on its own country as you watch the dots light up.

My wife and I have watched many people, friends and family, die over the years. It is also telling how many have died of cancer. Is it just a coincidence?

The movie The Conqueror was filmed near test sites in the west. They say, John Wayne, and many others on that movie died to cancer.

Did a DuckDuckGo search to verify that actually and found this article:

Did John Wayne die of cancer caused by a radioactive movie set?

According to the article of 220 people working on the set 91 contracted cancer and 46 died of it including John Wayne.

What a crying shame.

The main reason so many people get cancer nowadays is because they live long enough to do so, i.e. don't get killed by something else first. Apart, that is, from those that die from lung cancer due to smoking, which is a self-inflicted fate.

Regarding John Wayne et al, the incidence of cancer among the people working on the movie seems to be close to the US average. I quote from the Wiki article on "Downwinders":

In 1980, American popular weekly magazine People reported that from about 220 cast and crew who filmed in a 1956 movie, The Conqueror, on location near St. George, Utah, ninety-one had come down with cancer, and 50 had died of cancer.[11] Of these, forty-six had died of cancer by 1980. Among the cancer deaths were John Wayne, Pedro Armendáriz and Susan Hayward, the stars of the film.[11] However, the lifetime odds of developing cancer for men in the U.S. population are 43 percent and the odds of dying of cancer are 23 percent (38 percent and 19 percent, respectively, for women).[12] This places the cancer mortality rate for the 220 primary cast and crew quite near the expected average.[13]

So it's a myth.

Last edited:

Sw. Vandana Jyothi

Truth is One, many are the Names
Premium Member
The main reason so many people get cancer nowadays is because they live long enough to do so, i.e. don't get killed by something else first.

Other than pollution, I propose a different "main reason" for the increase in cancer and that is the systematic chemical poisoning of our food supply by Big Farma, not limited to but including added sugars and high fructose corn syrup. I believe it's deliberate and that the same greedy ghouls who own Big Farma own Big Pharma. First they poison you all your life with their "food" to make you sick, then when your body just can't handle it anymore (now it is because of age), they make your body dependent on their expensive drugs to keep it alive.

So call me a conspiracy theorist.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Other than pollution, I propose a different "main reason" for the increase in cancer and that is the systematic chemical poisoning of our food supply by Big Farma, not limited to but including added sugars and high fructose corn syrup. I believe it's deliberate and that the same greedy ghouls who own Big Farma own Big Pharma. First they poison you all your life with their "food" to make you sick, then when your body just can't handle it anymore (now it is because of age), they make your body dependent on their expensive drugs to keep it alive.

Finally someone who is a realist. Added excess salt also adds to higher clientele of Big Pharma. Excess UHT oil(1) added gives more cancer also (2)

Note1: UHT (means processed at Ultra High Temperature)
Note2: But like with cigarettes not all get long cancer; some who are predisposed might increase the chance to get it

Last edited:

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Code:
Date     Description     Estimated Yield     Type     Name     Location
16 July 1945     U.S. tests first nuclear device     ~20 kt     plutonium implosion     Trinity     Alamagordo, New Mexico, USA
6 August 1945     Little Boy dropped on Hiroshima     ~13 kt     HEU gun-type     Little Boy     Hiroshima, Japan
9 August 1945     Fat Man dropped on Nagasaki     ~21 kt     plutonium implosion     Fat Man     Nagasaki, Japan
25 July 1946     U.S. conducts first underwater test     ~23 kt     plutonium implosion     Crossroads Baker     Bikini Atoll, Marshall Islands
29 August 1949     U.S.S.R. tests first nuclear weapon     ~21 kt     plutonium     Joe 1 (name given by the United States)     Semipalatinsk, Kazakhstan
3 October 1952     U.K. tests first nuclear weapon     ~20 kt     plutonium implosion     Hurricane     Monte Bello Islands, Australia
1 November 1952     U.S. tests first thermonuclear device     ~10.4 MT     thermonuclear     Ivy Mike     Enewetak Atoll, Marshall Islands
1 March 1954     U.S. tests first deliverable thermonuclear weapon     ~14.8 MT     thermonuclear     Castle Bravo     Bikini Atoll, Marshall Islands
22 November 1955     U.S.S.R. tests its first thermonuclear weapon     ~1.6 MT     thermonuclear     Joe 19 (name given by the United States)     Semipalatinsk, Kazakhstan
15 May 1957     U.K. tests its first thermonuclear weapon     ~200-300 kt     thermonuclear     Grapple     Christmas Island (Kiritimati), South Pacific
19 September 1957     U.S. conducts first fully contained underground nuclear test     ~1.7 kt     composite pit implosion     Plumbbob Rainier     Nevada Test Site, USA
8 November 1957     U.K. tests its first successful thermonuclear weapon     ~1.8 MT     thermonuclear     Grapple X     Christmas Island (Kiritimati), South Pacific
13 February 1960     France tests its first nuclear weapon     ~60-70 kt     plutonium implosion     Gerboise Bleue     Reganne, Algeria
30 October 1961     U.S.S.R. conducts Tsar Bomba test, the biggest nuclear explosion in history     ~50-58 MT     thermonuclear     Tsar Bomba     Novaya Zemlya, Russia
6 July 1962     U.S. conducts Sedan test as part of the Plowshare Program     ~104 kt     thermonuclear     Storax Sedan     Nevada Test Site, USA
9 July 1962     U.S. conducts Starfish Prime test in outer space     1.45 mt     thermonuclear     Starfish Prime     Lower Outer Space
16 October 1964     China tests its first nuclear weapon     ~22 kt     HEU implosion     596     Lop Nur, China
17 June 1967     China tests its first thermonuclear weapon     ~3.3 MT     thermonuclear     CHIC-6     Lop Nur, China
24 August 1968     France tests its first successful thermonuclear weapon     ~2.6 MT     thermonuclear     Canopus     Fangataufa Atoll, South Pacific
18 May 1974     India tests its first explosive nuclear device     ~12-15 kt     plutonium implosion     Smiling Buddha     Rajasthan, India
24 October 1990     Last U.S.S.R nuclear test     ~1 T     low-yield test     (715th test)     Novaya Zemlya, Russia
26 November 1991     Last U.K. nuclear test     ~11 kt     Low-yield option of variable-yield thermonuclear device (?)     Julin Bristol (45th test)     Nevada Test Site, USA
23 September 1992     Last U.S. nuclear test     ~5 kT     safety experiment     Julin Divider (1,032nd test)     Nevada Test Site, USA
27 January 1996     Last French nuclear test     ~120 kt     thermonuclear     Xouthos (210th test)     Fangataufa Atoll, South Pacific
29 July 1996     Last Chinese nuclear test     ~1-5 kt     low-yield test     (45th test)     Lop Nur, China
11 May 1998     India conducts a nuclear test (three nuclear devices)     ~45 kt total     thermonuclear device (?), plutonium implosion, low-yield test     Shakti     Pokhran Desert, India
13 May 1998     India conducts a nuclear test (two nuclear devices)     <1 kt     low-yield tests     Shakti     Pokhran Desert, India
28 May 1998     Pakistan conducts a nuclear test (five nuclear devices)     ~9-12 kt total     HEU fission device, boosted fission device (?), 3 low-yield tests     Chagai-I     Ras Koh, Pakistan
30 May 1998     Pakistan conducts a nuclear test (one nuclear device)     ~4-6 kt     HEU fission device     Chagai-I     Ras Koh, Pakistan
9 October 2006     DPRK announces that it has conducted a first nuclear test     magnitude 4.1     plutonium implosion (?)           Hwadae-ri, Korea
25 May 2009     DPRK announces that it has conducted a second nuclear test     magnitude 4.52     plutonium implosion (?)           Hwadae-ri, Korea
12 February 2013     DPRK announces that it has conducted a third nuclear test     magnitude 4.9     plutonium implosion (?)           Hwadae-ri, Korea
That list of 'Significant Nuclear Explosions' is from this page here: Types of Nuclear Weapons: CTBTO Preparatory Commission

exchemist

Veteran Member

You are a conspiracy theorist. :p And it's spelt Pharma.

I can't find any reference to reputable research showing high fructose corn syrup is carcinogenic. Can you provide any evidence of this? Or is this just something you've chosen to believe, without evidence, because fits a worldview?

I'd be the first to agree that HFCS is probably put into far too many industrial food preparations, at far too high a level to avoid people blowing up like barrage balloons. And far too many things are sweetened in general (There was a legal case in Ireland just yesterday in which Subway's horrible pappy rolls were judged not to be bread within the legal definition, due to have five times the maximum permitted level of sugar for bread.)

But that's not the same as causing cancer.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
...systematic chemical poisoning of our food supply by Big Farma...
I have entertained such questions before, but purposeful poison would be a lot more effective and addictive. They have smart people who could make things much worse. I think the bad food additive comes from a mixture of interest in making food better, by preserving it combined with a high handed approach to cost cutting and cutthroat pricing. Consider bread preservatives. They are a neat idea, and until recently it was thought that they were not a problem. Some people, though, can't handle them. Somebody came up with a good idea hoping to help solve hunger, but it wasn't that simple. That's how I see it. The same with 'Free msg' and other additives and flavorings. They aren't made to be poisons. They are, however, compromises with industry and with costs. If I eat a can of certain kinds of Progresso it affects me. I can't prove it, but I feel like crap later. Still its not poison, and its not everything they make. Their lentils with spinach is great. I can eat that all day without problems. Do they know this? I don't know. Cambell's and most others are the same. Some canned soups don't agree with me. Soup I make myself with real spices and no free msg is ideal, and I have learned how or nearly so. I'm getting better at it.

including added sugars and high fructose corn syrup
High fructose is dangerous, and unfortunately its very cheap. I do see a connection with cancer due to its correlation with obesity. I don't think it directly causes cancer but does cause some obesity and is a factor increasing inflammation and therefore affects cancer. I'm not a doctor, but I have eliminated this product from my diet almost completely. I still love its taste and occasionally eat something with it in there, but generally I avoid it and don't keep it on hand at all. I have some free msg that I can sprinkle on very rare occasions, but I don't keep high fructose here.

I believe it's deliberate and that the same greedy ghouls who own Big Farma own Big Pharma.
They are owned through stock, and the stock helps poor people to be able to invest in business. The connection between big pharmaceuticals and big sugar is tenuous and is monetary. I don't believe they are hoping to make us sick with sugar in order to sell us drugs, no. People are stupid and unhappy enough that we just keep right on making ourselves and each other sick, so I don't think its needed. Its like how I view the 'Devil' as redundant. We're already bad enough, and all wickedness is explained without a devil.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Most of those nuclear weapons were not 'dropped'. In fact, the vast majority were underground tests that released almost nothing into the atmosphere.

The danger of atmospheric tests was recognized fairly early and limited (at first voluntarily and later by treaty) among the main contenders. Of course, each new country needs to conduct its tests above ground just to prove it can do so.

The next issue is the question of 'radiation'. It is not a uniform thing by any stretch of the imagination. Alpha rays, for example, can be stopped by a sheet of paper. Gamma rays, on the other hand, can penetrate quite far. Beta rays are intermediate between those extremes. So the type of radiation matters.

Also, the half-life of the radioactive material matters. In general, the most highly radioactive materials have a short half-life and so don't stay around very long. If the half-life is a few days, then nothing will be left a month out. Those with really long half-lives (which stay around) don't tend to be highly radioactive and so are much less dangerous. The really dangerous materials are those with intermediate radioactivity for this reason.

That leads to the issue of dose. If you stand next to any stone wall, you get a dose of radioactivity from the Potassium-40 in the stone (as well as other radioactive materials). Potasssium-40 is a naturally occurring radioactive material that is almost universal. If you live in a stone house, you are exposed to radioactivity from this material every day.

So the question is how the radioactivity released from nuclear tests compares to that from houses built from stone. Care to compare?

Sw. Vandana Jyothi

Premium Member
You are a conspiracy theorist. :p And it's spelt Pharma.

Not sure what you're alluding to here? I was playing with two concepts, industrialized farming and the drug industry. I used Big Farma to denote the former which isn't common, I'll agree.

I can't find any reference to reputable research showing high fructose corn syrup is carcinogenic. Can you provide any evidence of this? Or is this just something you've chosen to believe, without evidence, because fits a worldview?

For me, whether my belief fits a worldview is immaterial. That goes for any of my beliefs.

Did you actually look for a reference between cancer, sugar and HFCS? No, I didn't go looking, either, for "reputable research to back up my assertion." It's more an intuitive thing. Sugar excites the cells. Cancer cells are normal cells excited to mutate and run amok, so to speak.

But my REAL bad here is taking this thread off course. My apologies to the OP.

Sw. Vandana Jyothi

Premium Member
I have entertained such questions before, but purposeful poison would be a lot more effective and addictive. They have smart people who could make things much worse. I think the bad food additive comes from a mixture of interest in making food better, by preserving it combined with a high handed approach to cost cutting and cutthroat pricing. Consider bread preservatives. They are a neat idea, and until recently it was thought that they were not a problem. Some people, though, can't handle them. Somebody came up with a good idea hoping to help solve hunger, but it wasn't that simple. That's how I see it. The same with 'Free msg' and other additives and flavorings. They aren't made to be poisons. They are, however, compromises with industry and with costs. If I eat a can of certain kinds of Progresso it affects me. I can't prove it, but I feel like crap later. Still its not poison, and its not everything they make. Their lentils with spinach is great. I can eat that all day without problems. Do they know this? I don't know. Cambell's and most others are the same. Some canned soups don't agree with me. Soup I make myself with real spices and no free msg is ideal, and I have learned how or nearly so. I'm getting better at it.

High fructose is dangerous, and unfortunately its very cheap. I do see a connection with cancer due to its correlation with obesity. I don't think it directly causes cancer but does cause some obesity and is a factor increasing inflammation and therefore affects cancer. I'm not a doctor, but I have eliminated this product from my diet almost completely. I still love its taste and occasionally eat something with it in there, but generally I avoid it and don't keep it on hand at all. I have some free msg that I can sprinkle on very rare occasions, but I don't keep high fructose here.

They are owned through stock, and the stock helps poor people to be able to invest in business. The connection between big pharmaceuticals and big sugar is tenuous and is monetary. I don't believe they are hoping to make us sick with sugar in order to sell us drugs, no. People are stupid and unhappy enough that we just keep right on making ourselves and each other sick, so I don't think its needed. Its like how I view the 'Devil' as redundant. We're already bad enough, and all wickedness is explained without a devil.

Brick'ji, poor people don't own stock. They're trying to keep a roof over their family's heads and food on the table. Dreamer.:rolleyes:

exchemist

Veteran Member
Not sure what you're alluding to here? I was playing with two concepts, industrialized farming and the drug industry. I used Big Farma to denote the former which isn't common, I'll agree.

For me, whether my belief fits a worldview is immaterial. That goes for any of my beliefs.

Did you actually look for a reference between cancer, sugar and HFCS? No, I didn't go looking, either, for "reputable research to back up my assertion." It's more an intuitive thing. Sugar excites the cells. Cancer cells are normal cells excited to mutate and run amok, so to speak.

But my REAL bad here is taking this thread off course. My apologies to the OP.
Yes I did look, as soon as I saw what you were claiming, because I was sceptical (see below). And all I found was an article dismissing the notion.

But now I see your joke about Big Farma - how stupid of me to have missed it! It's rather good.

There does seem to be evidence that obesity can be linked to cancer: Does obesity cause cancer?

So in that sense anything that leads to obesity indirectly leads to more cancer in the population. But there is no evidence that HFCS is itself a carcinogen. This is unsurprising when you consider that our ape ancestors lived largely on fruit, in which the main sugar present is fructose.

stvdv

Any guesses how many?

Thanks for sharing. I remember reading they did it, but never thought it happened so much

exchemist

Veteran Member
Not found when you cook/eat only homemade fresh food; it's in supermarket foods that need not be cooled to store for long time
I don't understand this. What oil is used, in what processes? Are you talking about some sort of frying?

stvdv

I do think if you live very nearby, like with Chernobyl long ago, then the effect will be big. But if I see that people get so old now, then it still seems not too bad on earth. Of course some people might be predisposed to cancer, and for those this amount can be too much.

stvdv

I don't understand this. What oil is used, in what processes? Are you talking about some sort of frying?
UHT is done very short at higher temperature. 135 (not too bad) or sometimes 160. Or frying and baking (250). But for most people this won't give any direct problems, only for those who are prone to certain diseases this has big impact. So, if you have no health issues then nothing to worry, because I see most people nowadays live for more than 70 years. Only when you are prone to infections than it might be wise to reduce high heated food (like fried).

I have Crohn disease and kidney problem. So, for me it's important to stay away of high heated oil. But even I can take for a few days heated oil without getting immediate trouble, but after a few days I get pain. Then I stop this food, and a few days later I am fine again.

They start doing research in this now. I read about roasted potatoes that MIGHT be related to cancer. Here they say it's too soon to tell, and it's not significant. I think myself that this is because it will only effect those who are prone to this type of disease. So, if you take a big group, there might be just a small part who are prone to getting it.

Why there is increase in cancer nowadays? I think your point is the major factor, people get much older now, and we have to die one day.