• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fallen in Love

Flow

NONE
i looked at, on sunday, GURSIKH's thread Ajaapa Jaap ! 24*7. I really liked Snatam Kaurs songs and some of the other ones. So later that say I went to a book store and bought a book entitled "SIKH RELIGION" by the Sikh Missionary Center. I began to read about Waheguru, Guru Nanak Dev, and Im on the second Guru right now. I looked in the back of the book which is kind of like an outline of Sikhism.

Now, I have looked into Buddhism, Hinduism, and loved Taoism. But, I think I might have fallen in love with Sikhism. I love the equality, the devotion, the brotherhood, Waheguru, and I just love everything about it so far. So i was wondering if I could have some people tell me more about Sikhism and if conversion is possible. Im not really looking into conversion right now, but just in case I would like to know the way to do so. For some reason I always looked over Sikhism. And now that I have looked into it, only a little mind you, Im beginning to think that its the perfection of Religion in my eyes. Im not sure what all of this means, but I have fallen in love with Sikhism very fast and I would just like to know more to see if its as Amazing as I take it to be so far.

WayFarer

Rogue Scholar
Taoist,
I read your post and understand your attraction to Sikhism. I had stated once

I thought that the Tao is like plowing the fields of the mind. But like a plowed field the mind seeks more than just to be prepared. The Tao tends to leave you wanting more. It may bring a peace to the mind, a sense of understanding, but then leaves it in contemplation. Most often the heart desires an active practice. That is where and why Chinese folk religion(s) attached themselves to the Tao. But what if that next step is not the step into Chinese folk religion but what if it is to the Guru Granth Sahib? With the Guru Granth Sahib as a guide to prayer and further contemplation the mind that has been brought to an understanding is further enriched. The heart that desires participation is rewarded. Both having sought and found a connection with the Divine. I feel that when Lao Tzu wrote he was bringing it to the curious mind. Guru Nanak brought it to the heart.
That being said now to answer your question. Conversion is possible. There are quite a few "converts" in spite of the fact that Sikhism does not actively pursue converting anyone. I am told acceptance (from Sikhs born into it) can be more problematical. I am sure others who know far more than I will be here in a minute to provide you with a better answer than I can. I just wanted to express that I understand what you see in Sikhism and share an appreciation for the Tao.

xkatz

I have been also looking into Sikhism Taoist. Sikhism is open to anyone and thus anyone can convert. If you are interested in Sikhism I would begin looking at the Guru Granth Sahib, the Sikh holy book. Try to learn the first stanza, the Mool Mantra (it's surprisingly easy to memorize IMO). You might also want to visit a gurdwara or talk to a Sikh sometime.

Onkara

I feel that when Lao Tzu wrote he was bringing it to the curious mind. Guru Nanak brought it to the heart.

I agree with this. The Tao is impersonal and so can Waheguru be described as such. Waheguru is actively loved and in return there is love. What I have come to understand is that Waheguru allows complete self abandonment in love. Clearly there is no difference between the Tao and Waheguru, but the path allows the seeker to "let go" but differently it seems; at the end everyone arrives Home.

Last edited:

GURSIKH

chardi kla
Hi Taoist ;)

Fallen in Love,

ਸਚਿ ਰਤੇ ਗੁਰ ਸਬਦ ਸਿਉ ਤਿਨ ਸਚੀ ਸਦਾ ਲਿਵ ਹੋਇ ॥.
Those who are truly attuned to the Word of the Guru's Shabad-their love is forever True

;)

Flow

NONE
Hi Taoist ;)

ਸਚਿ ਰਤੇ ਗੁਰ ਸਬਦ ਸਿਉ ਤਿਨ ਸਚੀ ਸਦਾ ਲਿਵ ਹੋਇ ॥.
Those who are truly attuned to the Word of the Guru's Shabad-their love is forever True

;)

Thank you, thats just what i needed to hear.

GURSIKH

chardi kla
I have been also looking into Sikhism Taoist. Sikhism is open to anyone and thus anyone can convert. If you are interested in Sikhism I would begin looking at the Guru Granth Sahib, the Sikh holy book. Try to learn the first stanza, the Mool Mantra (it's surprisingly easy to memorize IMO). You might also want to visit a gurdwara or talk to a Sikh sometime.

Hi my frnd xkatz !

do you got luck n visited Gurdwara ? ;)

Last edited:

xkatz

Hi my frnd xkatz !

do you got luck n visited Gurdwara ? ;)

Still no, but I have good news. There is a youtube channel that has all the local gurudwara's kirtans on it :D And it comes with subtitles :rainbow1:

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
I'll be honest I've never studied Sikhism, but I'd like to. It's one of the few religions I haven't studied. I am Chinese Pure Land, so I kind of see Buddhism and Daoism as going together, as it often does in China. Lao Tzu and the Buddha were teaching the same thing in a different style and mode. I do know what you mean about it lacking a divine element though. I'd like to study Sikhism some.