• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Fake News" in Today's Political Climate

ecco

Veteran Member
Failed attempt at wordplay? After you stated that Trump was "manufacturing" an intangible, abstract emotion?
Yeah, Failed attempt at wordplay. You can continue to dig your hole deeper if you want to.
man·u·fac·ture
/ˌman(y)əˈfak(t)SHər/
verb
  1. 1.
    make (something) on a large scale using machinery.
    "a company that manufactured paint-by-number sets"
    synonyms: make, produce, mass produce, build, construct, assemble, put together, create, fabricate, prefabricate, turn out, process, form, fashion, model, mold, shape, forge, engineer
    "the company manufactures laser printers"

2. 2.
    invent or fabricate (evidence or a story).
    "the tabloid industry that manufactures epochal discoveries out of thin air"
    synonyms: make up, invent, fabricate, concoct, hatch, dream up, think up, trump up, devise, formulate, frame, contrive, construct, coin;
    informalcook up
    "the story was manufactured by the press"

Even children are supposed to know that "manufacture" has multiple meanings...
Here it is from Kids.Net.Au - Dictionary > Definition: manufacture

3. make up something artificial or untrue

ecco

Veteran Member
No, not selective memory. If there were some things I missed or had forgotten, then it's only because I'm human.

It's really not that big a deal anyway, yet you obviously went to so much work (so I gave you an "Informative" frubal) to prove to me that Trump made erroneous and/or questionable statements about Obama's birthplace. Why should it matter now anyway?

I posted three instances of Trump's behavior...

It seems you do not understand the difference between presenting opposing views and:
Trump lying about Obama's place of birth
Trump Belitting John McCain
Trump Belittling a handicapped reporter
etc.

You chose to respond to the one about the birther issue.

I don't recall Trump lying about Obama's place of birth. As I recall, Trump was only calling for Obama and/or the State of Hawaii to release his birth certificate, which they finally did after Trump kept badgering them about it. They were stonewalling on that, so it was merely a matter of the squeaky wheel getting the grease. Once it was released and it was proven that he was born in the United States, the matter was immediately dropped.

If you didn't remember the details, maybe you should have double checked your recollections before posting. Or maybe you should have chosen a different one to respond to.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
That was already addressed in post #10 to Stevicus.

No, it wasn't. I hadn't even asked the question yet at that point. In post #10, you mainly talked about Trump's speeches and rallies, which had nothing to do with the OP's question or anything I was discussing.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Yeah, Failed attempt at wordplay. You can continue to dig your hole deeper if you want to.
man·u·fac·ture
/ˌman(y)əˈfak(t)SHər/
verb
  1. 1.
    make (something) on a large scale using machinery.
    "a company that manufactured paint-by-number sets"
    synonyms: make, produce, mass produce, build, construct, assemble, put together, create, fabricate, prefabricate, turn out, process, form, fashion, model, mold, shape, forge, engineer
    "the company manufactures laser printers"
  2. 2.
    invent or fabricate (evidence or a story).
    "the tabloid industry that manufactures epochal discoveries out of thin air"
    synonyms: make up, invent, fabricate, concoct, hatch, dream up, think up, trump up, devise, formulate, frame, contrive, construct, coin;
    informalcook up
    "the story was manufactured by the press"

Even children are supposed to know that "manufacture" has multiple meanings...
Here it is from Kids.Net.Au - Dictionary > Definition: manufacture

3. make up something artificial or untrue

You're the one who is digging himself in a hole. If your contention here is that Trump "made up" or "concocted" the fear in question, then it still would imply that such fear never existed prior to Trump. Either that, or you're saying that Trump is claiming that the people fear something, yet (according to your insinuations) such fears do not exist among the body politic.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I posted three instances of Trump's behavior...

You chose to respond to the one about the birther issue.

If you didn't remember the details, maybe you should have double checked your recollections before posting. Or maybe you should have chosen a different one to respond to.

Or maybe you could have just stuck to the topic instead of bringing up irrelevancies. You're so obsessed with Trump that you can't even think straight.

ecco

Veteran Member
Well, I guess Mr. Stevicus really put me in my place.

I wonder if he understands sarcasm

I guess I'd better not give him more ammunition by commenting on the insanity of Trump attacking a dead man.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
For those obsessed with Trump, this was in the news today.....
Trump Cites Ian Bremmer Tweet as Example of Why Libel Laws Need to Change
Excerpted.....
Bremmer, the founder and president of Eurasia Group who is also a columnist and editor-at-large for Time, published a tweet over the weekend that contained a false quote from Trump about North Korea. In the since-deleted post, Bremmer quoted Trump as saying “Kim Jong Un is smarter and would make a better President than Sleepy Joe Biden.” The quote was shared by Rep. Ted Lieu of California and several popular pundits, including Ana Navarro-Cardenas.
When Bremmer was confronted on the fake quote, he defended it by saying it was “plausible” and somehow made a point about the larger state of news media.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
SO this joke is more important than all the lies Trump has told over and over???

ecco

Veteran Member
For those obsessed with Trump, this was in the news today.....
Trump Cites Ian Bremmer Tweet as Example of Why Libel Laws Need to Change
Excerpted.....
Bremmer, the founder and president of Eurasia Group who is also a columnist and editor-at-large for Time, published a tweet over the weekend that contained a false quote from Trump about North Korea. In the since-deleted post, Bremmer quoted Trump as saying “Kim Jong Un is smarter and would make a better President than Sleepy Joe Biden.” The quote was shared by Rep. Ted Lieu of California and several popular pundits, including Ana Navarro-Cardenas.
When Bremmer was confronted on the fake quote, he defended it by saying it was “plausible” and somehow made a point about the larger state of news media.
Wow. A long post condemning Ian Bremmer for posting something untrue.

If you spent as much time commenting on Trump's untrue posts, you'd really kick up your post count.

Have you ever commented on an untrue Trump post? Just askin'.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Wow. A long post condemning Ian Bremmer for posting something untrue.

If you spent as much time commenting on Trump's untrue posts, you'd really kick up your post count.

Have you ever commented on an untrue Trump post? Just askin'.
The thread's theme is fake news....& this was fake news.

Ya know....I expected you in particular to carp about my
posting a news item about a liberal making up fake news.
And you also know that it would be wrong for me to reward
your whataboutism by answering your challenges.

It's also clear that you don't even read my posts
which are critical of Trump & his various acts.
Be more attentive....& less reactionary.

Lyndon

Premium Member
Half of everything that comes out of Trump's mouth is fake news, but you never say anything about it!!

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Half of everything that comes out of Trump's mouth is fake news, but you never say anything about it!!
You're the other suspect.
And you don't have the courtesy to alert me to yer snark.
Oh, you liberals....kings of the whataboutistry.
You just cannot admit that your side generates fake news.
And so your response is always....
"Hey, look over there!"

Lyndon

Premium Member
He said it was a joke, he didn't think it would be taken seriously. Unlike Trump, who wants his lies and fake news to be taken seriously.

ecco

Veteran Member
The thread's theme is fake news....& this was fake news.

Ya know....I expected you in particular to carp about my
posting a news item about a liberal making up fake news.
And you also know that it would be wrong for me to reward
your whataboutism by answering your challenges.

It's also clear that you don't even read my posts
which are critical of Trump & his various acts.
Be more attentive....& less reactionary.

I'll stand by my comment:

I usually do read your posts. How could I have missed so many posts of yours "critical of Trump & his various acts"?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'll stand by my comment:
Perhaps you strive for a post count.
But I don't. It's just what happens.
I usually do read your posts. How could I have missed so many posts of yours "critical of Trump & his various acts"?
You haven't read enuf then.
But this is still you deflecting with whataboutism.
It's not interesting conversation.

Btw, notice that I don't challenge you to show positive posts about something he did.

Last edited:

ecco

Veteran Member
Btw, notice that I don't challenge you to show positive posts about something he did.
That would indeed be a tough challenge. Offhand, I can't think of anything positive he did...

Have Mexico pay for The Wall - didn't happen.
Bring back jobs in coal mines - didn't happen.
Bring back auto manufacturing - didn't happen.

Denigrate the Press - not positive.
Hurl insults like a second-grade bully - not positive.
Hire and fire many top-level staffers - not positive.
Hire a bunch of people who were subsequently convicted of an assortment of crimes - not positive.
Have Flynn lie to his VP Pence - not positive.

Gulp! Gee Mr. ingest, that would have been a really tough challenge. I'm sure glad you didn't propose it.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
That would indeed be a tough challenge. Offhand, I can't think of anything positive he did...

Have Mexico pay for The Wall - didn't happen.
Bring back jobs in coal mines - didn't happen.
Bring back auto manufacturing - didn't happen.

Denigrate the Press - not positive.
Hurl insults like a second-grade bully - not positive.
Hire and fire many top-level staffers - not positive.
Hire a bunch of people who were subsequently convicted of an assortment of crimes - not positive.
Have Flynn lie to his VP Pence - not positive.

Gulp! Gee Mr. ingest, that would have been a really tough challenge. I'm sure glad you didn't propose it.
It's a problem when one cannot see any merit on the other side.
This bespeaks fanaticism.