• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Fake News" in Today's Political Climate

Shad

Veteran Member
Well, when Trump assails the "Main stream media" these are the companies that he goes after. For print media it's primarily WAPO and NYT.

So perhaps you consider them dinosaurs, but to Trump they are the enemy that he needs to disparage constantly.

MSM is considered legacy media. Those companies still rely upon a newspaper procedure while new forms popping up on the net do not. These days internet media and/or journalists can get in front of their camera, record or stream a report and its out in the public in little time. I think that is where the dinosaur reference is coming from.

For example take the Covington case. The larger MSM companies got it wrong while a few people on the internet busted the story right open with a single video posting on a site like Reddit or FB. If I remember correctly someone found the racist black Hebrews posted video on FB and downloaded/copied/mirroed it.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Well, when Trump assails the "Main stream media" these are the companies that he goes after. For print media it's primarily WAPO and NYT.

So perhaps you consider them dinosaurs, but to Trump they are the enemy that he needs to disparage constantly.

Ok, I was responding directly to the OP. You took it down this side-track.

I see that you were unable to respond to my comments. That's OK. I understand.

I had no interest in responding to your comments. This is your axe to grind, not mine.

Last edited:

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Maybe you and I watched different Trump rally speeches. The loudest cheers of approval were when Trump screamed "We're gonna build a wall and who's gonna pay for it?" and the crowd screamed back "Mexico".

Why did they all want a wall with Mexico? The answer to that can be seen from the people Trump trotted out as supporters: Families that had lost loved ones to Illegal Mexican immigrants.

We can also go by Trump's characterization of the Mexicans: Rapists & Gang members.

Trump sold FEAR and the Sheeples bought it.

This isn't really about Trump or his supporters. The OP's question was about dissension and anger in today's political climate - that goes across the board. Trump and his supporters are only a symptom of a deeper problem.

The key states which put Trump over the top in the 2016 election were Rust Belt states, where Trump's attacks on free trade chimed with a lot of blue collar workers, many of whom have been struggling.

What, in your view, do the people fear, and why do they fear it? If you say they fear Mexicans and Muslims, then you're only looking at it on a surface level and not delving deeper. Of course, Trump is going to take advantage of the fear and angst in society and try to manipulate the masses for his own gain; that's what politicians do in general.

You and many others may not like it, but the fact remains, if you're unsympathetic to the needs of the people and don't know/don't care what they want or what they feel, then that's on you for not caring enough or not paying enough attention to what's going on.

Earlier you blamed the mainstream media, which you distrust, of promoting "Consumerism, globalism, capitalism, hedonism, greed, apathy, complacency". Now we see it's "just about every advertisement on every media outlet"

I don't see any contradiction here. What's your point?

It's obvious that you don't know the difference between reporting the news, voicing editorials, and advertising.

Since I do know the difference between reporting the news, voicing editorials, and advertising, then whatever you perceive as "obvious" clearly has no value at all in this discussion.

I, and most people I know don't blindly buy in to "Don't worry, be happy.". However, we also don't build underground bunkers, stocked with a year's supply of flash-dried foods. We also realize that Americans shoot and kill far more Americans than Muslim terrorists. In other words, we don't live in fear of manufactured fear.

As FDR eloquently put it, "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself." There's a lot of fear on both sides. A lot of people fear Trump; many compare him to Hitler and imagine all kinds of bizarre stuff. A lot of fear of the Russians, too. Some people go through life so fearful that they need to have "safe spaces" and want anything unpleasant, offensive, or hateful removed from public forums - because it's just so upsetting. Wouldn't you say that these people live in fear of manufactured fear? What's the difference?

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
It wasn't so bad when it had the Fairness Doctrine in news.

What you see today is the result of the removal of that policy. People can't make informed choices anymore and news sources went tabloid and pretty much chucked journalistic integrity and responsibility right out the window.

You're referring to Fox News??

74x12

Some serious examples would go a long way to changing your comments from assertion to factual statements.

Also, I couldn't help but notice that your comments sound a lot like the comments creos make about science.
If people don't see it at this point; they're willfully blind.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I read a conservative newspaper and a liberal newspaper every day, 7 days a week, including editorials and opinion. It's always interesting, when an important event is being reported on, or when opinions are being voiced, to note which "facts" are included on one side and ignored on the other...because it's there that you're going to find the bias. But once you've found it, you now have a chance to evaluate all of the "facts" provided on both sides of the argument, and hopefully come to a better-informed conclusion.

I think people who listen only to Fox, or only to CNN (in the US, in Canada the networks are different) are doing themselves a disservice...cheating themselves of a fuller understanding, on which they can make their political choices.

Sadly, I'm also aware that that's how most people do it...taking the easy way.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
Except the exact same people that are telling us the MSM is "Fake news" are also telling us to get our news from Fox News!! Something is seriously wrong with this picture!!

ecco

Veteran Member
MSM is considered legacy media. Those companies still rely upon a newspaper procedure while new forms popping up on the net do not. These days internet media and/or journalists can get in front of their camera, record or stream a report and its out in the public in little time. I think that is where the dinosaur reference is coming from.

For example take the Covington case. The larger MSM companies got it wrong while a few people on the internet busted the story right open with a single video posting on a site like Reddit or FB. If I remember correctly someone found the racist black Hebrews posted video on FB and downloaded/copied/mirroed it.
Be that as it may. These are not the outlets Trump is constantly bashing.

ecco

Veteran Member
You and many others may not like it, but the fact remains, if you're unsympathetic to the needs of the people and don't know/don't care what they want or what they feel, then that's on you for not caring enough or not paying enough attention to what's going on.
I am completely unsympathetic to:
People who blame immigration for their loss of jobs.
People who believed Trump would bring back coal mining jobs.
People who believed Trump would bring back automobile manufacturing jobs.
People who believed Trump would bring steel mill jobs.
People who fear getting blown up by a Muslim or shot by Mexican but have no problem with automatic weapons being available to any good American that wants them.
People who believed (believe) that Mexico would pay for the border wall.

I could go on.

ecco

Veteran Member
I've never really trusted the mainstream media; I think they have a pro-corporate agenda which has remained largely the same - even long before Trump came on the scene. For decades, they've been advocating policies which screw the working classes and make the rich richer - and this is what has created the kindling and fuel for the "fire" that we're seeing today.

You want concrete examples? I wouldn't even know where to begin. We can start with just about every advertisement on every media outlet - if you want concrete examples. The media support capitalism. They send a very clear message that money is all that matters - and that those who have are "winners" while those who don't have are "losers." You've never noticed any of this stuff? You must really live in a bubble.

I don't see any contradiction here. What's your point?

Since I do know the difference between reporting the news, voicing editorials, and advertising, then whatever you perceive as "obvious" clearly has no value at all in this discussion.

In your first quoted comment, you blamed the "mainstream media". When I asked for examples, you couldn't find any. So you then stated the problem was with advertisers.

That's the contradiction. That's why I said you didn't know the difference between reporting the news, voicing editorials, and advertising.

ecco

Veteran Member
ecco:
I, and most people I know don't blindly buy in to "Don't worry, be happy.". However, we also don't build underground bunkers, stocked with a year's supply of flash-dried foods. We also realize that Americans shoot and kill far more Americans than Muslim terrorists. In other words, we don't live in fear of manufactured fear.

As FDR eloquently put it, "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself." There's a lot of fear on both sides. A lot of people fear Trump; many compare him to Hitler
I don't fear him as much as I despise him and what he is doing to this Country.
I compare him to Mussolini. Fat, arrogant, loud-mouthed, egomaniac.
4014a54f60f6dc5d4eeee1adbf9e7c1a.jpg

A lot of fear of the Russians, too.

Not as many as in the past now that Trump has buddied up to Putin.

Some people go through life so fearful that they need to have "safe spaces" and want anything unpleasant, offensive, or hateful removed from public forums - because it's just so upsetting.

Why do find it necessary to conflate "fear" with "offensive"?

Wouldn't you say that these people live in fear of manufactured fear?
The people who live in manufactured fear are those who are afraid of Mexicans and Muslims. That's the kind of fear peddled by people like Trump and Brenton Tarrant.

ecco

Veteran Member
The MSM has been caught lying over and over.

Some serious examples would go a long way to changing your comments from assertion to factual statements.

If people don't see it at this point; they're willfully blind.

So, ya got nuttin. I'm not surprised.

Worth repeating...
Also, I couldn't help but notice that your comments sound a lot like the comments creos make about science.

ecco

Veteran Member
I think people who listen only to Fox, or only to CNN (in the US, in Canada the networks are different) are doing themselves a disservice...cheating themselves of a fuller understanding, on which they can make their political choices.

On more than one occassion I'd be watching CNN covering a news story. I'd flip over to FOX and they're ranting about the evils of Obama or Clinton or Pelosi or praising Trump.

After a while, I stopped bothering going to FOX except very rarely.

Sadly, I'm also aware that that's how most people do it...taking the easy way.

That's not taking the easy way out. That's applied knowledge.